Schools that are in state applicants only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impulse155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a list of the schools that are restricted only for students who are in that state?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ECU (East Carolina University), new next year, and will probably be instate only for a while.

Here is my more in-depth analysis using the ADEA's book if you are wondering about the Out of State question.

Notice the PA schools actually are in-state (I live in PA). However, you see PA schools take about 50/50 from IS and OOS. I also didn't do stats for Meharry, Howard, or Loma Linda because they have other preferences based on race and religion. I also didn't calculate for Univ. of Puerto Rico because they fill 95% of their class from Puerto Rico itself.

Of note:

1) OOS UNFRIENDLY, based on the data and discussions on this forum:

Univ. of Texas at Houston (take 100% from in state), :mad:
Medical University of South Carolina (90% from in state),
University of Washington (89%),
University of Texas at San Antonio (99% from in state),
Texas A&M Baylor College of Dentistry (90% in state),
UNC Chapel Hill (85% in state),
Stony Brook (93% in state - also insane stats!),
University of Mississippi (100% from in state), :mad:
Louisiana State (88% from in state),
University of Illinois (91% from in state)
Southern Illinois University (98% from in state)
Medical College of Georgia (100% from in state) :mad:
UF Univ. of Florida: (89% from in state)
UCSF and UCLA: 80% and 86% from in state, respectively

If you are applying to these schools from in state, you will probably get an interview with decent stats. If applying from out of state definetely look into their average stats more carefully to see if it warrants the money. Of course reach schools like Stony Brook and UCLA (downright great schools!) should be included on your app if you really want to go there! This is all relative...if a school takes 15% from out of state and you think you're fit for that upper echelon of students, go for it. You're just going against the grain.

2) Some schools are generous to OOS applicants despite being OOS unfriendly or neutral in selection policy:
Midwestern (AZ): Interviews nearly 23% of OOS applicants
Louisiana State: Although OOS unfriendly, only ~80 people applied and 20 got an interview (not bad!)
Indiana University: ~20% of OOS applicants get an interview (1500+ OOS applicants)
Arizona State DOH: They receive 3000+ OOS applicants, but interview about 12% of them. That is actually not bad if you have good stats.

3) Some states receive lots of OOS applicants and only interview a small percentage:

UCLA: Out of 783, only 28 (4%) got interviews. Look at your stats!
University of the Pacific: Out of 1900+ applicants, only 70 got interviews (4%)
USC: Out of 2037, only 40 got interviews. A whopping 2%. This is probably not your type of candidate pool unless you're in the upper realm of dental applicants. This is by far the worst school to test your chances OOS, in my opinion.
Illinois Schools: SIU had 295 OOS applicants, interviewed ONE (1/3 of a percent) - he or she got an acceptance though! Maybe they were related to the dean... UI interviewed nearly 1500 and took only about 50 (4%). These are clearly OOS unfriendly.
Maryland only _accepted_ 60/2618, which means they interviewed a few more than that (no data). Still a competitive school!
West Virgina/UW: Again, only 4% OOS students interviewed.
Nova Southeastern: Out of 2960 OOS applicants, only 50+ enrolled (less than 2%). There are no data for interviews given. I've heard it's super competitive. The location/novelty might make it worth the application...I also see on this forum they're damn near impossible to get a hold of.

Glean other info as you see fit. Based on simple percentages! Again, all relative. You may be super competitive!

4)*University of Tennessee: They interview about 20% of their OOS applicants (about 400 total)...BUT, for them OOS means from Arkansas or the southern region. Does anyone have compelling reason to disagree? I have heard this school is OOS friendly. I can't agree. Their stats are skewed due to regional, not state per se, preference. Pay attention to other schools like this with REGIONAL preferences. Sometimes the neighboring states' applicants get a first look. The ADEA book will tell you the class breakdown. (This is just one example - needed to bring this statistical caveat to your attentions)

**The newly opening East Carolina University seems to fall under this category. That or will only be taking in-state candidates**

5) So, you're OOS and you've received an interview: Does that still make you likely to get into that school even if you're from out of state??
Some acceptance rates based on OOS applicants:

UCLA: Gave interviews to 28 OOS people, 24 got in. You've pretty much made it! Make a good impression in the interview! This is lots of people's dream school...until you have to pay the bill!

