Scored 63/120 on AAMC CARS Question Pack 1. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already mentioned in a previous thread that I am really having trouble with CARS, and I am taking my MCAT on the 10th of September. I recently just took the AAMC Question Pack 1 test over the course of three days (under timed conditions). I scored 63/120 (53%) on the question pack, and I have already been scoring low on TBR diagnostic passages (25/40 mostly) and on EK passages (25/40 mostly). My scores are fluctuating and plateauing in a low region.

Did anyone else have trouble with the question pack? I have not reviewed it yet, but I felt pretty confident throughout the whole thing, and was shocked to see my score. I was projecting a high 80 or a low 90. What should I do from here? I have the second question pack waiting...should I take it? I also start my first FL MCAT this Friday.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Consensus is that the first CARS Q Pack is hard. Since you said you are having trouble with CARS, my suggestion would be to see what types of questions you are missing, and the passage types. I don't know about you, but the first half of CARS Q Pack 1 was notoriously hard and it got easier along the way. Come test day, you will see passages very similar to the ones in the Q packs; a mix of easy and hard. I would try practicing reading for the author's tone and reading articles for extra help. If your test date is not coming up soon, I am sure you can fine tune your reading skills and answer strategies.