Science-based medicine: Reality check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Spec,

Competency for parenting is another related aspect to population improvement. What if a band of nonpartisan academic parenting experts (psychologists) got together, put together a set of screening criteria, curricula and examinations that anyone considering being a parent would have to pass in order to have and raise children? There are many low income housing projects where it is a crime how the kids have to live and how much abuse is allowed before child protective services can step in and do something about it. If parenting qualifications were introduced all kids would be ensured a minimum level of parenting fitness. Imagine how much that would raise school aptitude. And it would eliminate many of the welfare babies and moms in government projects because they would be deeded unfit parents. An unfit parent candidate could still study and have another opportunity to pass the test and mandatory temporary birth control could be instituted.

I think this is the only way to break the cycle of poverty through generations.

There are positives and negatives. Economic and oppressive/slippery slope respectively.

I understand the community benefits that would arise here but I also struggle with defending a position that aims to either restrict the sex lives of private citizens or aims to take away progeny of private citizens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Life has always been survival of the fittest. We don't allow people who are incapable of safely driving to have licenses so why should society allow people who can't raise kids to parent? I think the pros far outweigh the cons on this. Additionally it would force people to take child rearing seriously.

For the wealthy individuals it would be a plus too. They could still pass their kids off to nannys but at least they would have a better idea of what their kids' developmental needs are.

Last edited:
Life has always been survival of the fittest. We don't allow people who are incapable of safely driving to have licenses so why should society allow people who can't raise kids to parent? I think the pros far outweigh the cons on this. Additionally it would force people to take child rearing seriously.

For the wealthy individuals it would be a plus too. They could still pass their kids off to nannys but at least they would have a better idea of what their kids' developmental needs are.

How exactly would it be implemented. I agree that there are social and financial benefits, but I don't see a practical way to implement it without severely hurting personal freedoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Parenting ability would be divided into two subsets-general mental health and parenting knowledge. Psychological testing could be done before puberty to identify anyone with severe anti-social traits (sociopathy, etc). Those who would respond to treatment would rejoin the fit pool, those that aren't could be permanently sterilized or be excluded from eligibility for all welfare programs should they have children. The remainder would take online curricula and pass exams. Those that fail would automatically be excluded from welfare support programs unless they agreed to temporary birth control implants.

Imagine the benefit to society if the 10% of the population that are sociopaths could be removed from the gene pool.

Parenting ability would be divided into two subsets-general mental health and parenting knowledge. Psychological testing could be done before puberty to identify anyone with severe anti-social traits (sociopathy, etc). Those who would respond to treatment would rejoin the fit pool, those that aren't could be permanently sterilized or be excluded from eligibility for all welfare programs should they have children. The remainder would take online curricula and pass exams. Those that fail would automatically be excluded from welfare support programs unless they agreed to temporary birth control implants.

Imagine the benefit to society if the 10% of the population that are sociopaths could be eliminated.

It has potential. I tend to like the incentive sterilizations (opt in). I see no ethical dilemma there. Its harder to swallow withholding benefits. What about religious issues? No welfare for Catholics?

And selective breeding is the subject of many movies and stories surrounding failed utopias.

It has potential. I tend to like the incentive sterilizations (opt in). I see no ethical dilemma there. Its harder to swallow withholding benefits. What about religious issues? No welfare for Catholics?

And selective breeding is the subject of many movies and stories surrounding failed utopias.

So incentive sterilization would be like a one time cash payment of $80,000 to have a vascectomy provided a person qualifies by being an undesireable trait holder. That's a good idea. However I don't think it works for people who are just lacking parenting knowledge or the initiative to learn to parent. That's why I like the witholding-it's already done if you are convicted of a drug offense.

Religion is a moving target regarding how much freedom we decide to allow people. At its core it is problematic because religion is nothing more than tradition, dogma and theocracy. Legal morals always superceed religious ones, otherwise the muslims in Dearborn Michigan could vote to throw out the constitution and institute Sharia law. But due to the freedom of religion issue this would have to be done at the state level and it would have to be applied universally to all people. Could the catholics opt out if they want to fluff their voting roles with ******ed sheep? Yes but then they'd be responsible for their own babies.

As for the failed utopia idea, that's like arguing against Ralph Nader trying to build safer cars by saying it's a utopian dream. Personally I like my seat belt and airbag. Thanks Ralph.

