Schools for applicants with low GPAs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IowaGirl19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a new account since my numbers are super identifiable.

I've been waiting to post on this site for a long, long time. I hope it inspires someone who is feeling that medical school is out of reach.

Age 30s
cGPA 2.1 (amcas)
sGPA 2.7 (amcas)
Dropped out and took a ten year break
Last 40 hours = 3.8 (included in aforementioned GPAs)
MCAT = 28
Worked full time in public service in leadership position

What I did right:
I grew up and busted my butt getting the best grades I could despite work conflicts (only sub A grades were when work made me miss labs).
Also, I ignored advisors and SDN members who told me I would never be a doctor and to pick a different dream.

What I did wrong:
Didn't quit work and go to school full time. Also didn't allot enough time to study for the MCAT with 50+ hours of work a week and 3 science classes that semester, so it wasn't where it could have been.

Results:
Accepted at every school that didn't auto screen me for GPA.

Moral:
NEVER. NEVER give up on your dreams.

Thank you for this, it was something I needed today! I too started at very similar GPAs from slacking during my undergrad years. I started back at school last semester taking my pre-reqs part time (2 sciences) in addition to working 40 hours per week. This semester has been challenging already with dedicating all free time to studying. I've been contemplating taking school on full time but am not sure that I want to place all financial responsibility on my husband yet. It's inspirational to hear your story and reminded me to stay focused on what I want and ignore the haters. Thank you for sharing and congrats on all your accomplishments!

Members don't see this ad.

I made a new account since my numbers are super identifiable.

I've been waiting to post on this site for a long, long time. I hope it inspires someone who is feeling that medical school is out of reach.

Age 30s
cGPA 2.1 (amcas)
sGPA 2.7 (amcas)
Dropped out and took a ten year break
Last 40 hours = 3.8 (included in aforementioned GPAs)
MCAT = 28
Worked full time in public service in leadership position

What I did right:
I grew up and busted my butt getting the best grades I could despite work conflicts (only sub A grades were when work made me miss labs).
Also, I ignored advisors and SDN members who told me I would never be a doctor and to pick a different dream.

What I did wrong:
Didn't quit work and go to school full time. Also didn't allot enough time to study for the MCAT with 50+ hours of work a week and 3 science classes that semester, so it wasn't where it could have been.

Results:
Accepted at every school that didn't auto screen me for GPA.

Moral:
NEVER. NEVER give up on your dreams.
If you wouldn't mind could you tell me what schools you applied to and got accepted to I'm in a similar position as you and your story was very inspiring. I know when choosing schools it's hard to determine which schools will screen you dependent on GPA so knowing which schools you applied to and got accepted to would help. I'd love to know thank you very much

So motivating. I am also applying to medical school and was doubted by many. I took a few years off to gain experience and study for the mcat. Now this is my year to apply. I am confident in my acceptance and your story truly I inspired me. I have a friend with a situation similar to yours. He was told that he should take another route because schools would not consider him. Needless to say, he is now a practicing physician who has been my mentor for the last 4 years....Life is all about the story You create. Never give up on your dreams future doctors!!!