USC: Of the 41 interviewed, 41 were accepted. What I didn't tell you is they had 2000+ applicants. So, their class is ~2% OOS. Risky but worth a try...

University of the Pacific
: 70/70 (100%) of OOS people interviewed were given acceptances - so, basically an interview here is an acceptance unless you really screw up. It is worth testing the waters to get into UoP in my opinion...and it's 3 year program as well.

Boston U: Out of 4500 OOS applicants, 372 (8%) are given interviews. Of those 372, 212 were accepted (57%) though! Clearly an interview here is worth your time!

Virginia Commonwealth: Out of 2268 OOS applicants, only 140 (6%) are given interviews. BUT, of those 140, 106 were granted acceptances (75%!!). An interview at VCU is another sure bet for the outstanding dental student who wishes to go there, IMO.

Tufts: 372/4352 (8%) get interviews, but of those 372 given interviews, 297% (80%!) were given acceptance. Tufts also lacks any regional bias IMO. You stand a good chance if given an interview.

ETC ETC: read the rest of the table to see similar stats on this!

6) Schools that are just crappy to OOS students even if you get an interview there:

UNC: OF the 75 interviewed, only 12 accepted. Your chance of an interview and subsequent acceptance there are low, if OOS.

Stony Brook: Only 3/57 OOS interviewed were accepted. That is just terrible in my opinion. What is the point of even interviewing OOS people if you are going to reject the majority??

U Texas At San Antonio: Despite being 99% in state, 11 people still got interviews here from OOS. Only 1 got accepted. Makes you wonder if they're related to anyone on staff. In any case, don't waste your money applying to a school with a bias. Duh.

UCSF: 35/756 applicants (OOS) were accepted here, that's less than 5%. No data on interviews given. So, only ~5% of their class is OOS. Think you can make it? Re-think. (Maybe they are like UCLA and gave almost all their interviewed people acceptances...maybe)

7)Quick look at an in-state school and the benefits of applying in state if you have a dental school in your state:

Temple gave out 113 interviews to those in state, 102 were given acceptances. But, they still had 4,400 applications, which is a lot.

Discuss...someone tell me if the 2010 data continue on these trends, if I am downright wrong, or if you have any personal affiliation with the schools that confirms/questions this analysis. Corrects or corroborations are welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
file should be attached now...

Attachments

• Application data.xlsx
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,052
Reactions: 2 users
Alabama is also similar to Tennessee in that pretty much all of their OOS crowd is from one state(Georgia in their case)

Enjoy that. School's websites will lie and say "We are out of state friendly". But the numbers never lie.

This is definitely good stuff! Good job dantemac

I enjoy that 411 people applied out of state to UofT at Houston....and 0 were given interviews. That is 411 people who were either conned by the school or stupidly wasted their money.

I enjoy that 411 people applied out of state to UofT at Houston....and 0 were given interviews. That is 411 people who were either conned by the school or stupidly wasted their money.

UTDB and other schools that have low acceptance of OOS applicants do not need to con anyone, even if that were possible; some applicants, however, appear to believe that they will be the exception.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're welcome. I will take doc's data and update the spreadsheet ASAP.

The Temple in-state bit is misleading. Only 350 or so in-state applicants, so around 1/3 get interviewed / accepted. The 4000 number includes OOS

Yeah, so let's say you have a 33% chance of getting an interview, step 1. Step 2 is getting an acceptance, let's say that's like an 85% chance.

.33 * . 85 = 28% chance at getting into Temple.

That is better than USC or something, where there are a similar number of apps and you have only a 2% chance of getting in as an OOS student.

The numbers don't lie

Bump this topic...I've been getting lots of inbox messages about this thread.

To all those applying June 1st, make step 1 to ensure you don't overlook one factor that is out of your control: your place of residence.

