Schools worth applying to with a 27-29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntoTheWest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those you with MCAT scores below 30 which schools have you had a fair amount of success at.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I like this thread and will be interested to follow it. The only problem I could foresee is that sometimes the application cycle is crazy. For example, I had a friend with a 29 get an interview at UT-Southwestern. If you aren't familiar, you should know that landing an interview there with a 29 doesn't happen often.

Common sense tells me that it would be worth applying to schools with a solid 30 average. Must be plenty of sub-30 students there.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on your GPA. Assuming it's average, applying to schools with 30-31 average would be your best bet.

Chicago schools and newly accredited medical schools do give some love to people with sub par mcat scores.

I've been getting 27 and 28s on my practices so far, so I'm gonna pay attention to this thread lol XD I'll know in a month from tomorrow though!

Chicago schools and newly accredited medical schools do give some love to people with sub par mcat scores.

I'm just curious, how do you know this?

the carribean?

howard, meharry

would it be way out of the question to take a year off/wait a year, study like a beast, and retake for a 30+? I feel that while your GPA is fairly solid by the 3rd year, the MCAT can jump with a few extra months worth of studying...........

it all depends on the rest of your app... but, off the top of my head, Drexel, EVMS, GW (though they get a million applicants), Howard, Morhouse, St. Louise, Toledo, Tulane, Louisville..... much depends on your state of residence as well since some are hard to get into as OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I second the Fl. school idea. At least FAU, FIU, UCF, USF, FSU and Umiami. Not sure about UF.

Yea UF is closer to a 33 avg., so quite the difference. Miami is the same really (3.6/32 if OOS). If you're a resident of FL you're in luck with the other schools, but otherwise it'll be hard even with a few new ones. Schools like Loyola, Rush, Albany, Drexel, and Rosalind come to mind as good ones for an MCAT just below 30. A few state schools that have a heavy preference or absolute requirement for state residency have low averages such as LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc.

it all depends on the rest of your app... but, off the top of my head, Drexel, EVMS, GW (though they get a million applicants), Howard, Morhouse, St. Louise, Toledo, Tulane, Louisville..... much depends on your state of residence as well since some are hard to get into as OOS.

Your school list is kid of off: Tulane's average MCAT is a 32, and St. Louis is close to a 33

OP, here is a list of recent MCAT for several provate schools

Creighton 30 (class of 2013) http://medschool.creighton.edu/filea...C_Viewbook.pdf
Loma Linda 31 http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/faqs.page??
New York Medical College 31 (no year given) http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/School...Questions.html
Rush 31.3 http://www.rushu.rush.edu/servlet/Sa...entBlockDetail
Wake Forest 31.5 http://www.wfubmc.edu/School/Class-Profile.htm
Jefferson 31.6 http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/faq.cfm
Medical College of Wisconsin 31.8 http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/...assProfile.pdf
Georgetown 31.9 http://som.georgetown.edu/about/pros...oninformation/
Albert Einstein 32 http://www.einstein.yu.edu/admission...6_1116_btnlink
Tulane 32 http://tulane.edu/som/dean/upload/De...10-FINAL-2.pdf
USC 32 http://keck.usc.edu/About/Administra...uirements.aspx
Loyola 32.1 http://www.stritch.luc.edu/node/55
Tufts 32.2 http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/...ssprofile.html
Saint Louis University 32.56 (class of 2012) http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions/...e=how-to-apply
Boston University 33 http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/welcome/classprofile/

For those you with MCAT scores below 30 which schools have you had a fair amount of success at.

Your biggest problem is that you scored a 6 on verbal on your most recent MCAT. Many schools cut off at 7 and won't even look at your application.

Those are averages not ranges. The point they make is people with those ranges can get a shot stilla t those schools. I know plenty of people woh interviewed at schools like Drexel, EVMS, GW with 27-29ish MCAT scores. So I'd say you are wrong. Average and range are 2 different things.

UCs in cali have high averages too but doesn't mean people haven't gotten in with late 20s. I even saw one girl on SDN who got in with a 25 at a UC, believe it or not.

The larger point is to look at the overall ranges, and then look at the averages. And for that matter in the MSAR its not even averages, so really you'd be looking at the median after looking at the ranges. If you are close to the median and within range, it is a school to consider, esp. if these schools take out of staters or if they are your state schools.
:thumbup: exactly my point

i have so many friends with 27"s that have succeeded with Chicago schools and new schools like FIU, fAU, Virginia tech carillon, and so on.

