School Websites:What am I looking for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MistahMark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been checking these forums for a while, but first time actually posting. My question is this. I'm an undergrad student who is planning on getting a degree, either MPH or a PhD (if the program accepts undergrads). I'm checking out these schools SPH websites, and they are really overwhelming, the amount of info. What is important to pick out from the information overload? I look at things like admissions requirements and assistantship offerings. Other than that I'm not entirely sure what to look for.

While I do not have a concentration in mind, for some reason I lean towards epidemiology. Maybe it is just because the name sounds cool, who knows? But I've had a lengthy internship over the summer as a research assistant for a Public Health study based out of a non-profit community research organization. Particularly, the study focuses on injection drug users, HIV prevention and risk-reduction. The work I do is highly qualitative, though we do dabble in quant. and I do enjoy it. I love the work I do at this place and am hoping to find a school and concentration that will help me do this professionally.

That being said, what would you say are important sections on school websites?

Members don't see this ad.

Mark,

Those websites can be extremely overwhelming. If you need help with searching (this is a plug), please feel free to search programs on my website, MPH Guide. I have found that school websites forget that we are looking for a summary of important information and it becomes overwhelming. Hopefully that helps.

Personally, you should look for a few different items. First, make sure the program offers what you are looking for. If you are interested in Epi, the school should offer a specialization. Or, if you are looking to go to school in a specific state, then look at that state. Second, look to rankings. US News provides rankings for MPH programs. Although I believe they matter less and less, it is a good way to figure out which programs are considered the best. Next, look at deadlines. This way you will know when everything is due and what tests you must take. Finally, if you have further needs such as wanting internship experiences or specific coursework, look into the actual curriculum. Are you wanting to know information about anything else?

Hopefully this helps!

1. Professors and their publications and research interests on topics that match your own interests

2. Course syllabi with detailed descriptions of class sessions, topics covered, laboratories and practical aspects, etc. for match with your own desired skill goals.

3. Specific funding or fellowship opportunities tied with organizations or companies that you would one day like to work for. These might be a little more hidden but many are posted on pages that don't require a login.

4. PM me if you're interested in coming to hopkins and want more info.