Scientific Hand Analysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostongal109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was out this weekend found a business card on a table at a restaurant. The card has a social worker's information (clearly labed that she is an LICSW) and her card states she is a "Creator/Strategist/Mentor" and preforms "Scientific Hand Analysis." There is a website listed so I checked it out to see if this was for real. It is. She has published books and labels herself an expert. She charges $497 for a hand analysis, where you mail her a hand print.

So my question is: Is this really ethical? To charge people for this while using your LICSW credentials? If I were an LICSW I wouldn't be too happy to be associated with that.

Thoughts? Is there a hand analysis class in social work school that nobody talks about? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like modern day phrenology to me.
Or literally palm reading. If it's scienetific, I'd call and ask for the peer-reviewed research on hand reading and see how long it takes her to hang up on you.

Does she also offer rainbow-unicorn-dolphin therapy? :p

Reactions: 1 user
Is her name Pheobe Buffay and lives in Greenich Village?

"Yes, it is scientific. The lines in your hands mimic the neural pathways in
your brain. Consistent thought and behavior patterns not only mark your
brain but also your hands. The more frequent and/or intense the thoughts
and behaviors, the more defined the lines in your hands.
Neurologists, geneticists, therapists, and coaches are fast adopting this compelling
, complex, and accurate modality. "

<http://handstosuccess.com/growing-case-hand-analysis/>

lol. It would be nice if that person did not associate their social work license with this, "scientific" form of palmistry. I know it's unethical, but I have to assume associating your license with something as hokey as this as though one lends credence to the other is also against some NASW rules as well...

"Yes, it is scientific. The lines in your hands mimic the neural pathways in
your brain. Consistent thought and behavior patterns not only mark your
brain but also your hands. The more frequent and/or intense the thoughts
and behaviors, the more defined the lines in your hands.
Neurologists, geneticists, therapists, and coaches are fast adopting this compelling
, complex, and accurate modality. "

<http://handstosuccess.com/growing-case-hand-analysis/>

lol. It would be nice if that person did not associate their social work license with this, "scientific" form of palmistry. I know it's unethical, but I have to assume associating your license with something as hokey as this as though one lends credence to the other is also against some NASW rules as well...

Oh, it's "compelling" evidence. Well, then. Why didn't you say so. lol A bunch of cog bias testimonials of hits and no misses. I'd take even a non-peer reviewed study. I need practice in analyzing and tearing down research. The closest thing I saw on the site was an article she wrote herself. ...and when it contained no references to anything but its praises, I closed it.

When it comes to the OP post... I'm betting that individual found that working in her educational scope was harder and less profitable than selling snake oil and doing palm readings... oh i'm sorry, "Hand Analysis". That does sound more scientific, doesn't it? Being a LCSW just turned into a marketing tool for that business. Do you have to keep up a certain number of clinic hours to keep your license as an LCSW? If so, I'd like to know if she counts these palm readings as clinic hours towards that. THAT is something about which the licensing board might have something to say.

"Science Never Lies!" Maybe, but I'm not seeing any science here, anyway. Besides, "science" is only as good as its methods and the people doing the analysis. Which in this case... *inhales sharply*

i don't know where you live, but in my state (oregon) there is a State Board of Licensed Social Workers, and they have a process for investigating malpractice. if you think that "scientific hand analysis" falls outside the social worker scope of practice (and my suspicion is: you're right) then I'd encourage you to find out who oversees social workers in your state and file a report.

you wouldn't have to do any more than say the truth: lay it out plainly, say that you are not a patient/client of this person but you happened to come across their practice and you have concerns that it is irregular. include information from the business card and website, and a URL to the website, then leave it in their hands.

a lot of charlatans stay in practice just because they never come to the attention of their governing boards. you could help prevent some desperate people from being swindled out of their money!

Reactions: 5 users
I would highly encourage you to report this to your state's social work licensing board. Because really what this individual needs is education and one can hope that that's what the board will help provide.

In my state that would definitely be investigated. We only have one MSW program (several BSW) though and the board and school are tight knit.

Also, no I did not have a "hand analysis" class lol. There were some SW beloved behavior theories I found sketchy, but we were throughly grounded in EBPs and how to read and critique research.

However, it totally would not surprise me if there were an MSW program somewhere that did, just like many crappy psych programs that teach crystals and moonbeams....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure! I'm reading this at lunch on my phone, so give me a few days to respond. If I haven't responded by then please feel free to PM me to remind me.

I would highly encourage you to report this to your state's social work licensing board. Because really what this individual needs is education and one can hope that that's what the board will help provide.

