Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdonaiAcey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally, how important is Science GPA to OT schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Your pre-req GPA is way more important. I don't think your general science GPA would be calculated by most schools in the way that say, med schools would calculate it because not all sciences are relevant to OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on what factors the school is looking at. Each school has certain things they consider important while others weigh everything equally. If the school combines everything, then good grades and high GRE scores can balance out a few lackluster grades. I'm not sure about the science GPA being a major factor, but I think many schools look closely at grades in pre-reqs like A&P 1 and 2.

Some schools are also completely unprofessional, in my humble opinion, about how they look at grades. Some don't bother to consider where you went to school and if that lower GPA comes from a Harvard or podunck easy school.

If you don't think your science GPA will be an extremely low number, don't loose any sleep about it. The people picking you are teachers in the program, doing this application work while they are teaching, not the professional student admissions reps that selected you for your undergrad program. I'm seen some of the craziest matrixes for how some programs select their students and GPA is just one part.