School Psychology PhD/PsyD thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are some School Psych programs that place more emphasis on APA Internships, but the vast majority of School Psych Phd students will never even apply to APPIC. There are certainly reasons to go APPIC in School Psych, but if that doesn't suit your goals, then that should not be a problem at all.

So do PhD and PsyD school psychs do their internships mostly in school districts then just like an EdS would?

Members don't see this ad.

So do PhD and PsyD school psychs do their internships mostly in school districts then just like an EdS would?

I think this really depends on your program and your personal career focus. Some programs put out 50% of their students in school-setting internships with the other 50% made up of internships in medical facilities, jail systems, and other centers. UT Austin's program in particular seems to prepare school psych students extremely competitive for internship placement. They also focus on exposing students to a diversity of careers and roles for the school psychologist outside of schools.

Most programs provide internship placement information for the past few years on their website, and all of them have been happy to email me this information when it's not readily available. I think what role you hope to fulfill as a school psychologist can help determine program choice, and in turn, internship focus.

Thanks for your thorough response...great info to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
On average most school psych PhDs intern in schools (though not necesarily within school districts), but as Femme Feline says, it varies by program. People in school psych programs may also be much more willing to take non APA internships outside of schoolsl, because doing so impacts our career much less then it would a clinical psychologist.

I am wondering about the Phd programs. I had a plan to complete a special education degree, work as a special education teacher and then study to become a school psychologist at the Ed.S level. I find that the Phd will allow me to practice independently and also work in hospitals, which is what I prefer. I sometimes think with budget cuts and teachers receiving annual pink slips that the education field is not for me. Knowing I would rather work in a hospital I am not sure if I want to go ahead with the PhD program, but it seems that the requirements are much more stringent than I remember. I recall looking at a PhD as an option upon graduation from undergrad. After reading some threads here, it seems the requirements are that you have research experience and publications BEFORE you apply to the program, where I thought you worked in research and started publications while you were in the program. Also, if I complete the Ed.S and decide to continue on to a PhD, I am wondering if my credits will transfer over, cutting a 5-6 year program into a 3-4 year program. I want to make sure I am making the right decision and I am understanding my requirements as I have a lot to prepare for before application deadlines for the Spring 13' or Fall 13' semester. In general, what is sought after for PhD applicants as opposed to Ed.S applicants?

Yes, you are correct in that most school psychology PhD programs prefer applicants that already have research experience, because it provides you the basic skills that you need to conduct more advanced research that is expected in a PhD program.

In my experience, programs do not transfer your credits - instead, they waive them. The course waiver process varies school by school. In some programs, your advisor determines which courses he/she is willing to waive. At other programs, you have to provide the professor that teaches the specific course you want to waive your syllabus/coursework, and that professor determines whether or not he/she will waive the course. This latter process is more time-consuming and uncertain, because you have to approach multiple professors.

Therefore, it depends on the program whether an EdS degree will shorten your time in the PhD degree. I would highly recommend that if your ultimate goal is to obtain a PhD, apply directly to PhD programs instead of EdS programs. If you don't have the experience to obtain admissions into a PhD program, find a volunteer or paid research position. There are few universities that offer both EdS and PhD programs and allow students to apply for a transfer from the EdS to the PhD program, but based on what I've seen, the quality of these programs is not as high as it is at programs that are more competitive only consider external applicants.

As for what programs are looking for in PhD applicants as opposed to EdS applicants, they are looking for you to have research experience and interests that match one or more faculty's interests at the program.

Be careful, every program is different in this regards. Reputable school psych doctoral programs (i.e. APA programs) will provide data on number of students who complete APA and non-APA internships.

At my program, it is the EXCEPTION when someone completes a non-APA school internship. Almost everyone completes APA internships.

At my program, based on cohorts the past few years I would say about a 1 in 5 complete a non-APA internship in a school. Of the remaining 80%, I would say about 1/3 complete their APA internship at a school site (there are a number of APA school internships). About 2/3 complete APA internships at sites with only minor rotations in the schools or none at all.

In total numbers 1/2 of school psych folks with PhDs work in schools. Personally, I can not understand the point of completing a phd in school psych and doing a school internship. Why even do your phd if you are only going to pursue a school-based position, where an EDS would suffice?

