Schools Who Love URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxogriff820

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering what schools like minority applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

All generally do... But the historically black schools are your best bet - Howard, Morehouse, Meharry

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an asinine question. Also, don't cross post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Of the "higher ranked" schools, U Pittsburgh and Northwestern are starting to put increased emphasis on recruiting URM talent as they try to "move up" in the rankings, according to faculty and current students.

Of the "higher ranked" schools, U Pittsburgh and Northwestern are starting to put increased emphasis on recruiting URM talent as they try to "move up" in the rankings, according to faculty and current students.
Med school admissions seem pretty sweet.

Also a few schools (North Dakota for example) have programs for Native American students

Almost all schools have some URM recruitment office/outreach if that's what you mean.

This is asinine question. Also, don't cross post.
Excuse me, but certain schools actually don't welcome minorities as much as others so this is a perfectly legitimate question. I understand that URM are welcomed to a certain extent in every school, but that was not my question. In the future, your condescending tone is unnecessary and unwelcomed in any thread. This is supposed to be a supportive environment, best of luck to you in your medical school endeavors.

Reactions: 9 users
Excuse me, but certain schools actually don't welcome minorities as much as others so this is a perfectly legitimate question. I understand that URM are welcomed to a certain extent in every school, but that was not my question. In the future, your condescending tone is unnecessary and unwelcomed in any thread. This is supposed to be a supportive environment, best of luck to you in your medical school endeavors.
Which schools are these?

Do you mean that some schools don't have as low of standards for URM applicants as others? Or are you saying that some schools are unwelcoming to URM?

Reactions: 1 users
The msar posts stats about URMs you can find the above and below average schools pretty quick that way

Members don't see this ad :)
Name some that "aren't as welcoming"...admissions across the country give urm preferential treatment

Top 20's regularly throw full scholarships at URM's with 32+ MCAT scores

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to talk about something that is unwelcome, it's another bloody URM thread. The topic has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. Before you level an accusation of "you're just avoiding annoying topics" at me, let me say that there have been no new developments as far as this subject is concerned for as far back as I can remember. If new information becomes available which generates legitimate and original concerns, then we can all have a talk and contribute. Instead, people get a hair brained idea one morning and open a new thread, clearly having not spent enough time looking for resources that already exist to both find their answer for themselves and learn how obnoxiously done this topic is. One who actually took the time to look would know that such threads only serve to deteriorate the "supportive environment" you mention. Aside from that, the attitude of "ask and it will be given unto you" is useless for really learning anything about a topic such as this. People need to take the time to pour through what's already here to not only find the answer to their question but to learn a lot more along the way. This negates the need to further beat this poor topic to death and serves to inform people more broadly about the subject. This is just lazy and unproductive and, yes, asinine.

Going to ignore the path this thread is heading it (like all threads on this topic -_- ), but just wanted to add that Dartmouth also has a high URM acceptance rate.

If you have numbers to match, they all do.

An All White school would be boring and sad, not every URM has a 3.0 GPA and a 22MCAT, infact many people with low scores that are also URM do not get into Medical school because there are plenty of URM with great stats that get in, but the are people who get in with low scores, who have had a major issue in life that placed them at a great disadvantage and they deserved a chance to succeed.
So....
If you are not an URM and you did not made the cut with a 36+ MCAT and a 4.0 don't blame the URM for your lack of success instead work on your interpersonal skills, because there is probably where your weakness lays.

That said, school in states with a low URM population have less URM students simply because many qualified URM dont chose these schools !!!

Reactions: 6 users
If you want to talk about something that is unwelcome, it's another bloody URM thread. The topic has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. Before you level an accusation of "you're just avoiding annoying topics" at me, let me say that there have been no new developments as far as this subject is concerned for as far back as I can remember. If new information becomes available which generates legitimate and original concerns, then we can all have a talk and contribute. Instead, people get a hair brained idea one morning and open a new thread, clearly having not spent enough time looking for resources that already exist to both find their answer for themselves and learn how obnoxiously done this topic is. One who actually took the time to look would know that such threads only serve to deteriorate the "supportive environment" you mention. Aside from that, the attitude of "ask and it will be given unto you" is useless for really learning anything about a topic such as this. People need to take the time to pour through what's already here to not only find the answer to their question but to learn a lot more along the way. This negates the need to further beat this poor topic to death and serves to inform people more broadly about the subject. This is just lazy and unproductive and, yes, asinine.

Is there a SDN requirement that obligates one to open each and every thread and post unnecessary comments? Based on the title of my thread there was a clear indication that it concerned URM, and yet you proceeded to open it, read the thread, and post a comment. I know that you may have to research the SDN regulations before responding, so I will give you a second.

Dude your question has been answered - look up a school on MSAR, go to matriculant demographics, and look how many of Your Race (or all URMs) got in out of total number matriculated. Compare to other schools. Boom done.

Everybody needs to chill

Think of the population of the patients. Often, that tends to be more bi-coastal than middle America, and more inner cities than rural but there can also be ranges too. Some state schools also have a very heavy population of certain populations; NM is one. I seem to recall, they really want their students to speak Spanish. Think of this process of selecting schools as a sociology lesson combined with statistics. Data from the MSAR really helps for the statistics aspect, but so does an understanding of the schools's mission.

