school psychology advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheelchairpsychgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to work with kids. I don't know if it because of my disability, but they seem to gravitate towards me. I would love to work in a hospital setting; I was in and out of them as a child. I know how harsh that environment can be.
I could use some advice. I am currently getting a BSW and a minor and psych. I was planning to graduate next summer, but I want to go back and double in psych. My major requires an internship and the end up the major, hoping to get an internship that's child related. I will be taking the GRE in August. I have a 3.8 GPA, was an elementary stats tutor and an activity coordinator at a nursing home. I was in the process of starting an honors thesis, but decided I'm not ready for such a huge project. I have don't research experience yet. The social work department doesn't really allow DIS. I know when I get back over to the psych department I will be able to get into some labs to do research. I would eventually like to teach at a university as well.
I was a psych major when I first transferred from CC to uni. I switched to SW. The fear began to set in that what if I don't get into a PhD program? I love my SW program, however my heart is with psych.
What would you do if you were in my position?
I was thinking I could get a EdS first.... but would it be a waste of time if I want to teach/work in a hospital?
I have a about two years left in undergrad but is that enough time to gain research experience?
How many schools did y'all apply to? Would you suggest doing a mix of PhD and EdS for backup?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

PhD programs with a few Master's programs; if you're lacking on research experience, make sure the Master's programs you apply to will give you that experience.