There are some School Psych programs that place more emphasis on APA Internships, but the vast majority of School Psych Phd students will never even apply to APPIC. There are certainly reasons to go APPIC in School Psych, but if that doesn't suit your goals, then that should not be a problem at all.

Well that's why I noted that there are some programs which emphasize APA internships more, but your program is definitely a rare exception to the rule. You can look up stats on the APPIC website, and you will see that the vast majority of school psych PHD programs have only a very small percentage of APPIC applicants, and that many of the programs that do have higher numbers of applicants (often clinical/school PsyD programs) have abyssmally low acceptance rates.

Completing a school based internship doesn't mean you only ever want to work in a school though. This is easily demonstrated by the fact that so few school psychology students go through APPIC, but yet 50% still work outside of the schools. However many consider working within the school to be our primary area of strength and the logical launching off point for our future career.

Be careful, every program is different in this regards. Reputable school psych doctoral programs (i.e. APA programs) will provide data on number of students who complete APA and non-APA internships.

At my program, it is the EXCEPTION when someone completes a non-APA school internship. Almost everyone completes APA internships.

At my program, based on cohorts the past few years I would say about a 1 in 5 complete a non-APA internship in a school. Of the remaining 80%, I would say about 1/3 complete their APA internship at a school site (there are a number of APA school internships). About 2/3 complete APA internships at sites with only minor rotations in the schools or none at all.

In total numbers 1/2 of school psych folks with PhDs work in schools. Personally, I can not understand the point of completing a phd in school psych and doing a school internship. Why even do your phd if you are only going to pursue a school-based position, where an EDS would suffice?

Interesting points. You call the schools the "logical launching off point for our future career." With the exception of going into academia, I fail to see how working in the schools is a strong starting point. I see it more as an end point, myself. Hospitals and other such settings are more competitive to get into, especially for us school psych folks. I would think one would start off with practicums and internship at a hospital or other settings/work (RTF, adolescent prison, peds/health psych) if they are going to make it. It seems like it would be much harder to work one self up to working at a hospital or other setting with school experience as ones primary experience. Anyways, thats what I'm in the process of doing :laugh:

Well that's why I noted that there are some programs which emphasize APA internships more, but your program is definitely a rare exception to the rule. You can look up stats on the APPIC website, and you will see that the vast majority of school psych PHD programs have only a very small percentage of APPIC applicants, and that many of the programs that do have higher numbers of applicants (often clinical/school PsyD programs) have abyssmally low acceptance rates.

Completing a school based internship doesn't mean you only ever want to work in a school though. This is easily demonstrated by the fact that so few school psychology students go through APPIC, but yet 50% still work outside of the schools. However many consider working within the school to be our primary area of strength and the logical launching off point for our future career.

If your goal is to work in a hospital, then you definitely want to intern in one. As you say though, there can be a bias against school psych people in those settings, so if that's your ultimate goal then I think clinical psych would be a better bet. But of course we don't always know for sure what we want to do until we start our field work (and sometimes not even then).

Alot of people have other goals though. Outside of research and teaching, many want to be involved in private practice in one form or another and I've heard many say that starting out in the schools is great for that. This can include therapy or working at an assessment center. Some also end up working for organizations that specialize in developmenta/learning disabilities, who I've heard can be very school psych friendly.

Personally I've done a lot of practica, but I've never worked at a public school. All of my work has been with learning/developmental disabilities at private institutions.

Interesting points. You call the schools the "logical launching off point for our future career." With the exception of going into academia, I fail to see how working in the schools is a strong starting point. I see it more as an end point, myself. Hospitals and other such settings are more competitive to get into, especially for us school psych folks. I would think one would start off with practicums and internship at a hospital or other settings/work (RTF, adolescent prison, peds/health psych) if they are going to make it. It seems like it would be much harder to work one self up to working at a hospital or other setting with school experience as ones primary experience. Anyways, thats what I'm in the process of doing :laugh:

There aren't many School Psychology people on here, so I figured I would post on here. I received two acceptances for School Psychology PhD's and I'm torn between the two. Does anyone know of rankings available? Does it even matter which is the "better" school?

There aren't many School Psychology people on here, so I figured I would post on here. I received two acceptances for School Psychology PhD's and I'm torn between the two. Does anyone know of rankings available? Does it even matter which is the "better" school?

What schools? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post)

In applied (clinical/counseling/school) psych, there are really no good rankings, in part because so much depends on your individual mentor.

I know not all School Psych programs fall into educational psychology departments, but many do - so I will throw this out there for you. Granted, it is just one of the US News grad school rankings, so take from it what you will, but it just was updated and may still provide some valuable/interesting information.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools/education-psychology-rankings

If you're going to consider rankings, the Journal of School Psychology published an article that ranked school psychology programs based on authorship credit, number of journal article publications, and number of journal citations between 2005 and 2009. The citation is:

Kranzler, J.H., Grapin, S.L., & Daley, M.L. (2011). Research productivity and scholarly impact of APA-accredited school psychology programs: 2005–2009. Journal of School Psychology, 49, 721-738.

I can send you a pdf if you pm me. However, I warn you that even if you are research-oriented, you should consider these rankings cautiously. Faculty within a program vary in their productivity. Therefore, you can have an extremely productive mentor within a program that is only mildly productive as a whole, or you can have a mildly productive faculty member within a program that is extremely productive as a whole. When selecting a program based on research fit, you should primarily consider your mentor's productivity. Also, faculty have moved since 2009. I rejected an offer from a program that was in the top 5 of these rankings for a program between 10-20 of the rankings because my research fit was better at the "lower ranked" program.

To answer your question, "Does it matter which is the better school?", I would answer no if by better you mean higher ranked. I strongly encourage you to examine your own goals and which school would better meet your needs - that is significantly more important than anything you'll learn from these rankings. I noticed significant differences between the programs I interviewed at, and I'm not talking about funding - differences in the research the faculty was conducting, the orientation of the faculty, the types and quality of the practicum sites available, the extent of the area's implementation of RtI, the sequence of coursework and practicum, the size of the cohort, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your thoughts about attending a PhD program that is APA accredited but not NASP accredited? My current options are attending this program or attending a masters in Ed psych +PPS school psych credential program that is NASP accredited. I applied to other NASP + APA dual accredited PhD programs but was rejected.

I was ready to accept at the PhD program however I found that they may have had accreditation issues in the past topped with the fact that they are not NASP accredited. My non-psych friends know it's a big/recognizable name so of course many of them think it doesn't matter, however I'm curious about other school psych opinions. Thanks!

I think I may know the program you are talking about. It is one that I am interested in as well (applying fall 2012). You should see what their recent grads are doing and see if its a match for your goals. If it is the program I am thinking of, they are more interested in training researchers and academics. If you are simply interested in working as a School Psychologist, perhaps the NASP accredited Eds makes more sense.

I wasn't aware that they had APA accreditation issues in the past. That is concerning. What have you heard? If you don't feel comfortable discussing it here, would you mind pm'ing me?

I know of such a program myself. If its the same program in the southwest, I would definitely avoid it. PM for more info....

What are your thoughts about attending a PhD program that is APA accredited but not NASP accredited? My current options are attending this program or attending a masters in Ed psych +PPS school psych credential program that is NASP accredited. I applied to other NASP + APA dual accredited PhD programs but was rejected.

I was ready to accept at the PhD program however I found that they may have had accreditation issues in the past topped with the fact that they are not NASP accredited. My non-psych friends know it's a big/recognizable name so of course many of them think it doesn't matter, however I'm curious about other school psych opinions. Thanks!

As PsychPhDHopeful states, it depends on your goals. Do you plan on practicing as a school psychologist in the state that the PhD program is in, or are you possibly interested in practicing as a school psychologist in other states (in which case becoming a NCSP would be very useful)? Maybe others can speak about the difficulty in becoming a NCSP if you graduate from a program not approved by NASP. If you are primarily interested in working outside of the schools, then the lack of NASP approval isn't a significant problem.

it actually isn't that hard, to get NCSP from a non-NASP program....i have a few friends who did it!

well, if your enrolling into an EDS program you won't have to worry about an APA/APPIC internship. Even if you switch into a phd program, if you are happy working in the schools, you won't have to worry about a APA/APPIC internship. Otherwise, if you do enter a phd program and want options outside of schools, look at the program stats on internship, contact and talk with teh program and ask faculty and students about where students go for internship and afterwards. good luck!

Hi all :) I've posted on the 2012 Psychology Acceptance thread but didn't get a response so thought I'd try here.

I was accepted, but lack of funding is an issue for me. :scared: If anyone has any insight, advice, knowledge or opinions about this particular program - I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance!

I am curious to know what people think of the school psych PsyD program at Fairleigh Dickinson? Its not yet APA accredited, but I think its NASP accredited. How important is APA accreditation for school psych doctorates? Specifically how might Fairleigh Dickinson compare to St. Johns University?

Im also wondering if the same issues exist in school psych surrounding the PhD/PsyD debate as they do in clinical psych.

thanks!

Hey -

If you wanna work solely in the schools then no, APA accred is not that important. If you want to work in academia as a school psych faculty member, its nice to have but frequently is not a make or break thing. From my understanding, funding there is not great and does not, from my understanding based upon a friend of mine who attended, cover all tuition costs (and certainly not all living costs associated with the NYC area). Good luck :)

I am curious to know what people think of the school psych PsyD program at Fairleigh Dickinson? Its not yet APA accredited, but I think its NASP accredited. How important is APA accreditation for school psych doctorates? Specifically how might Fairleigh Dickinson compare to St. Johns University?

Im also wondering if the same issues exist in school psych surrounding the PhD/PsyD debate as they do in clinical psych.

thanks!

Hi guys,

I am applying to school psych programs for 2013 and my head is swimming from options and lack of info.

I am trying to base my decision on the following factors: location, funding, research interests, years to complete, how long the program has existed, number of dedicated faculty, practice to research balance, APA and NASP accreditation, and internship success rates. I have a crazy spreadsheet that is getting out of control.

Anything other factors I should add?

These are the schools I am considering, for the moment, although the list changes often:
UC Riverside
UC Santa Barbara
UC Berkeley (I am aware they are not NASP accredited)
Indiana University
Northeastern University (MA only, PhD program is neither NASP or APA accredited
Tufts University (MA only)
UMASS Amherst
UMASS Boston (MA only)
Columbia, Teacher's College
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin
University of Connecticut
University of Maryland

Any info on these schools' programs, posted or PMed would be much appreciated. Any other recommended programs would be appreciated too. I am looking for a well funded school, in a good location (either a city or a nice place to live), that is really interested in both sides of the researcher-practioner balance.

A few things I've heard from others or learned myself.....

Look at faculty fit.

Berkley & Columbia both have very poor funding. Many students do not receive funding or only receive a portion of the costs. On top of that, NYC and Berkley are not exactly cheap places to live. So expect to take out massive loans if you go to either school.

Some of the programs on your list (well, Wisconsin in particular) pushes very strongly for folks interested in an academic route.

I would consider adding (or at least consider) Tulane, U Texas, U of South Carolina and Georgia State. Those programs have faculty that have high research productivity, support balanced research/clinical training, and fund pretty well. Well - I have heard mixed things about funding at U Texas, but the others I have heard are good in terms of funding.

Good luck :)

Hi guys,

I am applying to school psych programs for 2013 and my head is swimming from options and lack of info.

I am trying to base my decision on the following factors: location, funding, research interests, years to complete, how long the program has existed, number of dedicated faculty, practice to research balance, APA and NASP accreditation, and internship success rates. I have a crazy spreadsheet that is getting out of control.

Anything other factors I should add?

These are the schools I am considering, for the moment, although the list changes often:
UC Riverside
UC Santa Barbara
UC Berkeley (I am aware they are not NASP accredited)
Indiana University
Northeastern University (MA only, PhD program is neither NASP or APA accredited
Tufts University (MA only)
UMASS Amherst
UMASS Boston (MA only)
Columbia, Teacher's College
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin
University of Connecticut
University of Maryland

Any info on these schools' programs, posted or PMed would be much appreciated. Any other recommended programs would be appreciated too. I am looking for a well funded school, in a good location (either a city or a nice place to live), that is really interested in both sides of the researcher-practioner balance.