Your earned GPA, DAT, and EC's wont mean crap if you're applying to a school that narrows the success rate for even the best OOS students!

Tufts: 372/4352 (8%) get interviews, but of those 372 given interviews, 297% (80%!) were given acceptance. Tufts also lacks any regional bias IMO. You stand a good chance if given an interview.

Great file man!! Thanks a lot!! One thing i noticed in the file is that for some of the schools you listed; the out of state accepted (eg. Tufts 297/372 80% ) was actually much more than the number of seats the schools offer for both in & out of state. For example Tufts has 175 (2009) seats to offer and you said they accepted 297 out-state same for Boston and many others. this got me a little lost and I was wondering if there is something I am not getting :(. Did they increase the class size since 2009 or something. Please let me know as I am trying to apply to more schools using ur list. thanks

Last edited:
Well, remember that of those 297 people they gave acceptances too, some probably turned them down/took an acceptance elsewhere. A school has to give out acceptances until the class is filled.

Well, remember that of those 297 people they gave acceptances too, some probably turned them down/took an acceptance elsewhere. A school has to give out acceptances until the class is filled.

now it's clear:thumbup:

hey dantemac,

I am looking at your data about Michigan: OOS Interview 152/1806 (8.4%), accepted 152 OOS --> 100% you will get accepted if you get an interview at MICH? Is it true?

No...for that year (2010 entering class), there were ultimately 152 OOS students accepted. They did not report how many OOS they interviewed. Maybe the 2011 ADEA book has a better figure for you.

That means they had to interview AT LEAST 152 people.

So, from start to finish (152 OOS accepted / ~1800 OOS applicants), your % chance of scoring a seat there (given workable stats) is about 9%. In my completely unprofessional opinion this makes Michigan a rather OOS friendly school!

Last edited:
No...for that year (2010 entering class), there were ultimately 152 OOS students accepted. They did not report how many OOS they interviewed. Maybe the 2011 ADEA book has a better figure for you.

That means they had to interview AT LEAST 152 people.

So, from start to finish (152 OOS accepted / ~1800 OOS applicants), your % chance of scoring a seat there (given workable stats) is about 9%. In my completely unprofessional opinion this makes Michigan a rather OOS friendly school!

152 OOS accepted? That's not right.

I have 2011 ADEA and it says 165 were interviewed, 43 enrolled out of 1782 OOS.

It is correct...a lot of those people accepted did not take the offer of admission and went somewhere else.

*Accepted* and *Enrolled* are two different things.

It is correct...a lot of those people accepted did not take the offer of admission and went somewhere else.

*Accepted* and *Enrolled* are two different things.

Where are you getting your source from again? Howcome the 2011 ADEA doesn't have this information (i.e. accepted vs enrolled)?

152 OOS accepted? That's not right.

I have 2011 ADEA and it says 165 were interviewed, 43 enrolled out of 1782 OOS.

Then if you combine these data. MICH interviews ~170 OOS, accept ~100 and ~40 enrolled. Its not a bad number after all if you get an interview from them.

Last edited:
Then if you combine these data. MICH interviews ~170 OOS, accepted ~100 and ~40 enrolled. Its not a bad number after all if you get an interview from them.

Yeah.
Did you apply there?

Does anyone know if they filled up their interview spots?

Yeah.
Did you apply there?

Does anyone know if they filled up their interview spots?

Yes, I got an interview in early Oct. I don't know if they fill up all of their interview spots yet. There are about ~40 people in my interview batch. I think i am in the 2nd or 3rd batch.

There is someone in the other thread said that he got an interview in Nov --> I guess they fill up most of their interview spots for pre-dec but we never know.

Exactly. The numbers were about the same from year to year, so I used the data from two cycles ago. Michigan is a school you have a fairly good chance of getting into.

Let's BUMP this topic for the 2012 application cycle.

The new dental school this year, UNE, has a Maine/New Englander preference. I don't have the 2011 data on the LECOM applicant pool.