Really? Great! Thanks for the info. Were they excellent students GPA wise?

on the other hand, i also knew people with 3.9's and 4.0's that didnt even get an interview invite in those places. so to tell how random the app cycle is. you never know:scared:

Those are averages not ranges. The point they make is people with those ranges can get a shot stilla t those schools. I know plenty of people woh interviewed at schools like Drexel, EVMS, GW with 27-29ish MCAT scores. So I'd say you are wrong. Average and range are 2 different things.

UCs in cali have high averages too but doesn't mean people haven't gotten in with late 20s. I even saw one girl on SDN who got in with a 25 at a UC, believe it or not.

The larger point is to look at the overall ranges, and then look at the averages. And for that matter in the MSAR its not even averages, so really you'd be looking at the median after looking at the ranges. If you are close to the median and within range, it is a school to consider, esp. if these schools take out of staters or if they are your state schools.

I apologize if I didn't make my initial post clearer, but I think you missed my point: someone with a 27-29 has a better chance at a school with an average MCAT of 30 than a school with 32.5. The MSAR provides 10-90 percentiles, which can help the OP chance themselves. Yeah, I'm sure there are people who got into UC's with a 25, and I agree that I posted averages, not ranges. However, most people do not have the time or money to apply to all med schools and must create a short list. If the OP has a 27, it might be better to apply to Creighton than to BU.

It is also helpful to look at the AAMC score distirbution: while there isn't a big difference between a 36 and a 37, there is a large difference between a 32 and a 33. The relatively high distirbution of scores in the 30-33 is why most med school have fairly tight 10-90 percentiles

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/157904/data/combined10.pdf

Last edited:
don't forget UVM! the median is 31, 10th percentile is 26, and many OOSers are accepted.

UVM is worth a shot, but they also tend to take people that have some really interesting/unique experiences.

Not sure where you're located, but states schools are usually your friend. (yes i say usually because some states....CA....can bring the suck)

edit** just took a look at where you're from....sorry

UVM is worth a shot, but they also tend to take people that have some really interesting/unique experiences.

Not sure where you're located, but states schools are usually your friend. (yes i say usually because some states....CA....can bring the suck)

edit** just took a look at where you're from....sorry

:confused:

aside from the fact that all schools place a premium on having students with a wide variety of experiences coming into medical school, i'd also say that one school's trash is another one's gold. and you never know who's going to think that your experiences are interesting and worth hearing more about.

Although I feel like a 6 VR was on my low end, I am a really bad judge at determining how I do in this section. I am scared if I do take the MCAT again I will get another 6 VR which would look even worse. I considering applying this year to lower end schools just to see what happens and if I am lucky enough to get into any school I will go. And if I don't get into any schools I will have no choice but to retake and hope I can at least get an 8 VR again.

I've also heard that getting a 6 on VR can be "detrimental." I think if you have an average GPA and some good extracurriculars but it's only the MCAT that is getting in your way, it might be best for you to wait a year and prepare some more. You can improve on the VR! I would suggest following the EK verbal method. It really helps!

I will also be following this thread! Thanks for the school suggestions!

Although I feel like a 6 VR was on my low end, I am a really bad judge at determining how I do in this section. I am scared if I do take the MCAT again I will get another 6 VR which would look even worse. I considering applying this year to lower end schools just to see what happens and if I am lucky enough to get into any school I will go. And if I don't get into any schools I will have no choice but to retake and hope I can at least get an 8 VR again.

No one can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. However, there is a thread in the pre-do forum about applicants being accepted with 6's in verbal. The gist of the thread is that some applicants do get into DO schools with a 6 in verbal, however these applicants tend to have other attributes that offsets their verbal score. If getting in with a 6 in verbal is a stretch for DO schools, it's going to be much, much more difficult to get into an allo school

When applicants have two MCAT scores, if the score from the second exam goes down, then I would recommend that the applicant only apply to schools that will consider your highest MCAT score. However, since you scored a 28 on both exams, this really isn't applicable in you situation (and no, I am not aware of any school that will take your highest score in each section)

If you have tons of money, it doesn't hurt to apply, but in the meantime, you need to find ways to improve your verbal: start reading the New Yorker and take a Latin class

Good luck :luck:

