School Suggestions (any chance at MSTP)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shh-pthway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like useful feedback on where to realistically apply. I would prefer to go to school in urban setting, but it's not a must.

First time applicant:

• Class of '14 at top 15 Undergrad
  • AMCAS verified yesterday: 3.5 cum/ 3.4 sci (for sci GPA, ~3.1 freshman and sophomore, ~3.45 junior, and ~3.9 senior year... each year with around same amount of hours). Took bunch graduate-level and upper-level in concentrated course-of-study.
  • 34 MCAT (9 ps, 11 verbal, 14 bio)

Research:

• Spending two years out of undergrad in lab well known in its field at prestigious research center. Working on exciting project that will be written up next year (second author).
  • Spent three years in lab in undergrad (10-12 hours per week), including one summer. Honors thesis, few posters... publication somewhere down road when project is finished up by former lab.
  • Summer 2013--> 10 weeks in Cambridge, UK. paper in prep as 3rd author (4 authors total). My contribution to manuscript is discussed in LOE. Presented poster on my contribution to project back in states at undergrad (2nd place) and at a science/diversity conference.
Other:

• University-level leadership scholarship for positions as LGBT Leader (focused a lot on LGBT healthcare access/ HIV awareness in courses/ positions). ~175+ hours per academic year with these leadership positions.
  • ~70 hours of shadowing/ ~60 hours volunteering (some of it abroad)

Members don't see this ad.

I would like useful feedback on where to realistically apply. I would prefer to go to school in urban setting, but it's not a must.

First time applicant:

• Class of '14 at top 15 Undergrad
  • AMCAS verified yesterday: 3.5 cum/ 3.4 sci (for sci GPA, ~3.1 freshman and sophomore, ~3.45 junior, and ~3.9 senior year... each year with around same amount of hours). Took bunch graduate-level and upper-level in concentrated course-of-study.
  • 34 MCAT (9 ps, 11 verbal, 14 bio)

Research:

• Spending two years out of undergrad in lab well known in its field at prestigious research center. Working on exciting project that will be written up next year (second author).
  • Spent three years in lab in undergrad (10-12 hours per week), including one summer. Honors thesis, few posters... publication somewhere down road when project is finished up by former lab.
  • Summer 2013--> 10 weeks in Cambridge, UK. paper in prep as 3rd author (4 authors total). My contribution to manuscript is discussed in LOE. Presented poster on my contribution to project back in states at undergrad (2nd place) and at a science/diversity conference.
Other:

• University-level leadership scholarship for positions as LGBT Leader (focused a lot on LGBT healthcare access/ HIV awareness in courses/ positions). ~175+ hours per academic year with these leadership positions.
  • ~70 hours of shadowing/ ~60 hours volunteering (some of it abroad)

I'm not qualified to comment on the main question, but I would urge caution on not letting that MCAT expire and checking on AAMCs document on when each school plans to stop accepting the old MCAT. I'm not sure when you took it or when you plan to apply. Just keep that in mind.

I'm not qualified to comment on the main question, but I would urge caution on not letting that MCAT expire and checking on AAMCs document on when each school plans to stop accepting the old MCAT. I'm not sure when you took it or when you plan to apply. Just keep that in mind.
Took last summer. Should be fine for almost every program I have looked into

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA and MCAT are both borderline with good research experience. I think you have best chances at lower tier MSTPs (US News ranks 30s-40s) and strong non-MSTP MD/PhD programs.

@Neuronix , does OP's borderline stats have more weight than the 5+ years s/he spent doing research? I would think that mid- and high-tier MSTP schools would take OP just based on that dedication of time to research.

I have known applicants with similar stats who have been accepted in high-tier MSTP schools. However, as all of you know, the process begins with chart review. High-tier programs get at least 200-300 applicants with similar or better academic stats. The essays, the research experiences and other less quantifiable intangibles distilled by the reviewer(s) of the application is what leads to the potential interviews. From there on, the passion and understanding of research shown in the interview is probably a much bigger driver for a potential acceptance.

I think the weighting of GPA, MCAT, research experience, and other factors depends on the program.

Fencer is right. Yes, it happens that people with not the highest stats get accepted at top-tier programs. Still, top tier programs often get a ton of applications and often filter out lower stats. It's program dependent. You still have to do well in medical school and score high on step scores and boards later. Does a 3.5/34 make you less likely to do those things than someone with a 3.9/38? Who knows. The data for that is weak, but the belief depends on who you ask. What about someone with a 3.1/30? That person is not likely to get into a fully-funded MD/PhD program no matter how much experience they have. Why is that different? It's all arbitrary.

That is why I said "best chances" are lower-tier. Apply broadly and see what you get.

I currently have a very diverse list of ~20 schools (wide range of rankings and location). Hopefully my essays/ experiences resonate with the readers. Thank you for all the thoughtful feedback. :)