So incentive sterilization would be like a one time cash payment of $80,000 to have a vascectomy provided a person qualifies by being an undesireable trait holder. That's a good idea. However I don't think it works for people who are just lacking parenting knowledge or the initiative to learn to parent. That's why I like the witholding-it's already done if you are convicted of a drug offense.

Religion is a moving target regarding how much freedom we decide to allow people. At its core it is problematic because religion is nothing more than tradition, dogma and theocracy. Legal morals always superceed religious ones, otherwise the muslims in Dearborn Michigan could vote to throw out the constitution and institute Sharia law. But due to the freedom of religion issue this would have to be done at the state level and it would have to be applied universally to all people. Could the catholics opt out if they want to fluff their voting roles with ******ed sheep? Yes but then they'd be responsible for their own babies.

As for the failed utopia idea, that's like arguing against Ralph Nader trying to build safer cars by saying it's a utopian dream. Personally I like my seat belt and airbag. Thanks Ralph.

A group is already doing it for 1500.

I guess I am just hesitant with such an idea involving penalties for reproducing. When do we start constructing the Arean race v2.0 (pretty sure I spelled that wrong)

Spec,

When 99% of the human race survives to reproduce and have 2.3 kids then it's not natural evolution anymore. Good kids require good parents to raise them. It doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Tell me the advantages of parental abuse and neglect.

Spec,

When 99% of the human race survives to reproduce and have 2.3 kids then it's not natural evolution anymore. Good kids require good parents to raise them. It doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Tell me the advantages of parental abuse and neglect.

I'm not arguing that. I am practically thinking about application. I already agreed that there would be tangible benefits to restricting reproduction. I do, however, worry about establishing dangerous precedents and the feasibility of implementing such policy in a multi cultural society.

Good.

Personally I see culture as the problem. People are getting their morals from religious teachings and antiscience that are not compatible with ecology and societal improvement.

This type of reproduction plan would need to be marketed along the benefits for the mass of voters. If the mass would vote for it the subgroups would have to comply.

The best thing we could have would be disruption of the subgroups and building more nationalism around a foundation of logical thinking.

If we don't do something like this then our societal outcomes won't change.

Good.

Personally I see culture as the problem. People are getting their morals from religious teachings and antiscience that are not compatible with ecology and societal improvement.

This type of reproduction plan would need to be marketed along the benefits for the mass of voters. If the mass would vote for it the subgroups would have to comply.

If we don't do something like this then our societal outcomes won't change.

Yes

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations you get today's obvious guy award.

Study clinical research design sometime and you'll see they have regulations which cover this sort of thing.

There is even a petition to mandate that all clinical trial results be transparent.

Sign it if you want to do something positive in the real world (outside of the delusional chiropractic fantasy land).

New alliance pressing for registration of all clinical trials. Sense About Science, Bad Science, the BMJ Group, the James Lind Initiative, and the Centre for Evidence-based Medicine are spearheading an effort to mandate registration of all clinical trials. This is very important because suppression of negative results could (a) make it appear that ineffective treatments are effective and (b) lead to resources being wasted by repeating fruitless research. The alliance's first effort is a petition that states:
**Thousands of clinical trials have not reported their results; some have not even been registered.

**Information on what was done and what was found in these trials could be lost forever to doctors and researchers, leading to bad treatment decisions, missed opportunities for good medicine, and trials being repeated.

**All trials past and present should be registered, and the full methods and the results reported.

**We call on governments, regulators and research bodies to implement measures to achieve this.
So far, more than 31,000 people have signed the petition at All Trials Registered | All Results Reported.

http://www.alltrials.net/

Congratulations you get today's obvious guy award.

Study clinical research design sometime and you'll see they have regulations which cover this sort of thing.

There is even a petition to mandate that all clinical trial results be transparent.

Sign it if you want to do something positive in the real world (outside of the delusional chiropractic fantasy land).

This is a pretty huge problem, so apparently "they" haven't been following the "regulations which cover this sort of thing".

And read Goldacre's book to get yourself up to speed so you won't get tomorrow's out-of-the-loop-guy award.