No one can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. However, there is a thread in the pre-do forum about applicants being accepted with 6's in verbal. The gist of the thread is that some applicants do get into DO schools with a 6 in verbal, however these applicants tend to have other attributes that offsets their verbal score. If getting in with a 6 in verbal is a stretch for DO schools, it's going to be much, much more difficult to get into an allo school

When applicants have two MCAT scores, if the score from the second exam goes down, then I would recommend that the applicant only apply to schools that will consider your highest MCAT score. However, since you scored a 28 on both exams, this really isn't applicable in you situation (and no, I am not aware of any school that will take your highest score in each section)

If you have tons of money, it doesn't hurt to apply, but in the meantime, you need to find ways to improve your verbal: start reading the New Yorker and take a Latin class

Good luck :luck:

There are a few that take the highest subsections. GW is one.

As a fellow 6VR I can feel your pain. Took it again with EK method and got a 9 after only a month or 2 more of studying. My highest single test score was also a 28, which included the 6. I got accepted to 2 very good DO schools: Western and Nova Southeastern (only 2 I applied to) and 1 MD school: Drexel. I'm also at the very very top of the waitlist at UCF and expect to get a call of acceptance within the next few weeks. Also CA resident. Hope this provides some hope! Good luck.

Your biggest problem is that you scored a 6 on verbal on your most recent MCAT. Many schools cut off at 7 and won't even look at your application.
6 verbal is going to be iffy even for a DO school in my opinion. I agree that the cutoff is a 7 and your application is auto discarded with a 6. Contact Goro..................he is more intuned with all of this especially a 6 on verbal. I think I know what he is going to say! mes415 experience discounts my thinking however!

Thanks candbgirl! I must not have looked at the date! Won't be the first time "I am not with it!" Wonder how OP are doing now?

Last edited:
USC at a 32 median MCAT?? I knew something was up! Currently applying to many of the schools listed in the thread :)

USC at a 32 median MCAT?? I knew something was up! Currently applying to many of the schools listed in the thread :)
Sorry................This is all my fault! lol Will be more cognizant of the dates................It is 2015, correct? Just checking!

Hey everyone. I got my MCAT score back yesterday and got a 504. Was expecting higher so am still pretty disappointed. I read from you guys how important applying early is so I applied last night. Already had my application ready so just had to decide which schools. Have a c3.5 and s3.6 GPA. I'm a student-athlete and have some interesting ECs and what I think to be a unique story. I applied to 60 MD schools because I was so freaked out and want to get accepted this cycle. I'm a Florida resident by the way. What are my chances? :(

Hey everyone. I got my MCAT score back yesterday and got a 504. Was expecting higher so am still pretty disappointed. I read from you guys how important applying early is so I applied last night. Already had my application ready so just had to decide which schools. Have a c3.5 and s3.6 GPA. I'm a student-athlete and have some interesting ECs and what I think to be a unique story. I applied to 60 MD schools because I was so freaked out and want to get accepted this cycle. I'm a Florida resident by the way. What are my chances? :(

Make a post in the WAMC subforum and expand on your details and you'll get plenty of feedback!

anyone have MD school recommendations for a 504 mcat? (28 on old scale)

Sorry to disagree a bit. I don't know about Chicago, but when the med. School at Quinnipiac (Connecticut) was accredited a couple years ago, they put emphasis on top grades and top MCAT scores. It might just depend on the pool of applicants, since we already got Yale (legend) and UConn S.O.M. fishing out the cream of the crop, but again, what do I know.

California :/

As @Goro would say, you are circling the drain in that situation.

But I would definitely advocate applying to VCU, a good portion of the OOS students from my class are from CA

Last edited:
I recommend:

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

EVMS

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Netter

UCI

UCD

UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire.

Any DO school, starting with Western and TUCOM-CA

anyone have MD school recommendations for a 504 mcat? (28 on old scale)

I'll have to adjust my notes accordingly. Thanks for the heads up!

EVMS stated in their primary verification email that if you were not 509+, they strongly suggest retaking your MCAT to remain competitive. It seems a little bit aggressive of them to only even consider 510 plus given that their 90th percentile of applicants was somewhere around that same score according to MSAR, but thats what they said lol

EVMS stated in their primary verification email that if you were not 509+, they strongly suggest retaking your MCAT to remain competitive. It seems a little bit aggressive of them to only even consider 510 plus given that their 90th percentile of applicants was somewhere around that same score according to MSAR, but thats what they said lol

Interesting, does EVMS have any subsection cutoffs?