Score recheck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RimaP

LoveMed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received my MCAT score and it was more than 15 points lower than what I usually make

When I did so many practice tests I have made 26 and even a 29 once
But when I took the real deal I made a 12.. Yes a 12.. I have no idea what happened. I answered every single question, even with that I have never made below a 20 while I was practicing

Should I get a recheck? Should I wait later to take the MCAT? (I'm registered again in Jan) someone please help!

Members don't see this ad.

So I just received my MCAT score and it was more than 15 points lower than what I usually make

But when I took the real deal I made a 12.. Yes a 12.. I have no idea what happened. I answered every single question, even with that I have never made below a 20 while I was practicing

Should I get a recheck? Should I wait later to take the MCAT? (I'm registered again in Jan) someone please help!

what was your practice test average? this is one case I think a rescore could be justified. maybe a mistake was made? seems very unlikely you'd score this low if the average was >24 or so unless you felt like you guessed on most questions.

A 12 on the MCAT, even with a retake that results in a score more like what you average on the practice tests, is going to severely cripple your app to med schools. It would be worth your time to see if you can get a rescore even if there is a slim change it will happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you fill in the wrong bubble sheet or something? (yes I know the test is on a computer)

My average on the practice tests (including AAMC and Kaplan) would be around a 26 usually. My highest was a 32 and lowest was 24. Never below a 20. And it was on the computer so I just don't understand what is going on!

what was your practice test average? this is one case I think a rescore could be justified. maybe a mistake was made? seems very unlikely you'd score this low if the average was >24 or so unless you felt like you guessed on most questions.
Around 26 - 28.

...a 12? How did you feel about the test? I don't really know what to say. That's so low and so much lower than your average that I'd say yeah, pay for a rescore.

so that's like a 4 in each section. i'd think you'd only have to get maybe 24/52 in each science to obtain that, and around 14/40 in verbal (and that's probably on the higher end for sure). unless you think you DID NOT get more than that many questions right, i'd definitely go for the rescore. aamc might have severely f'ed up on this one.

i came here to mock the idea of a rescore, but a 12?!?!?!? I'd ask for a rescore too

Reactions: 4 users
Also if you retake and do well I don't think this will hurt you that badly. Obviously something happened. The second score will be important though.

I hope it was a mistake!

I would ask for a rescore, but study for a retake at the same time. It might be a mistake but just in case you were out of your element for that specific exam then it would be good to have that second score that will (hopefully) be closer to your average.

There was a guy who got a 9 a few weeks ago who had it rescored. Apparently, only 1/4 of his answers actually registered. I think you may be experiencing the same bug.

Reactions: 1 user
Got to be a mistake. It seems you could almost get a 12 by randomly guessing! Get it rescored. I also agree that if you retake it and score around 30 (like your average on practice tests), schools will weigh the newer score much more heavily.

Yeah i had a 22 on a practice test before completing any prereqs

I think you should get it rescored if the following holds true
1. you took your practice exams under timed, test-like conditions
2. your last practice exam under said conditions was the 26 or 29 and not the 20 you mentioned in your post
3. you felt comfortable with the material when you sat for the exam and don't have huge gaps in knowledge
4. you finished all or most of the exam sections

Not everyone's a great standardized exam taker so if you feel like you have gaps in knowledge and your practice exams were not under timed, test-like conditions I would advise you to absolutely NOT under any circumstances sit for this exam in January. You need more time to sort out what you did wrong and come up with a study strategy that will yield you a successful outcome the next time you sit for the test.

Getting it rescored definitely won't hurt, but don't rush a retake. If your score was truly a 12, then filling in the gaps and coming up with a strategy is a better approach.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah i had a 22 on a practice test before completing any prereqs
Ugh what that's crazy! There's no way I made such a low score. Like even when I came out I felt some sort of confidence. This is really making me upset. I'm defiantly not going to take the Jan MCAT and just study really really hard for the new changing one. I'm smart, most of my prerequisite classes I've made As. Ive made an A in both chem, A in bio, A in physics 2, even A in organic 2. Like ugh come on? My science GPA is a 3.75+.

Thanks for your support strangers! It means a lot.