Thanks for the info! I knew that Berkeley and Teachers College might have issues with funding, and am moving away from applying to Teachers College, but Berkeley... the faculty, location, rep, still are tempting me. I might just apply and see if there is any funding to be had.

University of Texas was added today, as well as University of Virginia. I am really intrigued by UVA's combined clinical and school psychology program. It seems to have the right balance of practice and research and great funding, but it might be way too competitive for me to get in. UCSB has something similar, with counseling added in, but the faculty don't impress me as much. Any thoughts?

What are your research interests? Clinically, in what types of settings do you want to work? If you don't feel comfortable posting this information, PM me and I may be able to help you narrow/expand your list.

When you say internship success rates, are you specifically interested in their match rates to APA-accredited internships?

In general, I highly recommend the following programs because of their strong research, funding, and/or APA-internship match rate (based on my experience or other interviewees' experiences):

Lehigh University
Louisiana State University
Michigan State University
Syracuse University
Tulane University
University of Georgia
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
University of South Carolina

The University of Minnesota and the University of Oregon also have top programs, but their APA-accredited internship match rates are low (probably because their students are more interested in becoming academics/practicing primarily in the schools, for which APA-accredited internships are not necessary).

If funding is a strong factor in your decision, I would not recommend UT Austin. The university-level fellowships are the only good funding packages there, and they are extremely, extremely competitive. However, in terms of clinical experiences, it is probably one of the best programs, if not the best, and the research and practice demands of the program are balanced.

I would second that the funding is poor at Columbia but is excellent at Maryland. The program at UConn is another one whose primary goal appears to be to produce academics.

The program websites are not always clear about funding. One good indicator of a program's funding is the grant support that the faculty is receiving (examine the faculty CV's for the amount of the grant and the source).

Thanks for the info! I knew that Berkeley and Teachers College might have issues with funding, and am moving away from applying to Teachers College, but Berkeley... the faculty, location, rep, still are tempting me. I might just apply and see if there is any funding to be had.

University of Texas was added today, as well as University of Virginia. I am really intrigued by UVA's combined clinical and school psychology program. It seems to have the right balance of practice and research and great funding, but it might be way too competitive for me to get in. UCSB has something similar, with counseling added in, but the faculty don't impress me as much. Any thoughts?
I just interviewed at a bunch of school psych programs, and here are my personal impressions: Depending on your interests, UCSB has some very influential professors, actually (ie Shane Jimerson). Washington and UCSB both have fairly spotty funding, however, especially Washington. Oregon is very focused on academia and school-based work but has a great match record for students who do participate in the APA match (most students would rather stay in the Pacific Northwest and not deal with the match, however). Nebraska is an amazing program--great research and practice opportunities, awesome professors, tons of funding. If you can see yourself living in Nebraska (Lincoln is actually quite nice) I'd very strongly recommend it. I have not heard great things about Berkeley.

At least when I interviewed in 2010, University of Texas did not have good funding for school psych students and was quite upfront about this during the interview weekend. Things may have changed since then, though. Impressive program in other regards, though.

I interviewed at Nebraska as well and was very, very impressed--excellent funding, excellent match rates, amazing faculty, etc. Definitely worth a look.

I've been contacting department chairs/program directors at various school psychology programs seeking to see whether or not my background will allow me to even be considered for their programs. I've heard back from about half, of which the feedback has been positive. Should I not even bother applying to the programs that I don't get responses from? Is it OK to email a different person within the department if I haven't received a response for over a month? Or is that normal since it's summer time?

In my experience, a lot of professors are just not very good at responding to e-mails. I wouldn't necesarily take a lack of response as a sign of anything more negative then that. Depending on the school, many people may be away for the summer too, especially in August.

I've been contacting department chairs/program directors at various school psychology programs seeking to see whether or not my background will allow me to even be considered for their programs. I've heard back from about half, of which the feedback has been positive. Should I not even bother applying to the programs that I don't get responses from? Is it OK to email a different person within the department if I haven't received a response for over a month? Or is that normal since it's summer time?

