School Psychology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randisimo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have applied to various PhD and MA/MS programs. I have been wait listed and subsequently rejected from the PhD programs with the exception of a FSPS which I know is a bad option.

I am thinking of attending a MS counseling program and then applying to a school psychology program (PhD) afterwards. My concerns are as follows....

1. In the MS program I worry if i will be able to get enough research experience...though I have decent enough credentials to get interviews I would like to have some more experience and perhaps even a pub or two....

2. I don't want to come across as not focused. Should I be concerned that I will come across as 'confused' due to my trajectory/path?

both programs I have acceptances to are terminal MS programs in clinical and counseling psychology.....my idea would be to matriculate as a doctoral student rather than work towards licensure afterwards...both programs are at relatively inexpensive state schools...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

May I ask what your stats are? I would def go the MS route. make yourself known, contact profs about their research. See if they take on students to work with them.

Hi,

I have 2 years research experience both paid and unpaid between 2 labs as an undergrad. Have 2 presentations including my undergrad honors thesis. Have a couple of years of clinical-related experience working in substance abuse treatment. Graduated from a UC summa cum laude w/ psych degree. GRE was 162V and 152Q (which I can retake if I reapply but seemed sufficient to get me several interviews...)

Members don't see this ad :)
What scares you? I think that you will likely fare well if you are conscientious enough to be researching and figuring things out this early in the game...

So I have applied to various PhD and MA/MS programs. I have been wait listed and subsequently rejected from the PhD programs with the exception of a FSPS which I know is a bad option.

I am thinking of attending a MS counseling program and then applying to a school psychology program (PhD) afterwards. My concerns are as follows....

1. In the MS program I worry if i will be able to get enough research experience...though I have decent enough credentials to get interviews I would like to have some more experience and perhaps even a pub or two....

2. I don't want to come across as not focused. Should I be concerned that I will come across as 'confused' due to my trajectory/path?

both programs I have acceptances to are terminal MS programs in clinical and counseling psychology.....my idea would be to matriculate as a doctoral student rather than work towards licensure afterwards...both programs are at relatively inexpensive state schools...

Thanks!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you are interested in school psych, why not do a master's in school psych? Then you have a leg up in that field and great options for employment should you decide not to go on for the PhD.

I suppose I could. I am interested in both school and counseling.

I would recommend first deciding what field you really want to pursue. If you are interested in both school and counseling, have you considered the field of school counseling? If you are interested in this area on a doctoral level, I would look into Counselor Education programs...which are slightly different from Counseling Psychology programs. That said, if you definitely want to have the school component - the field of school counseling is also distinct from the field of school psychology. What do you want to do at the end of your studies? As the person suggested above, if you definitely want to pursue PhD school psych programs, being admitted into a master's school psych program is your best bet.

Why would you do that? If you want to get into a school psych doctoral program, complete a masters/EDS in school psychology. Ideally, do so at a university that has a doctoral program in school psych and with faculty who are a research match with you. Work your butt off, volunteer & become involved in research, do well in classes, etc. and transfer into the doctoral program. My program had a few EDS students transfer directly into the doctoral program through the years.