Schools that offer medical scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colliea21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the schools that offer scholarships, merit-based, etc. I read a list once but forgot where. Let's make a new list! :D

Members don't see this ad.

UNMC, number 1 on US News for offering some sort of financial incentive to 100% of the class. :D

If you're interested in the elite schools with merit aid:

Penn
WashU
Duke
Michigan
U Chicago
Vanderbilt
Emory
Case Western/Cleveland Clinic
Mayo

Members don't see this ad :)
Add Columbia to that list, and Stanford (just started this year offering merit aid).

And didn't Duke just cancel their scholarships, except for minorities?

It's hard enough getting into a med school, let alone a top med school, so getting merit aid from them means you're the top of the class.

Anyone know state schools giving merit aid? I'm sure I'm not good enough to qualify for that either, but I'm still curious.

Add Columbia to that list, and Stanford (just started this year offering merit aid).

wow, columbia gives merit aid?!? i dont remember that on the tour.

Pitt also has some nice scholarship programs.

wow, columbia gives merit aid?!? i dont remember that on the tour.

Many schools don't tell you about it. But a friend of mine is a student there and told me that there are people with full and partial scholarships. I believe there are some on mdapps as well.

Their full rides are strictly for minorities, but they have three half-tuition Haas scholarships.

Wish I'd have known earlier about the other two...

Their full rides are strictly for minorities, but they have three half-tuition Haas scholarships.

Wish I'd have known earlier about the other two...

Stanford just started offering half-tuition merit scholarships, which they decided to start in mid-November. I interviewed early november, and they didn't tell us at all about them at the interview. So it seems like an out of nowhere kind of thing.

For Columbia I think the scholarships are extremely rare, which is why nobody talks about them.

is case considered "elite"?

not trying to be facetious, just wondering.

It's hard enough getting into a med school, let alone a top med school, so getting merit aid from them means you're the top of the class.

Anyone know state schools giving merit aid? I'm sure I'm not good enough to qualify for that either, but I'm still curious.
Some Texas state schools do. But if you're not a Texas resident I assume you're SOL for those. :( Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's kind of a meaningless list though. It's not like the merit scholarships are given out like candy, so I wouldn't see that influencing one's decision on where to apply. Rather, a merit scholarship is icing on the cake of an acceptance.

It's kind of a meaningless list though. It's not like the merit scholarships are given out like candy, so I wouldn't see that influencing one's decision on where to apply. Rather, a merit scholarship is icing on the cake of an acceptance.

agreed, with the exception of probably the 200 top-most applicants in a cycle, who are probably aware of their standing relative to other applicants. they should apply to all the schools on the list.

but need-based aid is something all applicants can get a feel for ahead of time, and make informed application decisions about.

ive heard of someone with a full ride to nyu a few years back...

wouldn't a better list be any schools that DON'T offer these? I mean - don't all schools?

got one from ohio state

i heard ohio state responds well to leverage - ny friend went there from cali after getting into a UC he really did not want to attend for personal reasons, but he wrote OSU, said that he really wanted to be there but that it was hard to make that happen financially, given that he got into a in-state school

he got 8,000 a year for that letter, and is currently loving life as a buckeye

I heard Stewart University offers great scholarships. :D

i heard ohio state responds well to leverage - ny friend went there from cali after getting into a UC he really did not want to attend for personal reasons, but he wrote OSU, said that he really wanted to be there but that it was hard to make that happen financially, given that he got into a in-state school

he got 8,000 a year for that letter, and is currently loving life as a buckeye

Hey, i don't think your picture link is working..... Yes, I am that bored. :)

UMiami offers partial scholarships
UNC-Chapelhill offers full rides to select few
Cornell offers some scholarships (a friend told me this)

UMiami offers partial scholarships
UNC-Chapelhill offers full rides to select few
Cornell offers some scholarships (a friend told me this)

Don't know about the other two, but Cornell offers nothing merit-based according to their financial aid office.

Don't know about the other two, but Cornell offers nothing merit-based according to their financial aid office.

A friend told me they offered scholarships but that's way out of the league for where I plan on applying so I wouldn't know much about it.

I know UNC-Chapelhill does because a guy who used to post on here is there on full scholarship.

I also know Umiami does because I've known many people who've gotten the 50% scholarship and another person who had been offered 100k scholarship but turned it down for somewhere better with an even better offer then that.

ok, but merit based scholarships is an ambiguous term...what type of applicant deserves such precious thing? a 40 on MCAT? 3.98 GPA? :D

ok, but merit based scholarships is an ambiguous term...what type of applicant deserves such precious thing? a 40 on MCAT? 3.98 GPA? :D

High stats and then some (i.e. the examples you gave above). i.e. research publications, other good extracurriculars that make you stand out, high honors such as being a Rhodes or Goldwater Scholar or being part of any of the other similar programs like that that are highly selective. those are the types of things that earn people scholarships.

is case considered "elite"?

not trying to be facetious, just wondering.

I don't know their current ranking but about one or two years ago, they were tied with 2 other schools for the number 19 or 20 position on the rankings list. So they were/are? definitely a top 20 school.

I think they were tied with Emory and Uchicago pritzker but don't recall the specifics.

Case has two programs. The main program through Case which has your typical med school class size of well over a hundred students. then they have the CCLCM program which is about 32 students or so and has a slightly different curricula which integrates scholarly research into it. A friend of mine is currently in the program and was telling me that the CCLCM program has more one on one interaction, doesn't do actual dissections but has prosections for the gross anat part (they can opt to dissect a cadaver as part of an elective in 2nd year-yea weird I know), and just overall has a different approach to how they do things. so if you anyone applies there, look at both programs carefully.
I believe CCLCMer could probably answer better on what their curricula is like.