In my experience, a lot of professors are just not very good at responding to e-mails. I wouldn't necesarily take a lack of response as a sign of anything more negative then that. Depending on the school, many people may be away for the summer too, especially in August.

Seconded. If your stats are generally in line with those of recently-admitted classes, I say apply. As FadedC mentioned, faculty can be really, really bad about replying to emails (particularly from people they don't know).

Thanks the replies...

I am applying to PhD programs for fall 2013. Does anyone have any opinions/knowledge about the PhD programs below? Perhaps someone interviewed at one or more of these schools? Any information would be great. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer to not to post here.

Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, or Connecticut

In addition, I will also be applying to W&M and Trinity (Tx) for their masters programs.

Thanks the replies...

I am applying to PhD programs for fall 2013. Does anyone have any opinions/knowledge about the PhD programs below? Perhaps someone interviewed at one or more of these schools? Any information would be great. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer to not to post here.

In addition, I will also be applying to W&M and Trinity (Tx) for their masters programs.
I think I've mentioned this before on this thread, but I interviewed at Nebraska and it's a very impressive program with great research and practicum opportunities as well as amazing funding. I chose elsewhere due largely to research fit, but it's an outstanding program. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Thanks the replies...

Kansas's program has excellent resources inside and outside the department if you're interested in performing research using advanced quantitative methods. The faculty are very friendly and helpful. However, they do not guarantee financial support. Most students are able to secure assistantships outside of the department, but some of them are time-intensive and require travel to Kansas City. Their match rate to APA-accredited internships is low, which may or may not be a problem for you depending on your career goals. Practicum starts in the second year through their in-house clinic, so you don't start working in the schools until your third year (whereas in some programs you start working in the schools your first year). I interviewed at the program and ended up accepting another offer, but I'm still glad that I applied there and checked it out. If you want more specific info, you can PM me.

Sent my application for Temple's School Psych PhD..... so excited and nervous...... anyone else applying to Temple or other school psych this year??

I'm applying to School Psychology PhD programs next year, and I'm starting to put together my list...

I'm looking at the following schools, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any info about the reputation of these programs, and any info on the quality of funding!

UC Berkeley
UW Madison
University of Houston
Northeastern
Indiana University
UMass Amherst

Thanks, all!

I'm applying to School Psychology PhD programs next year, and I'm starting to put together my list...

I'm looking at the following schools, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any info about the reputation of these programs, and any info on the quality of funding!

UC Berkeley
UW Madison
University of Houston
Northeastern
Indiana University
UMass Amherst

Thanks, all!

I interviewed at Northeastern last year. Since it's new, I don't believe they have NASP or APA accreditation just yet but they are working on it and have to wait until they have had at least one student in each year of the program. If I'm not mistaken, they should have it in the next 2 or 3 years. They only admitted 3 students last year and it was because they wanted to guarantee full funding and a stipend (around $16,000) for all. Northeastern is ridiculously expensive so I think it's a good move on their part.

Aside from that, I found all the professors to be extremely kind, approachable, and knowledgeable. They have some pretty awesome research going on. The building they are located in is newly built and gorgeous (unlike most of the buildings that house school psych departments). I do recall them having intense fieldwork requirements, more than any of the other programs I applied to, but that falls directly in line with the mission of Northeastern as a whole. Overall, I was very impressed, despite my hesitancy for it being such a young program.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Hi, everyone! I'm living in Florida (Broward County). Looking into attending Barry university (SSP) then after the SSP-3 year program applying to Nova Southeastern University (PsyD). Nova is not APA approved. Does anyone know how this affects me in future if I want to work in private practice? Thanks!

UC Berkeley
UW Madison
University of Houston
Northeastern
Indiana University
UMass Amherst

Thanks, all!
Hi Sondra,

I've heard multiple very negative reports about UC Berkeley's school psych program from people who recently interviewed there. PM me if you want more info.

UC Berkeley
UW Madison
University of Houston
Northeastern
Indiana University
UMass Amherst

Thanks, all!

UW Madison is a classic school psychology program with a very high reputation. 2 years ago my colleagues who had applied there were not guaranteed funding, even though traditionally they are known as a well-funded program, so you should definitely contact professors/students to check on the current status.

