Schools that give Rejection Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's about that time where I'm starting to get anxious about my chances of receiving an acceptance this cycle. My details are in my MDApps profile, but in short I've applied to 31 schools, received 4 interview invites (1 deferral, 2 waitlists, 1 pending), received 9 rejections, received 2 holds and silence from 16 schools, although I'm almost certain I've been silently rejected at a handful of these schools that I just don't officially know of yet.

I know there are some schools that explicitly state in their rejection letters that they won't be able to provide feedback regarding individual applications. But most schools don't say anything like this in their rejection letter. Does anyone have any experience with contacting schools at which they've been rejected and receiving helpful feedback regarding their application shortcomings and/or why they were rejected? I would like to begin gathering some feedback in the event I'll have to reapply. I thought it would be nice to make a list so that others could utilize this as well.

Thanks so much for any help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Creighton talks with applicants about their application

Reactions: 1 user
The best strategy is to call every school that rejected you/waitlisted you that doesnt say we dont offer feedback. I'd imagine its possible a school that was invested enough in you to give you a II might perhaps be a little bit more forthcoming with legitimate feedback on what went wrong but that's a generalization.

Honestly while there might be some schools perhaps more likely to give legitimate feedback, alot of it is just very individualized and on a case by case basis. If the reasons for a rejection are things that are difficult to say over the phone(ie you came across as a complete clown in the interview) you are alot less likely to get the feedback you need than if it is something simpler( ie you need clinical experience or you should retake the MCAT).

Also it will vary alot by also a) How exactly you phrase the question and how you come across and what specifically you say b) the individual person who happens to answer the phone for that school and what kind of state of mind/mood they are in at that time. I've certainly heard of examples from people I know who will call a school in Feb post rejection and get nothing useful from them then call back at a later time say April and suddenly that school will start delivering all kinds of useful insight(Ive even heard of cases where its the same person on the phone who was so tightlipped earlier now spilling it all out 2 months later). There's just so much variation in something like this that even if somebody on here says something like "I called UC Irvine and they gave me super helpful feedback and literally read the notes they had on my app about me to me" that doesnt necessairly mean if you call UC Irvine post rejection hypothetically you are going to get nearly as helpful feedback and vice versa.

Reactions: 1 user