Schools I should add / delete from my list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tombradyschin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior planning on applying in June.

My stats are: 3.55 GPA (huge upward trend). Microbiology major.
DAT: AA: 20, TS:21, PAT: 19, RC: 21
~100 hours of shadowing a dentist.
Some volunteer work but nothing significant.
Have worked in a biochemical research lab studying tuberculosis for over a year, with 9 credits and a full summer under my belt.

Here is my list:

UConn
BU
Tufts
NYU
Maryland
New England
Michigan
Lake Erie
Buffalo
Temple
Pitt

Let me know what you think about my chances and if you would add or subtract any from my list. I'm starting to worry because of all the horror stories about people with 3.9 GPAs and 22 DAT who don't get accepted so someone please calm me down!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

I think you have a very strong application. Don't beat yourself up about the high scores posted on the forum - those people account for a small fraction of applicants.

As a recommendation, you should try to get more volunteer hours under your belt (doesn't have to be dental related). Dental schools just like to see that you are a well-rounded individual. Do you have any work experience?

You killed the DAT and you have a higher than average GPA for most schools. You should land a few interviews without a problem. Apply early, nail the interviews and you should get some acceptances next cycle. The people with 3.9 GPAs and 22 DAT scores probably got interviews, did not interview well, or had other red flags on their application which kept them from receiving interviews in the first place.

The list you have looks pretty good to me. Not sure how out-of-state friendly UConn is... Your best bet would be to research those schools and check the ADEA guide on where you should apply.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Look up in the adea guide to see where students from your state are typically getting accepted. Then you'll have a good idea of schools that you can apply to. As always, don't be afraid to apply for further or newer schools either. Your GPA is good, as long as the science portion is competitive. Your DAT score should be fine too. Really work on the portion of your résumé outside of academics.

What's your state of residency?

Hi all, thanks for the advice! Those 100 hours of shadowing are both shadowing and volunteer work. I did both with the same dentist over a month in the summer! I go to school in Amherst Massachusetts, so Uconn offers some type of New England residency program?

Look up in the adea guide to see where students from your state are typically getting accepted. Then you'll have a good idea of schools that you can apply to. As always, don't be afraid to apply for further or newer schools either. Your GPA is good, as long as the science portion is competitive. Your DAT score should be fine too. Really work on the portion of your résumé outside of academics.

Hi Jeff, my science GPA is 3.74 and may be higher if they count psychology classes (I'm not sure if they do, but I have 6 additional "A" credits if so), so i think that it is pretty competitive.

Hi Tom,

I think you have a very strong application. Don't beat yourself up about the high scores posted on the forum - those people account for a small fraction of applicants.

As a recommendation, you should try to get more volunteer hours under your belt (doesn't have to be dental related). Dental schools just like to see that you are a well-rounded individual. Do you have any work experience?

You killed the DAT and you have a higher than average GPA for most schools. You should land a few interviews without a problem. Apply early, nail the interviews and you should get some acceptances next cycle. The people with 3.9 GPAs and 22 DAT scores probably got interviews, did not interview well, or had other red flags on their application which kept them from receiving interviews in the first place.

The list you have looks pretty good to me. Not sure how out-of-state friendly UConn is... Your best bet would be to research those schools and check the ADEA guide on where you should apply.

Hope this helps!

Hi, thank you for the advice and calming me down! I am from MA so Uconn does some kind of New England residency I guess. Before working in a research lab, I was a relocation worker, in which I gained experience serving all types of people around the east coast for multiple summers and I actually became a crew leader (was in charge on jobs, handled billing and dealt with working with the customers who had complained about incompetent workers or damaged goods). Do you think I should include that in my application / Personal statement?

uconn gives a discount on tuition i believe on NE residents. Not sure the exact details though. I'd be happy with your list, maybe throw Temple in there and a sprinkle of Case.

You could definitely squeeze in more volunteer hours. I did around 65 and started in May. I just found some local food bank

Hi Jeff, my science GPA is 3.74 and may be higher if they count psychology classes (I'm not sure if they do, but I have 6 additional "A" credits if so), so i think that it is pretty competitive.

They look more heavily at your science gpa, so a 3.75 is awesome! When you fill out your aadsas application they distinguish what they count as science gpa. For last year, if I remember right, that didn't include psychology.

I would add UDM and Roseman

P.S. Try do more shadowing, 100 hours might sounds good but I would do more before June and add it to the application

Does anyone think I could apply to University of Florida or UNC? Or would that be just a waste of time due to low OOS admissions?

Does anyone think I could apply to University of Florida or UNC? Or would that be just a waste of time due to low OOS admissions?

They do not favor OOS. You can apply, but you'll most likely be turned down. I'm an Alabama resident and am not bothering wasting my time applying to Florida and my parents are even residents (I'm an Alabama resident myself).

I am a senior planning on applying in June.

My stats are: 3.55 GPA (huge upward trend). Microbiology major.
DAT: AA: 20, TS:21, PAT: 19, RC: 21
~100 hours of shadowing a dentist.
Some volunteer work but nothing significant.
Have worked in a biochemical research lab studying tuberculosis for over a year, with 9 credits and a full summer under my belt.

Here is my list:

UConn
BU
Tufts
NYU
Maryland
New England
Michigan
Lake Erie
Buffalo
Temple
Pitt

Let me know what you think about my chances and if you would add or subtract any from my list. I'm starting to worry because of all the horror stories about people with 3.9 GPAs and 22 DAT who don't get accepted so someone please calm me down!
I got into Pitt with near identical stats. Can't speak for the other schools, but you definitely have a shot there.