Think of the population of the patients. Often, that tends to be more bi-coastal than middle America, and more inner cities than rural but there can also be ranges too. Some state schools also have a very heavy population of certain populations; NM is one. I seem to recall, they really want their students to speak Spanish. Think of this process of selecting schools as a sociology lesson combined with statistics. Data from the MSAR really helps for the statistics aspect, but so does an understanding of the schools's mission.
Don't apply to UNM (in a nm resident) if you're OOS then you HAVE to to apply there EDP and I doubt many people would want to do that.

If you have numbers to match, they all do.
This. Just because you're a URM doesn't mean med schools give you a free pass on lower marks.

If you are a competitive applicant, it will give you a leg up. Otherwise, don't expect you'll get much leeway just for ticking a box..

This. Just because you're a URM doesn't mean med schools give you a free pass on lower marks.

If you are a competitive applicant, it will give you a leg up. Otherwise, don't expect you'll get much leeway just for ticking a box..
My odds of acceptance (given my stats) as an ORM were 30% lower than they would have been if I were URM, that's a lot of leeway

Indiana University is a good choice for URM applicants. You don't have to submit a secondary until after you receive an II and if you have decent numbers and you're a URM, you will receive an II. Just apply early.

My odds of acceptance (given my stats) as an ORM were 30% lower than they would have been if I were URM, that's a lot of leeway

Yeah anytime I hear someone downplay the importance of URM status I just show them this:

https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/2013factstable19.pdf

Mean matriculant MCAT for Asians: 32.7 (~91st percentile)
Mean matriculant MCAT for African-American: 27.0 (~61st percentile)

I mean damn, if I was Asian I would be so upset by that kind of systematic inequality.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh no not this debate again

There's also a significantly high chance that you wouldn't have the same stats if you were URM.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
That only holds true if he's from a good socioeconomic background. He could be a poor Asian, then he's getting screwed because of that race-money proxy logic.

That only holds true if he's from a good socioeconomic background. He could be a poor Asian, then he's getting screwed because of that race-money proxy logic.

Isn't that why the "disadvantaged" status is an option on the AMCAS?...

Reactions: 6 users

Yes, because SES is the only factor that affects your potential in doing well in school and tests...:rolleyes:

You should have just asked which schools don't love URMs. It'd be a shorter list. In fact, here it is:

You're welcome.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh no not this debate again
tumblr_n0moiiuf6C1qaa8d1o2_500.gif

It's the only way to be sure.

@Aerus, after saying being URM means likely lower stats, but then lower SES doesn't mean lower stats, are you suggesting there is something about a race other than their tendency to be lower SES that would impair their ability to get good stats? Is the MCAT racist or...?

You rolled your eyes when I said that race is used as a proxy for SES in admissions in undergrad/grad schools in America

What is it that makes a race score lower other than SES? Racism only affects certain minorities?

You guys are confusing racism and racial prejudice. A minority group cannot be racist if they don't have power. This is a more intricate issue than you guys are making it out to be. Anyhow, this thread is going down the ****ter.

All schools like diversity and thus like URMs.

Reactions: 5 users
You rolled your eyes when I said that race is used as a proxy for SES in admissions in undergrad/grad schools in America

What is it that makes a race score lower other than SES? Racism only affects certain minorities?

It's not lower; it's different. Both SES and race have effects. But when it comes to academics, racism negatively affects the academic potential of certain minorities and not others.

Anyways, this issue has been discussed ad nauseum and this thread shouldn't be strayed anymore.

You guys are confusing racism and racial prejudice. A minority group cannot be racist if they don't have power. This is a more intricate issue than you guys are making it out to be. Anyhow, this thread is going down the ****ter.

All schools like diversity and thus like URMs.

I agree 100%.

I just think its nonsense to take two minority groups, say Asian and African-American, and then treat them differently in admissions, especially if they have similar SES backgrounds.

I just think its nonsense to take two minority groups, say Asian and African-American, and then treat them differently in admissions, especially if they have similar SES backgrounds.

As an Asian, believe me when I say that I've thought a lot about this issue as it affects me as well. It is not nonsense though and there is a good reason. However, this issue is way too complex and multi-faceted to properly explain without completely derailing the thread. Let's just try to avoid going in that direction.

Just because two students have similar SES backgrounds does not mean they will be subject to the same challenges that society throws at them. But, this thread isn't really about that, is it? This thread is about what schools like/love URMs. All schools do...so I'm not sure why this thread is still going!?

This URM debate could go on forever. Life isn't fair. Admissions isn't fair either. I think it's nonsense that a student should be treated differently if their dad donates a few buildings to a medical school, but heck, I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Two applicants identical in every way, including overcoming SES disadvantages and never having the privileges of being white and/or men, are still treated differently based on race. That's nonsense.

Two applicants identical in every way, including overcoming SES disadvantages and never having the privileges of being white and/or men, are still treated differently based on race. That's nonsense.

That would never happen. They would not be identical. Don't you realize that being of a different race will already give you a different set of experiences? You know what's nonsense? The american justice system :) 2 identical people from similar SES, but just different races, can be treated so differently by law enforcement. Also, I don't remember where I saw this, but most applicants come from higher SES not lower. So the sample size is already small, just like the URM sample size.

Anyhow, looks liked this turned into a URMs are taking my spot thread, so this is my last post.

I hope everyone has some fun Saturday night plans.

Peace

Reactions: 4 users