Science Classes Harder Than I Expected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cello

Practicing Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Biology I, Chemistry I, and precalc right now, which I figured would be relatively easy since I'm used to taking upwards of 24 credit hours from my major. But, so far, chemistry has proven itself to be quite difficult. (Edit: I suppose the thread should be titled: "Chemistry Harder Than I Expected")

We delved right into Schrodinger's equation and basic quantum mechanics, which I easily grasped conceptually, but the test proved to be quite tricky as it required far more formulaic work than we had encountered in the course up to this point. Actually, the class average was a pathetic 54%.... I was pretty disappointed to have gotten a C (75%) but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll curve.

Anyway, I need a high GPA (like 4.0 if possible) to counter my 3.3 GPA from undergrad. Any advice on nailing chemistry? Conceptually it all makes sense. Where I find it more difficult is in not making a single mistake while applying formulas and being rushed for time. Are there any sites out there with loads of chemistry problems and answers to solve? We're using the Zumdahl Atoms First Approach text if anyone is familiar with that. Anyone have a similar experience? So far biology is cake, and precalc isn't too bad, but chemistry is much harder than I expected. I had hoped that Khan Academy would come in handy for these courses like it did for my community college trig class, but so far it hasn't really done much at all...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it gets harder from here. good luck.

it gets harder from here. good luck.

Yeah, I figured as much. I was just a bit surprised that the average score on a basic chem exam was a failing grade. How do most of these kids move on? I mean, if 3 sections with 350 students are averaging an E on a major exam, what hope do the majority of these students have? What hope do the rest of us have of achieving an A? From what I've been told, only one person got all possible points, from ~1,000 students. Hopefully the stats don't get too much worse from here, or only 10% of us will even make it out alive!

Members don't see this ad :)
The averages are normally low. People who fail usually try again (bad semester?) or leave pre health. It only gets harder, including other science classes and dental school itself. Think of it as a favor making it hard from the beginning.

Yeah, I figured as much. I was just a bit surprised that the average score on a basic chem exam was a failing grade. How do most of these kids move on? I mean, if 3 sections with 350 students are averaging an E on a major exam, what hope do the majority of these students have? What hope do the rest of us have of achieving an A? From what I've been told, only one person got all possible points, from ~1,000 students. Hopefully the stats don't get too much worse from here, or only 10% of us will even make it out alive!

From what ive seen this kind of thing is not uncommon in chemistry classes. You really just need to work the problems. Often the professor will end up offering to drop a test. You just need to keep at it.

Throughout all my UG sciences [with the exception of some upper division courses] most class averages were 50-60%. You'll learn to play the game. What you'll find is that the class is difficult b/c of the exam/competition rather than just learning the information.

Or, more accurately, having a casual understanding of the information isn't enough to get an A but is enough to get a C.

You'll need to really step up your game to make A's in competitive science classes. This translates into really rigorous prep before each exam & getting into the mind set that the class is a competition! Pull out all the stops and go for it!

90% perspiration 10% inspiration.

Thanks for the feedback, the best thing I can figure is that I know how to study for the next one. Anyone have any good online resources they recommend for general chemistry? I really just need a bunch of problems to solve since I've exhausted the ones in my text for chapters I've already read. Thanks!

pretty sure they are going to curve your exam....no way they fail 50% of the class.

Thanks for the feedback, the best thing I can figure is that I know how to study for the next one. Anyone have any good online resources they recommend for general chemistry? I really just need a bunch of problems to solve since I've exhausted the ones in my text for chapters I've already read. Thanks!

Have you tried using chad's videos? I think he also has videos for undergrad general chemistry courses as well ad physics. :thumbup:

Have you tried using chad's videos? I think he also has videos for undergrad general chemistry courses as well ad physics. :thumbup:
Yep..I was going to suggest Chad's videos as well. Go to ***********.com
and check out college chemistries. I didn't know about him until the end of orgo 1. Like a previous person said...work hard! You have to do many problems and lots of homework to really understand it and to be able to apply it on an exam. Gen chem 2 is harder...FYI

O pshhh what are you worried about just cheat.....:annoyed: jk jk
It does suck to think that some schools don't curve some sci classes. You might get a 80% in a class and get a B while at another school that's an A.. On paper the other guy is better.....so annoying. I had a bio 2 with no curve and ~50% of the last the semester before me didn't pass! Not to scare you but it's just an example of how that sucks.
Good luck my friend you will do great!

pretty sure they are going to curve your exam....no way they fail 50% of the class.

If the OP goes to a large university, this may most definitely be the case. I generally recommend against large, prestigious state schools because of this very reason--they are CONSTANTLY trying to weed students out. I don't know where the OP is attending school, though. However, at the most prestigious state school where I am located, typically about 4% of students in gen chem I make As. These are also 400-person classes where there is very little opportunity for any sort of personalized learning experience. The vast majority of students make Ds and Fs.

My organic teacher told me point-blank that when he used to teach at a large state school, his department received an e-mail stating that they had too many pre-meds and that teachers needed to fail at least 50% of their students. He left soon after. This is no exaggeration, and this definitely happens. Things like this make me love being at a small school! :)

Are you saying you guys were doing advanced math in Gen Chem 1?

Anyways, as far as difficult classes goes, it's generally always the same story for me:

-Study more.
-Get to know your teacher really well (meaning, use the office hours. It's free instruction)
-Use every opportunity your school has. For instance, my school has free tutoring from 8-5 every day.
-Study more.

Are you saying you guys were doing advanced math in Gen Chem 1?

Anyways, as far as difficult classes goes, it's generally always the same story for me:

-Study more.
-Get to know your teacher really well (meaning, use the office hours. It's free instruction)
-Use every opportunity your school has. For instance, my school has free tutoring from 8-5 every day.
-Study more.

Yeah this is your best bet. "If your pencil isn't moving, you can't be studying chemistry"