In my state that would definitely be investigated. We only have one MSW program (several BSW) though and the board and school are tight knit.

Also, no I did not have a "hand analysis" class lol. There were some SW beloved behavior theories I found sketchy, but we were throughly grounded in EBPs and how to read and critique research.

However, it totally would not surprise me if there were an MSW program somewhere that did, just like many crappy psych programs that teach crystals and moonbeams....

Moonbeams are only part of the standard scope of practice for (1) astronomers and (2) Pepe Le Pew (and I'm not sure about Pepe...he's been sanctioned many times for multiple boundary crossings with his feline clientele)

Reactions: 2 users
So I reviewed a few of my syllabi so I could provide a few hard examples, but I really only gave it a half-hearted attempt. Also, some of these examples could be due to the specific psych undergrad program I went to, so maybe someone else can help me put these into perspective.

So when I got to my MSW program, I started hearing of theories and theorists (for all types of frameworks, not just therapy) that I'd never had exposure to in my undergrad psych program. Like Vygotsky (cognition) for example. But when I google Vygotsky, he doesn't seem particularly seem controversial? Also, I had a problem with the way we were taught theories. Like when we were introduced to Bowen for family therapy. I felt like not enough attention was paid to explaining how wrong some of his theories turned out to be, mostly like it was glossed over. Yes, yes, triangles, but please re-iterate how wrong he is about schizophrenia. Also, I am very new to family therapy modalities, but everything I found about Bowenian therapy is old. In my personal research it seem as this is old and outdated. I'm really just not sure it's a current theory (please someone with more experience correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, it is important to understand it as foundation, but does it have research backing it? I know it's family therapy and there are problems studying it to begin with, but I don't know. This theory went on the back burner in my mind for many reasons haha. This could be because of my personal bias?

There are some theoretical frameworks, like the ecological perspective, that seem like barely more than an extended metaphor. Mostly when I think of the "beloved theories" statement I made earlier, they were theories of human development that I had literally never heard before I got to an MSW program. We were also reminded of Erikson and Piaget etc.. but also some really wonky theories I obviously immediately blocked out. I wanted to pull out my books to give you a good side by side comparison, but I really am not finding the time for that. And I discovered my developmental psych books are in storage haha.

I guess some of my feelings can be summed up by saying I felt like in my foundation courses (first year of program) we got a huge BROAD education rather than focusing on a few scientifically grounded theories. This is also directly related to the MSW program I went to, as it has a much larger generalist leaning than I thought when I chose the school. I felt like throughout my program they have said, "here are the theories of the world and everything, now research and pick one that you are comfortable with and think has the most efficacy." I have taken great care to pick highly focused classes when I could, and I did so with my practicum site as well.

And so that readers don't think my whole program was a mash of touchy-feely socialworky stories, what I did appreciate is that my program spent a lot of time teaching us how to review research literature and critique it. Many assignments covered how to review research and apply to a practical situation. While I don't think that my education has been ideal, I am not certain the grass is greener in counseling programs in my area. I ran into a student from a counseling program (a state run university -- not a private or professional school) who had not had a DSM or psychopathology class. Maybe she had not had it yet, but she was in a counseling focused practicum at the time.

I'm not sure I answered your question specifically Future, but maybe I answered it generally? LOL

So I reviewed a few of my syllabi so I could provide a few hard examples, but I really only gave it a half-hearted attempt. Also, some of these examples could be due to the specific psych undergrad program I went to, so maybe someone else can help me put these into perspective.

So when I got to my MSW program, I started hearing of theories and theorists (for all types of frameworks, not just therapy) that I'd never had exposure to in my undergrad psych program. Like Vygotsky (cognition) for example. But when I google Vygotsky, he doesn't seem particularly seem controversial? Also, I had a problem with the way we were taught theories. Like when we were introduced to Bowen for family therapy. I felt like not enough attention was paid to explaining how wrong some of his theories turned out to be, mostly like it was glossed over. Yes, yes, triangles, but please re-iterate how wrong he is about schizophrenia. Also, I am very new to family therapy modalities, but everything I found about Bowenian therapy is old. In my personal research it seem as this is old and outdated. I'm really just not sure it's a current theory (please someone with more experience correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, it is important to understand it as foundation, but does it have research backing it? I know it's family therapy and there are problems studying it to begin with, but I don't know. This theory went on the back burner in my mind for many reasons haha. This could be because of my personal bias?

There are some theoretical frameworks, like the ecological perspective, that seem like barely more than an extended metaphor. Mostly when I think of the "beloved theories" statement I made earlier, they were theories of human development that I had literally never heard before I got to an MSW program. We were also reminded of Erikson and Piaget etc.. but also some really wonky theories I obviously immediately blocked out. I wanted to pull out my books to give you a good side by side comparison, but I really am not finding the time for that. And I discovered my developmental psych books are in storage haha.

I guess some of my feelings can be summed up by saying I felt like in my foundation courses (first year of program) we got a huge BROAD education rather than focusing on a few scientifically grounded theories. This is also directly related to the MSW program I went to, as it has a much larger generalist leaning than I thought when I chose the school. I felt like throughout my program they have said, "here are the theories of the world and everything, now research and pick one that you are comfortable with and think has the most efficacy." I have taken great care to pick highly focused classes when I could, and I did so with my practicum site as well.

And so that readers don't think my whole program was a mash of touchy-feely socialworky stories, what I did appreciate is that my program spent a lot of time teaching us how to review research literature and critique it. Many assignments covered how to review research and apply to a practical situation. While I don't think that my education has been ideal, I am not certain the grass is greener in counseling programs in my area. I ran into a student from a counseling program (a state run university -- not a private or professional school) who had not had a DSM or psychopathology class. Maybe she had not had it yet, but she was in a counseling focused practicum at the time.

I'm not sure I answered your question specifically Future, but maybe I answered it generally? LOL
On the other hand, why would you spend a lot of time focusing on what a theorist got wrong as you alluded to regarding Bowen? I don't know if anybody sees schizophrenia as being caused by maternal interactions. Also, being able to integrate and discard as much as possible from all of the various theories is essential to practice because they are all talking about various aspects of human development. Even the oft maligned Freud is helpful especially when you translate some of the concepts into more modern neurobiological constructs. I can talk about DBT and the Emotional mind and Rational mind and the Wise mind or I can talk about how the ego mediates impulses arising from the id through the internalized idealized objects of the supergo or I can talk about the orbito-frontal cortex and the inhibitory and excitatory pathways to the structures of the limbic system and how these are formed through caregiver-child interactions. I won't talk about how the hand reveals any of that though because there is no evidence to back that up.

I don't disagree with you SmallTown. I am not saying do away with Freud and Bowen etc completely in favor of newer theories. However, I had fellow students who DID believe that schizophrenia was created by family dynamics after we went over the chapter -- therefore in my opinion there had to be a disconnect. Either with the professor or the students. Maybe my classmates should have read the chapter better, I don't know. I just remember being really frustrated several times after that chapter and having to remind fellow classmates during discussions on schizophrenia that particular part of his original framework was incorrect.

I don't disagree with you SmallTown. I am not saying do away with Freud and Bowen etc completely in favor of newer theories. However, I had fellow students who DID believe that schizophrenia was created by family dynamics after we went over the chapter -- therefore in my opinion there had to be a disconnect. Either with the professor or the students. Maybe my classmates should have read the chapter better, I don't know. I just remember being really frustrated several times after that chapter and having to remind fellow classmates during discussions on schizophrenia that particular part of his original framework was incorrect.
We had a couple of students in my cohort that believed in some pretty silly stuff. It is like the Elvis Presley effect, 10% are convinced he is still alive. In other words, there are always going to be people who ignore data that contradicts their belief.

Are you ssuuuuuuurrreee it's only 10%? :) Some days I must be lucky enough to only interact with that 10%.

Heard this week from wide range of professionals, all with a masters degree or above.

"It takes a month to digest meat."
"People who have PTSD don't get REM sleep." <---EMDR groupie
"I call them patients, only hookers and lawyers have clients."

I call them patients as well. I work in a medical setting and it would be ridiculous (for many reasons) not to. I have nooo problem with that. I was just mildly annoyed (not completely annoyed) at the idea and his implication that in certain settings the term "client" wasn't a legitimate choice.

My least favorite term is consumer. That makes me feel like I'm working retail again. *shudder*

Are you ssuuuuuuurrreee it's only 10%? :) Some days I must be lucky enough to only interact with that 10%.

Heard this week from wide range of professionals, all with a masters degree or above.

"It takes a month to digest meat."
"People who have PTSD don't get REM sleep." <---EMDR groupie
"I call them patients, only hookers and lawyers have clients."
lol
I worked in other fields for about 20 years and they say and believe even more ridiculous things. :D
I hear you though. I would like to see better from our colleagues. Although I kind of like the hookers and lawyers line.

My least favorite term is consumer. That makes me feel like I'm working retail again. *shudder*

Agreed. My current agency calls them "consumers." It makes me feel like we're peddling them some BS.