Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Schools that don't look down on low GPA

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jnprunner12, 08.03.09.

1. jnprunner12

jnprunner12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am trying to decide where to apply. Here is my application:

-3.36 cumulative GPA with BS in Biochemistry (3.4 and above since winter quarter my sophomore year)
    -taking MCAT on August 25th (had a medical emergency that forced me to push my test date back)
    -shadowing in 5 specialties (pulmonology, otolaryngology, cardiology, othropedics, and family practice)
    -2 summers of full-time biomedical research
    -2 years of undergraduate biochemistry research
    -4 year cross country and track runner
    -honors program member
    -sigma xi member
    -Writing Center Employee (2 years)
    -officer in Pre-Med Club

As far as the MCAT is concerned, I will probably score around a 30. I took a Kaplan course last summer and have been retaking the course this summer because I was not ready to take the MCAT last fall.

Where should I apply? I am from Washington State and shadowed a doctor on the UW admission's committee, so that is a given. Are there any other schools that you would suggest?

2. chman

chman

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I think that all in all you are pretty well rounded. Biochem is not exactly an easy major, especial at UW, where I assume you go (I'm from WA as well). However, I would not count on UW as it just got ranked the #1 primary med school. But being from WA will help. Good Luck.
  3. DaTruMD

DaTruMD

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Any publications?
  4. jnprunner12

jnprunner12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wrote 2 posters, one based on my summer research, and another based on my undergraduate biochemistry research. Unfortunately, the projects I worked on are still in the investigation stages.
  5. DaTruMD

DaTruMD

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hmmm that GPA could use some improvement. You definitely need to do well on the MCAT (35-ish?).
  6. Stratego

Stratego

SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you can get an MCAT of 34-35+, some MD schools will overlook your low cGPA. If you get a score of 30, you might consider applying to DO schools for a better chance at becoming a physician. I'd suggest spending another year getting straight As to bump your GPA up as high as possible before you apply.

Your ECs look fine.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal