About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Schools that don't look down on low GPA

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jnprunner12, Aug 3, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. jnprunner12

jnprunner12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am trying to decide where to apply. Here is my application:

-3.36 cumulative GPA with BS in Biochemistry (3.4 and above since winter quarter my sophomore year)
    -taking MCAT on August 25th (had a medical emergency that forced me to push my test date back)
    -shadowing in 5 specialties (pulmonology, otolaryngology, cardiology, othropedics, and family practice)
    -2 summers of full-time biomedical research
    -2 years of undergraduate biochemistry research
    -4 year cross country and track runner
    -honors program member
    -sigma xi member
    -Writing Center Employee (2 years)
    -officer in Pre-Med Club

As far as the MCAT is concerned, I will probably score around a 30. I took a Kaplan course last summer and have been retaking the course this summer because I was not ready to take the MCAT last fall.

Where should I apply? I am from Washington State and shadowed a doctor on the UW admission's committee, so that is a given. Are there any other schools that you would suggest?

2. chman

chman

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I think that all in all you are pretty well rounded. Biochem is not exactly an easy major, especial at UW, where I assume you go (I'm from WA as well). However, I would not count on UW as it just got ranked the #1 primary med school. But being from WA will help. Good Luck.
  3. DaTruMD

DaTruMD

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Any publications?
  4. jnprunner12

jnprunner12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wrote 2 posters, one based on my summer research, and another based on my undergraduate biochemistry research. Unfortunately, the projects I worked on are still in the investigation stages.
  5. DaTruMD

DaTruMD

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hmmm that GPA could use some improvement. You definitely need to do well on the MCAT (35-ish?).
  6. Stratego

Stratego

SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you can get an MCAT of 34-35+, some MD schools will overlook your low cGPA. If you get a score of 30, you might consider applying to DO schools for a better chance at becoming a physician. I'd suggest spending another year getting straight As to bump your GPA up as high as possible before you apply.

Your ECs look fine.