Score Improvements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

showeeeeeeeee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question:

When I see people talking about TPR or Kaplan and they mention score improvements, they're usually talking about their first score on a test at the beginning of class. Well, that seems a little fishy to me because first of all, no one is prepared at all at the beginning. Anyone can improve their score just by doing a little studying. Second, I'd like to know about score improvements from actual mcats. For instance, I took the mcat once and I am going to take it again. I'd like to know if people saw improvements from their first score to their second score while taking a prep course.

Anyone have any insight?
:(

Members don't see this ad.

If you need to take the MCAT again, and did not take a course for the MCAT the first time, I would recommend taking a course this time. You don't want to be in a position of having to the MCAT 3 times as adcoms would not like that, and if you don't do anything differently this time then you can't expect a different score on your MCAT. If you are worried about the cost, consider that spending a thousand dollars on an MCAT course may affect where you will spend over a hundred thousand for medical school. The courses are not that good for teaching people the material but they are excellent in making students practice test taking strategies on simulated tests. Good luck...

showee, I took a prep course after doing very poorly on the MCAT. My score improved by 6 points on the BS and the PS section. However,my verbal stayed the same, so it looks like I'll be filling out the ol' online MCAT registration soon..... :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
i sympathize with all who have to take the mcat for a 2nd or 3rd time....i just found out my scores yesterday (after an excellent week's vacation) and it wasn't pretty. it was as if half of my scores were mine to claim and the other half were from some alien being. although i won't use my testing conditions as a scapegoat, as they did suck ass, but they did have a bit of an influence over my scores. regardless, i'm signed up for the august mcat. i've been trying to not be depressed about re-taking it, but it's been a tough 24 hours. any suggestions for how i can be motivated to study all that stuff again? i feel like i'm repeating a class or something. :mad:

hehehe BUMP. THis was me a year and a half ago....goodness, i'm glad i never have to take the mcat again.

wow, blow the dust off of that thread. :)

no more mcat for me either :)
no more physics
no more math
no more organic chemistry
it's all smooth sailing from here ;)

Originally posted by buglady
hehehe BUMP. THis was me a year and a half ago....goodness, i'm glad i never have to take the mcat again.

yipeeeeeeeeeeee, no more mcat for buglady :clap: hopefully i'll be saying the same thing soon!

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
no more mcat for me either :)
no more physics
no more math
no more organic chemistry
it's all smooth sailing from here ;)
sounds like the "famous last words" of an entering MS1 :laugh:

First time I took the MCATs with minimal prep (hey, I thought they were like the SATs where you don't have to prepare!) I got a 30N, applied & didn't get in. Then I took a Kaplan class and studied verbal passages nonstop for a week before, came down with a nasty cold and got a 33P. (Biggest increase V8 - V10, also B11-B12, though the bio increase was probably just due to me taking Animal Physiology which is all over the bio section.) I bet I would have done better if my head hadn't been swimming in mucus, but it got me in, so it was aparently good enough.

Famous last words is right - just today I was studying Gibbs free energy and oxidation/reduction for my biochem exam Monday! And after that comes the joys of hemodynamics (involving pressure, velocity etc) for physiology. :)

Lara, who'd also hoped to be done with physics for good after August of 99...

hahah

Man! No more mcat for me! And that's not due to an acceptance. It's just due to the fact that I am getting old and tired and don't feel that I can ever prove myself more on this test!