Schools that offer better rotations or help with residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Clearly, once you're in the field, you know more than those who have yet to commit to a school. I was just wondering if you guys could share, from your own experiences or what you've heard from other students, which schools have rotations that actually help you excel and learn? Which schools better prepare you for residencies?

I've just heard so much negative about certain schools I just wanted to come here and ask those who are already students.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My school never mentioned residencies until the second semester of my P3 year and I just graduated. Still got the job I wanted but I feel bad for those who wanted a residency-required job and were too late in the game to do anything about it.

I don't know if there's really any easy way to know this, but I would look for a well-established school and one that is fully accredited. It should be affiliated with a major medical center (so it will likely have a medical school as well).

After that I would go to the college of pharmacy's academic office and ask for their statistics regarding residencies (if not already on the website). If they just give you a blank stare, then you know you are in trouble, ha ha. ASHP in my school was where we got most of our residency programming from, so I would ask if the school has an ASHP chapter there. You could also ask if the school offers any support for students to go to Midyear; if they do then that's also a good sign.

Finally I would ask to see a current rotation list. Now bear in mind that it will probably be different by the time you're a P4, but you at least want to see what they are offering right now. You want to see a lot of diverse hospital rotations at said major medical center and possibly some offerings at other hospitals as well. Hope this helps you!

Disclaimer: this post was written for students wishing to pursue hospital (not community) residency.