Facet, you still seem to make the mistake of posing the argument that "since group A has flaws, group B is better". It is a fallacious argument that, honestly, one should be embarrassed for making. Nobody is proposing that EBM is perfect, but it is certainly better than any alternative that I have seen. It also attempts to self-regulate through competition in order to improve as opposed to jealously guarding its principles and holding them above scrutiny.

Facet, you still seem to make the mistake of posing the argument that "since group A has flaws, group B is better". It is a fallacious argument that, honestly, one should be embarrassed for making. Nobody is proposing that EBM is perfect, but it is certainly better than any alternative that I have seen. It also attempts to self-regulate through competition in order to improve as opposed to jealously guarding its principles and holding them above scrutiny.

In your example, who is Group A and who is Group B? What 2 groups are you talking about, and please don't say something like "medicine" and "CAM" or "chiropractic" or something along those lines. That's not what this thread is about.

well, it is though. Your stance in all of these threads has been trying to address your ill-perceived belief that EBM and scientific literature is given more credit than it deserves and you cite this every time your own profession goes under attack.

For the life of me I cannot identify another reason why you continually revive old threads (even though it wasn't you in this 1 particular case, although you did it at least 2 other times in this thread alone) linking articles and editorials ranging from "duh" to "derp". You obviously have a vested interest in discrediting those who aim to discredit you. If your motives are different please explain but as I said, I can't imagine another reason. :shrug:

well, it is though. Your stance in all of these threads has been trying to address your ill-perceived belief that EBM and scientific literature is given more credit than it deserves and you cite this every time your own profession goes under attack.

For the life of me I cannot identify another reason why you continually revive old threads (even though it wasn't you in this 1 particular case, although you did it at least 2 other times in this thread alone) linking articles and editorials ranging from "duh" to "derp". You obviously have a vested interest in discrediting those who aim to discredit you. If your motives are different please explain but as I said, I can't imagine another reason. :shrug:

Is it important to know that (at least some of) the EBM everyone strives for (others might say more than just some) may be built on a shaky foundation? Is that not important? And WTF does that have to do with chiropractic or butterflies or whatever else you wish to make it?

This is not a 'duh' topic. This is something we should all be concerned about, if not outright angry about.

Is it important to know that (at least some of) the EBM everyone strives for (others might say more than just some) may be built on a shaky foundation? Is that not important? And WTF does that have to do with chiropractic or butterflies or whatever else you wish to make it?

This is not a 'duh' topic. This is something we should all be concerned about, if not outright angry about.

Yes.... it is very much a "duh" topic. everyone knows there is some bias out there. What strikes me is how you have such a finely tuned critical eye for things that are only slightly off from reality and otherwise still useful once you recognize sources of potential bias yet... take no pause when linking something which fits your worldview and has little to no scientific validity to begin with. We've gone through at least 20 papers together that you have posted. You take the authors at their word when they agree with you and post them as gospel and then work so hard to exploit the slightest bit of bias in what is otherwise valid and integrity-driven scientific endeavors. :smack:

Yes.... it is very much a "duh" topic. everyone knows there is some bias out there. What strikes me is how you have such a finely tuned critical eye for things that are only slightly off from reality and otherwise still useful once you recognize sources of potential bias yet... take no pause when linking something which fits your worldview and has little to no scientific validity to begin with. We've gone through at least 20 papers together that you have posted. You take the authors at their word when they agree with you and post them as gospel and then work so hard to exploit the slightest bit of bias in what is otherwise valid and integrity-driven scientific endeavors. :smack:

When you say "everyone knows there is some bias out there" you're underestimating the scope of this and missing the boat. Do more reading on this; I think you'll be surprised. Otherwise, keep believing that everything you (will eventually) do is only based on undistorted, fully disclosed, 100% objective, untouched-by-commercial-interests information.

When you say "everyone knows there is some bias out there" you're underestimating the scope of this and missing the boat. Do more reading on this; I think you'll be surprised. Otherwise, keep believing that everything you (will eventually) do is only based on undistorted, fully disclosed, 100% objective, untouched-by-commercial-interests information.
Yes yes yes. I've "missed the boat" as evidenced by your ability to quote me saying that we all identify and acknowledge bias when it exists and act accordingly and then go on to describe this as believing that it is"only based on undistorted, fully disclosed, 100% objective, untouched-by-commercial-interests information."

Try to understand how insane ,biased, and downright dumb that comment is.....

