MD & DO Science GPA:3.68 Cumulative: 3.76 MCAT:28-Need to know schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

September24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 9/9/10
Texas Resident

Extracurricular:
Co-Chair of Two organizations
Founder of organization
Have around 150 hours of regular volunteering

2 Shadowing endeavors compiling to 100-150 hours.

1 Summer of research internship out of state
1 semester of research at college.

50 Hours of Hospice volunteering
Currently volunteering at 2 hospitals (doing different things) with total hours totaling to 100 hours. I should have more.

That's all I have for now. I'm just at a loss for what schools to apply to. I made a list and that list got killed because it had a bunch of schools that apparently I am not fit for. Therefore, I am turning to you guys. I will apply to all TMDSAS schools, but need around 5-10 DO schools to apply to as well as 5-10 AMCAS schools.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your MCAT is too old. They will only accept within the last two years. :( But on the bright side, you don't need to do the essay part. I can't help you with the DO schools but I can help you with the DO schools, but for MD, I'd recommend Tulane, some east coast schools, some CA schools and some Mid West schools. I'm an East coaster, so for my part of the country, I'd recommend adding: USF, VCU, EVMS, U Maryland, TJ, UConn, GU SOM & GW (both low yield though. So is Drexel, but maybe that too.), Rochester, Albany, NYMC, UMass.

Make sure you pick schools based off of how much you like them and based off of where their students get matched. Don't base it off of selectivity, b/c selectivity is not proportional to quality of education for med schools.

Do you have an MSAR account? You should get one if not, so you can apply to a wide range of schools. It is very helpful and well worth the money.

Hope I was able to help!

I'm assuming the 9/9/10 is your score breakdown, right? Ignore the other poster then, your mcat is fine unless it really is like 4 years old!

Definitely get the MSAR. It'll help you a lot, just see what schools that your gpa and mcat are in range with and use those as your schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your MCAT is too old. They will only accept within the last two years. :( But on the bright side, you don't need to do the essay part. I can't help you with the DO schools but I can help you with the DO schools, but for MD, I'd recommend Tulane, some east coast schools, some CA schools and some Mid West schools. I'm an East coaster, so for my part of the country, I'd recommend adding: USF, VCU, EVMS, U Maryland, TJ, UConn, GU SOM & GW (both low yield though. So is Drexel, but maybe that too.), Rochester, Albany, NYMC, UMass.

Make sure you pick schools based off of how much you like them and based off of where their students get matched. Don't base it off of selectivity, b/c selectivity is not proportional to quality of education for med schools.

Do you have an MSAR account? You should get one if not, so you can apply to a wide range of schools. It is very helpful and well worth the money.

Hope I was able to help!

You might wanna peak over the msar yourself...umass hardly accepts any OOS students. You listed several state schools there.

MCAT: 9/9/10
Texas Resident

Extracurricular:
Co-Chair of Two organizations
Founder of organization
Have around 150 hours of regular volunteering

2 Shadowing endeavors compiling to 100-150 hours.

1 Summer of research internship out of state
1 semester of research at college.

50 Hours of Hospice volunteering
Currently volunteering at 2 hospitals (doing different things) with total hours totaling to 100 hours. I should have more.

That's all I have for now. I'm just at a loss for what schools to apply to. I made a list and that list got killed because it had a bunch of schools that apparently I am not fit for. Therefore, I am turning to you guys. I will apply to all TMDSAS schools, but need around 5-10 DO schools to apply to as well as 5-10 AMCAS schools.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Molybdenum's list featured a bunch of inappropriate schools. I'd focus more on the newer MD schools, Rosalind Franklin, Albany, NYMC, many of the SUNY's, maybe a couple Florida schools, but honestly your best chances are in TX.

I would either study and retake the MCAT or just apply DO. Your mcat really kills your chances at most MD programs. Also be careful when choosing your school list, Molybdenum I'm sure had great intentions, but gave you really bad advice on schools to apply to...

I really appreciate the help everyone . I'll get the MSAR. I do wanna note that I unfortunately have no experience with shadowing a DO doctor so that's one of my biggest weaknesses as far as DO goes. But I heard that there are osteopathic schools that don't require much do shadowing. Does anyone know what those are?

Shadowing a DO is NOT required but it is helpful. Shows you've gone the extra mile to find out what you're getting into. \Bbut some schools require a DO LOR.

I really appreciate the help everyone . I'll get the MSAR. I do wanna note that I unfortunately have no experience with shadowing a DO doctor so that's one of my biggest weaknesses as far as DO goes. But I heard that there are osteopathic schools that don't require much do shadowing. Does anyone know what those are?

Rude. I apologize for trying to help. The OP asked for school names. How many did you have to offer?
Sorry for thinking your MCAT score was the date you took it. I was making those recommendations thinking you still had to retake the MCAT. 75% of people who get your score improve on retaking the exam. So, I think you should try considering taking the MCAT again, even if it is post applying because you can send an update to most schools plus they will see it on you application. I disagree that TX is the best bet with your current MCAT. They are right about UMass being for in staters, but it is very wrong to think that a 28 MCAT score kills your chances. 50% of applicants whose score was 27 or below were accepted to Meharry Medical College in Nashville - 450 out of 478 were OOS. Most schools in Florida do not favor out of state applicants, so I do not recommend there. Also, I think if you apply to 15 AMCAS schools, you need to apply to only a couple reach schools. Good luck and I hope the MSAR gives you more school names to apply to than ciestar did.

Rude. I apologize for trying to help. The OP asked for school names. How many did you have to offer?
Sorry for thinking your MCAT score was the date you took it. I was making those recommendations thinking you still had to retake the MCAT. 75% of people who get your score improve on retaking the exam. So, I think you should try considering taking the MCAT again, even if it is post applying because you can send an update to most schools plus they will see it on you application. I disagree that TX is the best bet with your current MCAT. They are right about UMass being for in staters, but it is very wrong to think that a 28 MCAT score kills your chances. 50% of applicants whose score was 27 or below were accepted to Meharry Medical College in Nashville - 450 out of 478 were OOS. Most schools in Florida do not favor out of state applicants, so I do not recommend there. Also, I think if you apply to 15 AMCAS schools, you need to apply to only a couple reach schools. Good luck and I hope the MSAR gives you more school names to apply to than ciestar did.

You do realize you are continuing to suggest a historically black college, and that is why the stats are much lower than the norm, right?

I do realize this, but I do not see the correlation you are making. I was using it as an example for stats of students who got in. I do not assume the race, sex, or orientation of someone online. Anyway, good luck in your application. May you achieve your goals and dreams regardless of the path you take or how long it takes you to get there.

I do realize this, but I do not see the correlation you are making. I was using it as an example for stats of students who got in. I do not assume the race, sex, or orientation of someone online. Anyway, good luck in your application. May you achieve your goals and dreams regardless of the path you take or how long it takes you to get there.
Those stats aren't representative at all for the vast majority of applicants, and without stating this information in your posts you are doing an absolute disservice to people you are giving advice to. Many people don't know about the historically black colleges, and you essentially are telling them waste their money applying there, if not in some cases a worse advice of telling them they are fine to apply when realistically chances are very slim. You also recommended schools that are extremely low yield for the applicant's stats, I really recommend you be more careful with what you state, or wait and learn a bit more about the application process and schools to do your absolute best to successfully and accurately help people.