SCO- What are my Chances of Getting in? Opinions Wanted.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loantrinh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys-

What do you guys think my chances are of getting into SCO?

I interviewed on Jan 6, 2006, and the interview went pretty well.
My GPA is 2.94 ( hopefully that will go up after this Quarter), I go UCSD, My OAT SCORE was 330.

I have alot with a Vision therapy Optometrist for 6 months, and interned for 2 private practice optometrists for the past 2 years. I am also secretary of Insight Pre-Optometry Club and Co-Vice President of vision Screenings of Unite for Sight.
I also have been working part time as a Receptionist for a Psychiatry office for the past three years.

SCO has received all of my documents, and finally received the Advisor reccomendation letter. Please let me know what you think and any words of encouragement would be gladly accepted!
-loan

Members don't see this ad.

loantrinh said:
Hey Guys-

My GPA is 2.94 ( hopefully that will go up after this Quarter), I go UCSD, My OAT SCORE was 330.

I have alot with a Vision therapy Optometrist for 6 months, and interned for 2 private practice optometrists for the past 2 years. I am also secretary of Insight Pre-Optometry Club and Co-Vice President of vision Screenings of Unite for Sight.
I also have been working part time as a Receptionist for a Psychiatry office for the past three years.

SCO has received all of my documents, and finally received the Advisor reccomendation letter. Please let me know what you think and any words of encouragement would be gladly accepted!
-loan

I would say you definately do have a chance of getting in. Your gpa is a little low but not the lowest they've accepted. I feel SCO cares more about your board scores and you have a decent score. Plus, you sound involved which equals well-rounded, which they like!
Good luck and keep your hopes up!

(less than 2 1/2 years left!)

I interviewed at SCO in December. OAT-330, GPA-3.82. I received a letter that stated my application was placed in hold status and would be reviewed periodically. I was very disappointed as I thought the interview went well. I've been accepted to 2 other schools but SCO was my first choice. Still hoping.

Members don't see this ad :)
sco1styear said:
I would say you definately do have a chance of getting in. Your gpa is a little low but not the lowest they've accepted. I feel SCO cares more about your board scores and you have a decent score. Plus, you sound involved which equals well-rounded, which they like!
Good luck and keep your hopes up!

(less than 2 1/2 years left!)

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it really made my weekend. :p

loantrinh said:

BTW, I didn't get accepted until the end of jan

loantrinh said:

Did you also apply to other school? I would suggest applying to more than one school if you haven't.

Pco2010 said:
Did you also apply to other school? I would suggest applying to more than one school if you haven't.

Yes I did.. I am just asking for this school specifically because it is my top choice at this moment.

I applied to SUNY and SCCO also. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

your chances are definitely good. although your GPA is a bit on the low side, your EC's and OAT are quite solid, so you have all the reason to stay positive and confident. it's hard not to be nervous, so all i can do is wish you the best of luck. :)

loantrinh said:
Hey Guys-

-loan

loantrinh said:
Yes I did.. I am just asking for this school specifically because it is my top choice at this moment.

I applied to SUNY and SCCO also. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

It would be wise for you to apply to PCO, ICO, NOVA and NECO. When I was at SUNY's interview, one of the interviewers told me that with my GPA and my OAT score I am considered average. They told me that the chances for me to get accepted is slim, and later I got a notice that I was placed on waiting-list.

While I was at SCCO for my interview, one of the interviewers told me that they first select applicants who had at least a total GPA of 3.0 or above for interview. However, once you get interviewed, they add points from your GPA+OAT with your interview score and if your score hits their acceptance score, you get accepted. I probably did badly on my interview or maybe my total GPA was too low that I was placed on waiting-list.

Anyway, I wish you good luck getting into a school, but I would greatly suggest you apply to more schools just to increase the chances of you getting into an optometry school.

My stats:
Total GPA: 3.05 Prereq GPA:3.45
OAT AA:340 TS:360
UCSB Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
1 year and 3 months of eye clinic experience