Last edited:
In medical school we will routinely be asked to find primary literature to discuss patient cases. This included treatments, outcomes, management, whatever. The point of this activity is to develop a critical understanding of primary literature (and has been instrumental in yours and my romantic candle-lit DC paper dissections :naughty: ). The longest discussions occur when someone grabs a paper which was put out by a 3rd party or funded as such. Conflicts of interest are seen pretty readily and handled appropriately by the majority of clinicians.

The thing you forget is that the particular type of bias you try to highlight is not what the majority of EBM is. Yes, there are drug company-funded studies out there. However, not all EBM is pharmaceutical therapy based. There are outcomes, epidemiology, genetics, and case series, all of which are of little to no interest to pharma companies. Many of these studies name no specific treatment and all medications are discussed in generic and general terms. This is why I say your input here ranges from "duh to derp". Nearly everyone understands the problem with following the advice drug companies' trials without being critical. It often isn't that hard to come up with retrospective reviews or metas which will discount these papers if there is a problem. Just like when considering the first model of a new car line, its often a good idea to wait a bit and to be judicious in use until more data is available.

What gets me is your stubborn (and probably subconscious) refusal to be this critical of the same thing in the papers you love to cite about your own interests. You wave this banner and call it a "reality check" when the real reality is that everyone knows there are some people who abuse the system and that is why it was built to self-police to the best ability it can.

I mean.... you aren't even really linking papers. You are coming to a scientific community and linking Huffington post for christ's sake. They have regular writers on there with no scientific background speaking as self-appointed experts on all manner of things. As for the BMJ paper it links to.... the editorial which follows is not accounting for prevalence of disease. Are antibiotics in this unknown category? Are they lacking scientific efficacy? How about the vast majority of vaccines (I'll let you have your flu vaccine argument, although I do so on the basis that you don't understand enough about how it is generated and the biology of the influenza virus to understand why the shortcomings exist)? When you normalize against the %use of each treatment nearly everything that is done in hospitals has reasonable to strong scientific backing. You could hop on the boat with our resident homeopath (if he ever comes around anymore) and cite the conflict surrounding statins, but now we are adding a level of subjectivity that is simply inappropriate.

And as was indicated earlier in the thread, these editorial pieces often emphasize inappropriate parts of these "studies". The article doesn't list a study, they just link to t BMJ itself (probably to rhetorically give the reader a sense of import in the source) and other posters were unable to locate the study in question. Here is a good comic illustrating my point here:
747.jpg

In case you missed it: I am saying these 3rd party sources you love linking are putting their own spin on things, ironically becoming guilty of the very type of bias you are getting your lace panties all frilled up over. Interestingly, you link to a source which does not require authors to disclose conflicts of interest as are required by all reputable journals. What do you know about the authors of your OP link? If you didn't check them out before, you may have a :smack: moment coming up. One is an aging former physician who writes on the efficacy of prayer in medicine (and not from a "positive vibes for the patient" standpoint). The 2nd author sells unscientifically proven and scientifically disproven herbals to patients (there's some irony for you) and the 3rd has his PhD in..... wait for it...... ceramics :confused: and before his death in 2012 was notable for writing scathing letters to journals in defense of homeopathy (and please please tell me you understand that homeopathy is entirely baseless and more fictional than a toddlers afternoon recap of his adventures).

In summary:
You don't seem to understand how to approach a paper
You don't seem to understand the mechanics of EBM (and no, EBM is not simply "find a paper and run with it regardless of what it says"... that is what you seem to be doing)
You don't seem to understand the scope of medical literature that goes into patient care
And finally you don't seem to understand the biology of many of the things you attempt to undermine on this board.

Last edited:
In medical school we will routinely be asked to find primary literature to discuss patient cases. This included treatments, outcomes, management, whatever. The point of this activity is to develop a critical understanding of primary literature (and has been instrumental in yours and my romantic candle-lit DC paper dissections :naughty: ). The longest discussions occur when someone grabs a paper which was put out by a 3rd party or funded as such. Conflicts of interest are seen pretty readily and handled appropriately by the majority of clinicians. Blah blah blah...

So, in other words, you are so good at spotting bad literature that you can even spot the studies that never even get published? Man, you are better than I thought.