University of Houston is a newer program that is slowly building its reputation. I know they've had some faculty attrition recently, so you may want to probe current students to determine what's happening there. Because they are in Houston, they offer great practicum opportunities.

hey all,

I figured i'd post here as this seems to be the hub for any school psych questions.

I graduated from undergrad in 2008 (3.5 GPA, 3.7 psych major GPA) and have been bouncing around other jobs since then.

I am now considering a career as a school psychologist, but i'm wondering if it is possible or realistic to be accepted into a program with my unrelated history. anybody have any ideas/suggestions for me?

also, do you need any research of clinical volunteer experience to be admitted into school psych programs? i know this is essential for Clinical PhD's and Psych D's, but it seems like School Psych is a whole different animal.

finally, would i have to worry about ageism when trying to look for my first job? if i do get into a program, i will be 30 by the time i graduate...will this put me at a disadvantage compared to others who are 25/26 and applying for the same jobs?

I am now considering a career as a school psychologist, but i'm wondering if it is possible or realistic to be accepted into a program with my unrelated history. anybody have any ideas/suggestions for me?

Are you looking to get into a PhD or a master's/specialist program? You don't need a PhD if you only want to become a practicing school psychologist; it's really only essential if you want a career in research, academia, or in an environment outside of the public schools. I mention this because master's and PhD programs tend to look for two different things in applicants. To gain admission into PhD programs, it's pretty important to have some sort of research background (even if it's not directly related to school psychology). Master's programs, on the other hand, are a bit more lenient.

Are you looking to get into a PhD or a master's/specialist program? You don't need a PhD if you only want to become a practicing school psychologist; it's really only essential if you want a career in research, academia, or in an environment outside of the public schools. I mention this because master's and PhD programs tend to look for two different things in applicants. To gain admission into PhD programs, it's pretty important to have some sort of research background (even if it's not directly related to school psychology). Master's programs, on the other hand, are a bit more lenient.

definitely only interested in being a practicing psychologist, the academic life is not for me. so, what sort of practical experience do i need to be admitted into one of the Master's programs?

definitely only interested in being a practicing psychologist, the academic life is not for me. so, what sort of practical experience do i need to be admitted into one of the Master's programs?

It would probably be in your best interest to have some sort of background in at least one of the following areas: psychology, education, or child care (particularly working with children who have disabilities). This can range anywhere from counseling to teaching to nannying to working in a residency program. Of course, the more experience, the better. I actually doubt that many programs require practical experience so it instead becomes more of a competition against the other applicants. With that said, if you can write a compelling statement for why you would excel as a school psychologist and you have good stats, it can make up for what you lack in experience. I would bet this applies similarly to PhD program admission but, like I said, they care way more about research experience (whereas research experience for a master's program is pretty much icing on the cake).

This requires being trained at the doctoral-level. If you want to be a school psychologist, that is a slightly different animal, but independant practice outside of a school setting still requires doctoral-level training. Some states may vary on scope of practice, so definitely check with your state licensing board about the scope of practice and educational requirements with being a school psychologist.

This requires being trained at the doctoral-level. If you want to be a school psychologist, that is a slightly different animal, but independent practice outside of a school setting still requires doctoral-level training. Some states may vary on scope of practice, so definitely check with your state licensing board about the scope of practice and educational requirements with being a school psychologist.

Ah, yes. Just to clarify my previous post, school psychologist and psychologist are two different things and shouldn't be used interchangeably.

School psychologist - Need a master's/specialist degree. Mainly restricted to practice in the public schools (though some states allow you to practice in other settings).

Psychologist - Need a doctoral degree in school psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, or industrial/organizational psychology. If you get a doctoral degree in school psychology, you can practice in the public schools, but this is rare. Instead, most doctoral-level school psychologists have a career in research, academia, or in an environment outside of the public schools.

Last edited:
my apologies for the confusion, I meant to say that I only want to be a practicing school psychologist, so it looks like the Masters program is the better fit.

anybody know what sort of stats you need to be accepted to these? (i have a 3.5 GPA, 3.7 for all Psych classes)