School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hhmmrh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I really look at the school ratings as part of my decision? What are they really telling us? Also does it mean the higher the ranking, the pickier the schools are? 2 of my schools on my short list are in the top 10 (Kansas and Gainesville). One that I thought was super hard to get into (University of Texas, Austin) is #21

Members don't see this ad.

An audiology degree from an accredited school is an audiology degree. It most cases, they only way going to a top school may help you may be getting a really top notch externship, but I know a lot of people at #30 ranked schools can also get great externships. Really, look for a school that has what you want, if you want some pediatrics, make sure the school has plenty of it, some schools offer more vestib. and balance then other schools (some have machines, some don't) some
Are more clinical some more research. Definitely research the school and talk to the admissions people, if possible a student, to see what they think!

Reactions: 1 users
Two big components of the ranking score include "notable" faculty members and the amount of research dollars (grant money) that the department has. Like cerumenlady said, a degree is a degree. You can pay attention to rank, but if you choose to do so, I would recommend having it be a very small factor in your decision-making process.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both replies are really helpful for me to read. It's been hard, as I feel like prestige is touted so highly in our field. I am very particular, in that I want to work in pediatrics and possibly cochlear implants.

My issue is that I was accepted to my top two schools, both top 10: Iowa and KU. However, I was offered a great GA, very likely to be renewed a second year, making Missouri State nearly free, at most around 12,000 vs. the 80,000 of both KU and Iowa. MSU is also ranked one of the worst in the country. It's not an awful program, it does have fewer faculty, and you have to drive long distances for off-campus placements. But I keep coming down to the money; and there's no guarantee that going to a "worse" school is going to ruin my career, even if I desire to be a leader in the field in research and pediatrics. But there is a guarantee that that debt will follow me until I'm 50 (it would be around 130,000, including undergrad loans from my husband and I, and his current online MBA program). It's tough to get the prestige out of my head, but in the end, I keep hearing it's not worth it.

Follow the money. You can get a good or bad education at any school, regardless of ranking.

Follow the money. You can get a good or bad education at any school, regardless of ranking.
I keep hearing the same thing, over and over. It's helping me to solidify my answer. I can't get that bad of an education, the program is accredited after all. I'm touring the program next week, but I'm likely to "follow the money"! I do KNOW that the education isn't as good at MSU than at Iowa, I've talked to third years in both programs. But 80,000 worse? I'm not thinking so.

Go with the program that most fits your desires in a program. An AuD is still just an AuD whether you pay to go to vandy or you go to Middle East Central Texas State (completely made up school by the way just to prove a point) and in the end you get the same degree. It all depends on how well you can network. Look at some of the schools the leaders in AAA went to. Many are not the top schools.

I've never given rankings much credit in any field. I went with what program fit my needs and the cost/benefit analysis of what I would get for return on my investment.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh and network! I have met tons of people over the years from all over this country who are audiologists. Just talk to people. I went to tons of workshops and conferences when I was a student (I still do) and meet tons of fascinating people. You can go to any school and still network with people and people will know you.

Both replies are really helpful for me to read. It's been hard, as I feel like prestige is touted so highly in our field. I am very particular, in that I want to work in pediatrics and possibly cochlear implants.

My issue is that I was accepted to my top two schools, both top 10: Iowa and KU. However, I was offered a great GA, very likely to be renewed a second year, making Missouri State nearly free, at most around 12,000 vs. the 80,000 of both KU and Iowa. MSU is also ranked one of the worst in the country. It's not an awful program, it does have fewer faculty, and you have to drive long distances for off-campus placements. But I keep coming down to the money; and there's no guarantee that going to a "worse" school is going to ruin my career, even if I desire to be a leader in the field in research and pediatrics. But there is a guarantee that that debt will follow me until I'm 50 (it would be around 130,000, including undergrad loans from my husband and I, and his current online MBA program). It's tough to get the prestige out of my head, but in the end, I keep hearing it's not worth it.

If it makes you feel better, I know a fourth year at MSU who was just accepted into some of the most prestigious PhD programs for our field in the country (Northwestern, KU, and Iowa). Your program is what you make of it. Work hard, seek out strong clinical placements, and find research opportunities (she did research and her fourth year at WashU) and you can do very well and not be in debt.

From a personal standpoint - I did my PhD first in a very strong program (Harvard-MIT SHBT), was accepted to every AuD program I applied to (all the big names), but ultimately went with the program that combined the opportunities I wanted (teaching and research on top of clinical training) and the most funding. It isn't a top ten school (UMass Amherst) but it was the best fit for me.

If it makes you feel better, I know a fourth year at MSU who was just accepted into some of the most prestigious PhD programs for our field in the country (Northwestern, KU, and Iowa). Your program is what you make of it. Work hard, seek out strong clinical placements, and find research opportunities (she did research and her fourth year at WashU) and you can do very well and not be in debt.

From a personal standpoint - I did my PhD first in a very strong program (Harvard-MIT SHBT), was accepted to every AuD program I applied to (all the big names), but ultimately went with the program that combined the opportunities I wanted (teaching and research on top of clinical training) and the most funding. It isn't a top ten school (UMass Amherst) but it was the best fit for me.

That does make me feel better, personally. I love to hear personal experiences to see what it's REALLY like. I've already got a great leg up at MSU, I've been awarded a GA, going to be working on a grant related to loss-to-follow up and newborn hearing screenings. I also just found out I got awarded a Graduate College Fellowship, with a little extra funding. I'm giving it another couple of weeks, just to see if funding options come up at Iowa (those who received offers could choose to go to a different program, and I believe I'm next on the list. Or almost next), but I feel at peace with going to MSU. Plus, better weather and cost of living!! I'm honestly just excited to start any program at this point, ready to get started! Thanks for your insight :)

Having been an audiologist for many years, I can tell you that no one really cares where you went once you get the degree. It's really all about YOU rather than the school you attended, I've also hired many audiologists over the years. Again...could care less where they went to school. It's about their quality - which is often created internally and not externally. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Having been an audiologist for many years, I can tell you that no one really cares where you went once you get the degree. It's really all about YOU rather than the school you attended, I've also hired many audiologists over the years. Again...could care less where they went to school. It's about their quality - which is often created internally and not externally. Hope this helps.

This person read my mind exactly!

Thanks EarDoc - I often agree with your comments as well ;>)

Thank you EarDoc and RexdB! You've helped me, certainly. I have accepted my offer at MSU, the cheaper option. It's what I make of it, and I'm excited to get started :)

Aranel323 - that's great, congrats!!! Definitely, school is what you make of it. As long as you take it all in, I'm sure you'll get where you want to get as an audiologist. And with the cheaper option, with not as much debt :>)) Good luck!