This isn't about a physician reading a pamphlet put out by a drug company and falling head over heels for that drug. It's largely about what you find when, in medical school as you mention, you go to look for literature upon which to base treatments, etc. Or when a busy physician reads the latest evidence-based guidelines. Or when a surgeon considers the evidence to decide which procedure if any is best for her patient.

Now thanks to the efforts of some (Goldacre comes to mind with his Alltrials.net efforts), perhaps someday things will get better. But we aren't there yet, and for the time being, treatment guidelines, recommendations, standards of care, and all the rest are based on evidence that is far from perfect. You're missing the missing data. (We'll forget the impact of marketing, conflicts of interest, etc for the moment.)

That's a poor misrepresentation of my point and fails entirely to address your hypocrisy

Let me just say this: Until such a time occurs that chiropractic (and a myriad of other alternative practices) even begin to approach the level of objectivity in current EBM you have a severe case of potandkettleitis. Im actually glad for your obstinance because once again I was forced to look deeper into the sources you provide and lo and behold.... They are overwhelmingly guilty of the very things the parties you direct your attacks toward are only slightly to moderately guilty of. You talk about the studies that aren't published.... Are these somehow a larger tragedy than those that are which are completely bogus (basically everything the guys in your OP have ever produced or backed). The number of retractions surrounding the fields those guys work(ed) in and are invested in are astounding. Yet, you deem them credible here and now because they suit your purpose. You don't slice evenly when you approach a problem and are so enveloped by your own bias I can't tell if you are even aware of it anymore.

Your clinical examples fall into the breakdown I gave earlier (the part which started and reiterated "you don't seem to understand"). Many of the things you cite are splitting hairs. Could the literature show a biased paper which gives a 3% better outcome of a sponsored therapy over a gold standard? Sure. Does this really matter? Only if the reality is that this therapy is harmful.... the reality is that there are numerous approaches to many diseases and EBM is the most reasonable attempt to distill it all down and figure out what is actually best. However "best" is still loosely defined at this point. Sure, there are parties out there which attempt to seed it to further their own agendas. It's unfortunate that there are people in medicine and medical research with the same ethics as those 3 in your OP. But the way this inevitably boils down is that you are an ambassador for your discipline and you simply cannot pose a valid argument against current EBM in the way that you do while backing practices that are orders of magnitude worse in terms of research practices. The things you address are often romanticisations of papers which evidence that the medical community is (and has been) aware of the issues and are (and have been) addressing them. Then some loonies get a hold of the paper and put their spin on it so that they can sell more herbal dietary supplements and meditation videos and the poor unassuming SDN chiropractor takes it hook, line, and sinker and tries to propagate the notion that medicine is infested with commercial conflicts of interest.

You dun been duped, duder :thumbup:. Now spit out the koolaid and see it, please.

Last edited:
That's a poor misrepresentation of my point and fails entirely to address your hypocrisy

Let me just say this: Until such a time occurs that chiropractic (and a myriad of other alternative practices) even begin to approach the level of objectivity in current EBM you have a severe case of potandkettleitis. Im actually glad for your obstinance because once again I was forced to look deeper into the sources you provide and lo and behold.... They are overwhelmingly guilty of the very things the parties you direct your attacks toward are only slightly to moderately guilty of. You talk about the studies that aren't published.... Are these somehow a larger tragedy than those that are which are completely bogus (basically everything the guys in your OP have ever produced or backed). The number of retractions surrounding the fields those guys work(ed) in and are invested in are astounding. Yet, you deem them credible here and now because they suit your purpose. You don't slice evenly when you approach a problem and are so enveloped by your own bias I can't tell if you are even aware of it anymore.

Your clinical examples fall into the breakdown I gave earlier (the part which started and reiterated "you don't seem to understand"). Many of the things you cite are splitting hairs. Could the literature show a biased paper which gives a 3% better outcome of a sponsored therapy over a gold standard? Sure. Does this really matter? Only if the reality is that this therapy is harmful.... the reality is that there are numerous approaches to many diseases and EBM is the most reasonable attempt to distill it all down and figure out what is actually best. However "best" is still loosely defined at this point. Sure, there are parties out there which attempt to seed it to further their own agendas. It's unfortunate that there are people in medicine and medical research with the same ethics as those 3 in your OP. But the way this inevitably boils down is that you are an ambassador for your discipline and you simply cannot pose a valid argument against current EBM in the way that you do while backing practices that are orders of magnitude worse in terms of research practices. The things you address are often romanticisations of papers which evidence that the medical community is (and has been) aware of the issues and are (and have been) addressing them. Then some loonies get a hold of the paper and put their spin on it so that they can sell more herbal dietary supplements and meditation videos and the poor unassuming SDN chiropractor takes it hook, line, and sinker and tries to propagate the notion that medicine is infested with commercial conflicts of interest.

