Schools that offer the year long O-Chem lab sequence over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspeedwagon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knew of schools (preferably in NY or NoCal (or possibly MA or NJ), but anywhere in the country could work) that offer the year long o-chem lab sequence over the summer that would preferably end prior to med school orientations (which I understand is mostly in early August).

I'm sort of in a strange situation. I had originally planned (and still may) to quit my job and start classes in mid-Jan to complete my last three remaining pre-reqs (G-Chem 2 lab and the O-chem labs). When I made this plan, I assumed I'd have an acceptance in hand or be close to one, but unfortunately that is not the case. I actually have yet to get a single interview invite from a MD or DO school.

Currently the big pharma company has made me a high salary offer for next year (well above a 100k). They've told me I can continue to work in NY or they are willing to re-locate me to CA if I would prefer. Thus, I'm not sure about walking away from my job that I like, but don't love with nothing else solid in hand. While medical school remains my top priority, I am thinking that I could re-locate to CA and take G-Chem II lab on Mondays while I continue to work and then complete the o-chem lab sequence somewhere over the summer prior to med school. Technically I took O-Chem I lab pass/fail in college and might be able to get away not taking it for some of the schools that allow 1 semester of o-chem + 1 semester of bio-chem.

So two questions:
- What schools over the year o-chem lab sequence over the summer without needing to take the associated course?
- What would do in my shoes? Any words of wisdom?

It's OK if you only want to tackle the first question. I realize the second one is more of a personal choice.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CUNYs have summer orgo classes. You can check each school's website for details.

Last edited:
University of Mary in Bismarck, ND offers the year long course in 8 weeks from mid-May to mid-July. I did it last summer. The instructor is hard core but teaches well. Cost is $4000. Lecture is 8-1030 am, Lab 10:30-1. Unfortunately my grade was not as good because I had to go from school to my dietitian job from 2-6 then to my personal training business from 6-9 then be a mom for an hour. I opened my books for homework at 11 pm and by 12 am was shot. The other kids (trad students, less than half my age) lived at home and spent the rest of their day studying. No stress and thus all got A's. The prof, a Sister, expessed her disappointment in my so called "lack of effort". Thankfully at my age I didnt hesitate to tell her to just pass me and never mind my grade as she had no idea how busy my life was with a professional career, owning a business and having young children, since this private university is 100% trad students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern has a 9 week orgo sequence that covers 30 weeks of classes.

Brutal. A lot of people prestudy for this so they can crush the curve. Most people don't work during this sequence and just study 24/7.

Last edited:
I believe you can take just the labs at UC Berkeley summer school.

Thanks all! Just to clarify, I'm ideally looking for a school that will allow me to take the o-chem labs without the course since I've already taken o-chem lecture. Many schools seem to allow lecture+lab in the summer, but I contacted a few and they said that I won't allow me to take the labs alone.

check southern polytechnic state university in Ga. As far as I know their schedule for any science course work listed separately as lecture and lab. I assume you would be able to do any of them with no problem. I hope this helps.
Good Luck

Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio has done the entire O-chem sequence in the summer for the last couple of years. The lecture and lab were different classes, so I assume you would be able to take the lab only there.

Thanks all! Just to clarify, I'm ideally looking for a school that will allow me to take the o-chem labs without the course since I've already taken o-chem lecture. Many schools seem to allow lecture+lab in the summer, but I contacted a few and they said that I won't allow me to take the labs alone.

Deleted

Last edited: