schools known for primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vm26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
will attending a school (Stony brook) known for primary care limit my ability to match in a specialty residency? Their match list is made up of mostly primary care spots and I would hate to limit my options at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

You will probably hear a huge variety of responses to this one, but I'll give you feedback since I came from a heavy primary care-weighted school. I think it DOES make a difference, and I'll tell you why. Our program makes outstanding primary care docs, because the curriculum is designed to do that. Our exposure to the specialties was slim, and none in some. And they made it difficult for you to get the exposure you wanted. HOWEVER, with that said, I will say that in the past 3-5 years, our grads have done well finding specialty spots, and this year we already matched urology and ENT for 100% of our applicants. So I think the opportunities are there, and your school will NOT hinder your ability to get a spot. But it might make it a bit more difficult. For example: if you come out of Yale Med, you likely have had exposure to what you want, and you've most likely been given some great research project in your lap for you, and you might have written a thesis. These are extremely difficult to get involved with at my school.
So to sum it up. I think you can still easily do what you want with hard work. I do think it's a bit easier at a school that is not so primary care-weighted. Stony Brook grads do go on to specialties. You just might have to shine a bit more as a student.

Stoney Brook has a decent reputation and I don't think it is just known for primary care. A very close friend of mine in Radiology residency was from Stony Brook.

I'm a 4th year med student at Stony Brook. I know that Stony Brook likes to pride itself on being a primary care school , but trust me it won't hurt your chances at residency. The graduates from SB get some very competitive residencies at great places.

We have done great this year in the early match. Everyone applying for an early match has matched so far and this includes 1 ENT, 4 Optho, 1 urology, and 5 neurology. These people are going to places like Mount Sinai, New York Eye and Ear, U of Chicago, U of Pittsburgh, NYU, Duke, etc.

Also, alot of people in my class do go into internal medicine and pediatrics, but i believe most of them plan to do fellowships. I think there might be one person going into FP.