You dun been duped, duder :thumbup:. Now spit out the koolaid and see it, please.

I'm glad to hear you are digging further into this topic. See how I continue to make you a better informed person? :thumbup:

Since you can't deny that I'm right about the chinks in the evidence base, you continue to go at chiropractic, homeopathy, and pottery. It's obfuscation but whatever. Your inquisitive mind will do more reading on this subject and will come out the better for it.

Deflection.

If that's what you wanna take away from this so be it.

Deflection.

If that's what you wanna take away from this so be it.

You can't seem to stay on topic. Why do you keep making this about homeopathy? To say that Medicine has better evidence than homeopathy doesn't negate the fact that improvements need to be made with regard to how the foundation of evidence-based medicine is formed.

You can't seem to stay on topic. Why do you keep making this about homeopathy? To say that Medicine has better evidence than homeopathy doesn't negate the fact that improvements need to be made with regard to how the foundation of evidence-based medicine is formed.

It points out your chronic bias

On the issue of publication bias:
http://cardiobrief.org/2013/03/25/emerging-biomarkers-how-reliable-is-the-evidence/

"Now a new examination of the literature published online in JAMA Internal Medicine suggests that the evidence base used to evaluate novel biomarkers may be seriously compromised by selective reporting bias."

"In an invited commentary, Steve Nissen writes that evidence-based medicine has been put on a “golden pedestal” but publication basis “is a dark secret that corrupts nearly every aspect of our profession and undermines societal efforts to promote evidence-based medicine.” "

Spec, your opposition to this is puzzling. I would think all this would be right in your wheelhouse: being critical of evidence and picking apart studies to point out their weaknesses. But I'm confident you'll come around. :thumbup:

You're posting editorials.... :rolleyes:

Ok Facet, here's the rundown:
The statement you keep trying to make in this thread is... (I think anyways) that evidence based medicine isn't very evidence based at all. I try to see what point you are actually driving at within your worldview and the only one that makes sense is this as a counterpoint to challenges that your own profession is not based on evidence at all. So in addressing your links I am looking for obvious sources of bias.

Interestingly, in the first link (as I pointed out earlier) we have 3 men all with severe conflicts of interest associated with the topics at hand. One is even selling sham treatments. Now, I called you out last time we discussed this thread for posting editorials referencing published work. You've done this constantly throughout these threads. What you need to understand is this: people editorializing on a publication are not necessarily inherently biased. It is possible for them to convey the understanding of a work that you or I would extract from it ourselves. But if they are biased it is impossible to know the original author's meanings and conclusions by reading the secondary source.

There have been numerous times that you have posed a blog or source such as this that, when I open the original document, the publication doesn't agree in the slightest with what the blogger is saying. Ironically, it is selective interpretation of the work which is exactly what they are here claiming to oust. So let's look at what the JAMA paper actually says as compared to the blogger you cite....

Blogger:
suggests that the evidence base used to evaluate novel biomarkers may be seriously compromised by selective reporting bias.

JAMA:
Very large heterogeneity and small-study effects were seen in 9 and 13 meta-analyses, respectively. In 29 meta-analyses (52%), there was a significant excess of studies with statistically significant results. Selective reporting biases may be common in the evidence on emerging cardiovascular biomarkers. Most of the proposed associations of these biomarkers may be inflated.

These are vastly different statements. The purpose of the JAMA paper is this self-policing that I have mentioned many times (that same self-policing that is absent in every paper you cite from your side of the fence). The things at play here - it is true that negative results are not often published. This isn't some greater demon of western medicine witchcraft at work here. It is intuitive. See below:

Hypothesis: Shooting myself in the leg with a 12 gauge will cure sporadic headaches.
---experiment: n=2 (legs)
Conclusion: Correlation between leg shooting and reprieve from headaches was statistically insignificant.

