Schools to apply to without a degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is about a 1/100 chance of being accepted without a degree, however, I have everything needed for my application so I figured I may as well give it a shot. I'm looking for advice on which schools I should apply to that give the least amount of preference for a bachelors degree. I am a New Mexico resident so my only option is out of state unfortunately. Seeing as this is the case, it will be about 300-400k tuition no matter where I go so the cost is not of importance. Any help is appreciated! (stats 3.9 sGPA and 3.9 oGPA, taking the DAT in august)

Members don't see this ad.

I know there is about a 1/100 chance of being accepted without a degree, however, I have everything needed for my application so I figured I may as well give it a shot. I'm looking for advice on which schools I should apply to that give the least amount of preference for a bachelors degree. I am a New Mexico resident so my only option is out of state unfortunately. Seeing as this is the case, it will be about 300-400k tuition no matter where I go so the cost is not of importance. Any help is appreciated! (stats 3.9 sGPA and 3.9 oGPA, taking the DAT in august)

Lucky for you I did this very thing last application cycle. I got interviews at 5 schools and accepted to 4 schools. Those 4 schools are UNLV, Roseman, Midwestern-AZ, and Marquette. I didnt add UW because they didnt accept me and they are not OOS friendly with 10% OOS. Be sure to have those on your list. Also if you don't mind the military route the Navy HPSP doesn't require a bachelors and I got that too. My friend who also applied interviewed at Roseman and UNLV and got accepted to UNLV.

I know Iowa is open to non-degree applicants and each class usually has between 1-3 people based on the previous class profiles.

However, if you are planning to apply this cycle I would consider moving the DAT forward to June or July. You don't need to be in the first batch by any means, but not having a degree will be seen as a disadvantage - so an early submission will do you lots of favors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there will be lots of regular applicants with 3.9 GPA and probably better ECs. Plus august is pretty late for you. So the question is why would dental schools choose you over other applicants?
That being said, if you have the money and some pretty unique ECs' and wanna give it a shot, kill the DAT.

UNC will let you apply without a degree.

Last edited:
Wow nice, do you mind telling me your stats and when you applied?
Lucky for you I did this very thing last application cycle. I got interviews at 5 schools and accepted to 4 schools. Those 4 schools are UNLV, Roseman, Midwestern-AZ, and Marquette. I didnt add UW because they didnt accept me and they are not OOS friendly with 10% OOS. Be sure to have those on your list. Also if you don't mind the military route the Navy HPSP doesn't require a bachelors and I got that too. My friend who also applied interviewed at Roseman and UNLV and got accepted to UNLV.

Wow nice, do you mind telling me your stats and when you applied?
My GPA was like 3.6 science 3.7 overall with 19s on everything on the DAT except 20s on Ochem pat and 18 on gen chem. I had a butt ton of ec's 3 great letters 1 crappy one and a killer PS. I was honestly surprised to get 5 pre December interviews. I also had 110 credits when I applied half of which were community college. I took the DAT July 8th but I had everything else submitted and send with the first batch in late June.

With 3.9s and WICHE, you don't even need to take the DAT. Wouldn't that be a treat? Just don't come in below averaged and you'll be fine. Maybe 5 or 6 WICHEs and a couple others for good measure and you'll get in. That's my promise to you.

I will be applying as a WICHE student but I didn't know it was looked highly upon, I've been told they just put you right below the in state students. Did you use WICHE or what makes you so sure of getting into Dental school because of it?
With 3.9s and WICHE, you don't even need to take the DAT. Wouldn't that be a treat? Just don't come in below averaged and you'll be fine. Maybe 5 or 6 WICHEs and a couple others for good measure and you'll get in. That's my promise to you.

Thanks a lot for sharing, definitely gives me a little bit of hope. Did you apply using WICHE? And if you did, do you think it helped you at all? Did they mention it in your interviews?
My GPA was like 3.6 science 3.7 overall with 19s on everything on the DAT except 20s on Ochem pat and 18 on gen chem. I had a butt ton of ec's 3 great letters 1 crappy one and a killer PS. I was honestly surprised to get 5 pre December interviews. I also had 110 credits when I applied half of which were community college. I took the DAT July 8th but I had everything else submitted and send with the first batch in late June.

Thanks a lot for sharing, definitely gives me a little bit of hope. Did you apply using WICHE? And if you did, do you think it helped you at all? Did they mention it in your interviews?
nope I was a Washington resident (hence why I applied and interviewed at UW). I do know being WICHE is pretty sweet. Be sure to apply to the Texas schools. They always reserve spots for WICHE.

nope I was a Washington resident (hence why I applied and interviewed at UW). I do know being WICHE is pretty sweet. Be sure to apply to the Texas schools. They always reserve spots for WICHE.
Thanks a lot for your help

Reactions: 1 user
Hey SM555, I also applied last cycle without the intention of completing my BS. I was really worried about it being a big deal so I only applied to 3 schools (Nova, LECOM and Western U), but it worked out that I got all three pre-dec interviews and all 3 dec 2nd acceptances. I only had 75 credits when applying (I now have 108) but it wasn't a problem at all. The only school that asked about it was Western and they were fine with it. I would suggest moving the DAT to an earlier date however. If you have the stats and are confident in your application, go for it! Good Luck! :)

Hey SM555, I also applied last cycle without the intention of completing my BS. I was really worried about it being a big deal so I only applied to 3 schools (Nova, LECOM and Western U), but it worked out that I got all three pre-dec interviews and all 3 dec 2nd acceptances. I only had 75 credits when applying (I now have 108) but it wasn't a problem at all. The only school that asked about it was Western and they were fine with it. I would suggest moving the DAT to an earlier date however. If you have the stats and are confident in your application, go for it! Good Luck! :)
Thanks for the advice! I will be moving it to the end of July, which leaves me two months to study for it while taking an online anatomy course. When did you apply and do you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks for the advice! I will be moving it to the end of July, which leaves me two months to study for it while taking an online anatomy course. When did you apply and do you mind sharing your stats?

I took the DAT early may and sent my application in on June 20th. I made second batch and started hearing about interviews mid-july!

Reactions: 1 user
I will be applying as a WICHE student but I didn't know it was looked highly upon, I've been told they just put you right below the in state students. Did you use WICHE or what makes you so sure of getting into Dental school because of it?

This all assuming a decent DAT performance. The acceptance part is up to your interview skills. WICHE just helps get interviews at WICHE schools. The WICHE process can't be terribly different in NM (vs AZ). I would look right now but I'm on my phone. You might have more paperwork and different agreements with NM IF you get funded. But you are basically just proclaiming you're a NM/WICHE resident and that's it. It will help tremendously with your application in getting interviews at these schools. Still respect school competitiveness (e.g., an 18 isn't going to fly at UoP), but you do have greater preference than OOS. OHSU, CO, MWU are pretty certain interviews. Okay, nothing's ever certain, but I'd wager good money on those. Depending on app, you might squeeze an interview out of ASDOH. It's no secret that degrees are favorable. But I don't suspect a shutout due to that. MWU AZ (WICHE) and IL (not WICHE) don't require a degree. Pricey though. The main admissions guy at MWU AZ went to dental school without a bachelors. That's his response when people like yourself inquire about it.