When do you think Nature should pick this one up? You're right in that there is some potential bias when numerous studies on the same topic show mixed results and only the positive results are published. Personally, I am not aware of too many where this happens to a truly alarming degree. It is a form of systematic error that is difficult to purge at the meta level. But there are a number of watchdog labs who do nothing but take other people's studies and blend them together to see if a real difference exists, and IIRC the statistics are powerful enough to tease this out at times even in occasions when all such papers show correlation.

In the JAMA paper, they are holding 1 meta as the gold standard in terms of "unbiased" (the largest, which is kinda fair), and comparing each to it. They are looking to see if positive outcomes are likely to be confounded by group heterogeneity and meta size. They conclude that a large number of the metas out there suffer from "small study effects" and predict that positive reporting may somewhat skew the data upward.

Now, does this mean that the findings are simply wrong? Absolutely not. And this is where I am left wondering "what is your point?". You are, perhaps without knowing it, actually highlighting the mechanisms by which EBM works and has worked for years. EBM is a conduction of studies until a base of knowledge is obtained, and then also near constant review of that knowledge in the face of new knowledge that presents itself. It changes constantly and nearly always for the better. Studies like these (and all EBM studies) serve to shape the physicians approach to disease. They give "nudges" to clinical reasoning, they don't reform it with each new publication. You seem to think that I am as biased as you are here but I have absolutely decimated papers presented on the EBM side of things as well.

In a nutshell:
1) positive reporting is often not only unavoidable, but usually the best rational approach to research (see headache analogy if you are still confused)
2) In cases where data is mixed, the competitive (or even cutthroat) atmosphere of academic research means that negative findings will be published with increasing frequency.
3) I'm actually publishing a paper right now that calls out a number of prior publications for reporting genetic anomalies in hereditary disease that are actually common variants. (just throwing this in to demonstrate that I am not crusading for the holy sanctity of EBM. I am an equal opportunity critic. Some venues just facilitate the criticism more than others)
4) EBM stands as the best approach to a systematic way of employing knowledge that we have. The alternative by which you ascribe fails in a much larger way than EBM ever does as demonstrated in our discussion here which illuminated authors of significant bias both commercially and professionally as well as the complete lack of any system of self regulation.
5) and.... I simply cannot stress this one enough.... bloggers and editorial publications are not suitable works for discussion of facts. As shown above, the author of your link is dramatically exaggerating the findings of the JAMA paper, which... Ironically, is on the topic of exaggeration in publications. Come to think of it, I don't think you've posted a paper since I've joined that doesn't trigger my irono-meter.

Just.... just look at the original studies for what they are. All studies. There are good, there are bad, and there are those like the JAMA paper that are "ok" and aim not to undermine research but to improve the body of knowledge.

There is one last thing that I should mention about the JAMA paper. They are looking at non-standard biomarkers for cardiac health. That at least suggests that the metrics they analyzed are not necessarily even being used in the clinic and could potentially be the equivalent to "counter-culture" movements in medicine that are being critically analyzed. This is an incredibly important distinction. Their importance states:
Importance Numerous cardiovascular biomarkers are proposed as potential predictors of cardiovascular risk.
further evidencing my last statement here. These are not mainstream clinical practice guides being analyzed.

So what the JAMA paper really says is: (in my words)
Non-standard biomarkers have been proposed as indicators of cardio risk. In determining their use in the clinic we considered 56 meta-analyses which investigated these markers and found 23% to be reasonably clear of bias, 52% had statistical significance above that which was predicted by our selected "gold standard", and another 23% suffered from hetergeneity (meta includes studies that are not necessarily/intuitively compatible, but not necessarily not either) and small study effects. We conclude that clinicians should exercise caution and sound clinical judgement when using the proposed non-standard biomarkers in the treatment of patients

Your article, on the other hand, states: (again, my own words, obviously)
JAMA ousts its own researchers for fraud! EBM can't be trusted! Go get accupuncture before it is too late!

Quite different..... Maybe I exaggerated a little in my interpretation of the latter, but hey.... turnabout is fair play ;)

Oh, I see. None of these people knows what they're talking about. Got it.

Read the longer post and please stop blatantly misrepresenting my statements. I addressed your point here specifically before you even made it. This is the 2nd time in this thread alone that you've done this. Its moving from the territory of "sad" to borderline impressive with how selective you can be in your reading.