Scrambling Support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I know it's hard right now, but we can't stop the fight! :)

I thought I'd start a support page for us. I checked out this list and pickings look slim, but I'm kind of glad we don't have to cold call and rush with this. I'm in no position emotionally.

Good luck to all of us scrambling! Keep your heads up!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to be clear, the process this year is really not a traditional scramble anymore right? I should NOT be contacting the programs that I am interested in immediately (which would be per protocol last year) right? I should just submit all my apps first thing Monday 12 EST?

For places like pennsylvania, do you really need to have hospital hours besides rotations that you can transfer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, the process this year is really not a traditional scramble anymore right? I should NOT be contacting the programs that I am interested in immediately (which would be per protocol last year) right? I should just submit all my apps first thing Monday 12 EST?

That's my concern too. I believe we do as you said get everything together and submit Monday.

Good luck to all scrambling, don't give up. You have come way to far to stop now, fight for it.

This is my concern as well. Also, I've heard that there is no interviews for the post match process? Residency sites offer positions based on application?

For places like pennsylvania, do you really need to have hospital hours besides rotations that you can transfer?

Doesn't have to be hospital, but you need 750 intern hours that you have worked during school outside of rotations. They can be from retail as well.

I was quite surprised when I found out today that 3 programs in Philly are scrambling, as they're all fairly good programs.

If you ranked a place, didn't match, yet they still have slots open...should you try to scramble with them?

I am in the same position. I think you can't send them another app through phorcas. I think you have to contact them directly to reaffirm interest (via email or phone). Can anyone verify this?

Is there anyone who'd be willing to look up to see if my old program matched? I'm purely curious. I did a residency last year, but don't keep in touch d/t distance. Thanks!

@ pillpharmer and dysic- this is a summary of a re-post earlier on this forum. If you interviewed at a place and you ranked them, but the program still has unfilled positions it means the program didn't rank you. If they even ranked you last, at least you would have matched to them instead of the positions going unfilled. So ask yourself, why do you think they didn't rank you? Will re-applying make a difference? I mean, the program is pretty much saying that not matching at all would be better than matching to you. I know this is difficult to take in at this time, but I do not think this is a good idea under any circumstance. But then again, desperate times call for desperate measures. The programs might reconsider.

My 2 cents and I could be wrong.

Last edited:
How many scramble spots available this year?

Members don't see this ad :)

Quite a few in each state overall. I'd say a ball park of 30 sites didn't match, and then some sites stll need to fill several spots.

156 open spots in the PGY1 Pharmacy Practice for post match, another 30 for PGY1 community, the rest are managed care and 2 yr combined programs...total of 199 open spots for PGY1's.

I peaked at the scramble list from one of my students....there are A LOT of good programs on that list. Don't give up if you really want to do residency!

I peaked at the scramble list from one of my students....there are A LOT of good programs on that list. Don't give up if you really want to do residency!

Me too....I'm REALLY surprised about some of the institutions. I have a gut feeling a lot of them where underwhelmed with who they interviewed with, didn't rank many, and decided an outstanding scramble applicant would bubble up.

Also, for those considering applying to a place that rejected them...I would avoid doing so, it's a waste of time on both ends. The reason they didn't put you on their list still exists some how, nothing changes on their end.

Me too....I'm REALLY surprised about some of the institutions. I have a gut feeling a lot of them where underwhelmed with who they interviewed with, didn't rank many, and decided an outstanding scramble applicant would bubble up.

Also, for those considering applying to a place that rejected them...I would avoid doing so, it's a waste of time on both ends. The reason they didn't put you on their list still exists some how, nothing changes on their end.

Thanks for this input. I've changed my mind about this...

On another note, in the past years....did the scramble process involve onsite interviews?

Thanks for this input. I've changed my mind about this...

On another note, in the past years....did the scramble process involve onsite interviews?

No, but results used to be posted on a Wed and most programs filled their spots by Thur/Fri.

My guess is that an onsite won't be required because of the logistics of having a candidate come out on short notice.

I'm trying to stay hopeful. I've been back and forth. One moment I feel okay. Not happy, but not sad and the next I've been crying like a baby. It's been an emotional roller coaster to say the least. I'm not giving up hope just yet though.

I'm trying to stay hopeful. I've been back and forth. One moment I feel okay. Not happy, but not sad and the next I've been crying like a baby. It's been an emotional roller coaster to say the least. I'm not giving up hope just yet though.
goldfish it's ok bud. It's really not the end of the world.

I didn't match, but some great advice i've gotten is basically keep head up, keep trying. If not this scramble, maybe match next time. It'll workout.

basically stop crying :p

goldfish it's ok bud. It's really not the end of the world.

I didn't match, but some great advice i've gotten is basically keep head up, keep trying. If not this scramble, maybe match next time. It'll workout.

basically stop crying :p

I think I'm allowed to be sad for at least one day. :p

I think I'm allowed to be sad for at least one day. :p

It's okay to be sad! I felt awful at this time last year. The scramble didn't help me feel any better either (sounds like it might be better this year with Phorcas though). Good luck with everything!

It's okay to be sad! I felt awful at this time last year. The scramble didn't help me feel any better either (sounds like it might be better this year with Phorcas though). Good luck with everything!

Thank you! I'm trying to keep my head up and also help my friends through it too. I'm trying to dive into this scramble process now and get everything together. :)

How many programs is everyone going to apply to? I think I'm going to do around 20, but I'm not sure yet.

Was anyone able to find out what's going on with references? I found this fact sheet from PHORCAS. It mentions they can edit and add comments or reuse their old letters, but I'm not sure if they HAVE to resubmit at least their old reference letter.

It's hard trying to get all this stuff taken care of on a weekend.

How many programs is everyone going to apply to? I think I'm going to do around 20, but I'm not sure yet.

Was anyone able to find out what's going on with references? I found this fact sheet from PHORCAS. It mentions they can edit and add comments or reuse their old letters, but I'm not sure if they HAVE to resubmit at least their old reference letter.

Is this the game everyone's playing?

Applying to that many places...

You're going to apply to 20 in the scramble?? Wow.... that's dedication. Good luck!! I'm applying to 7.

Is this the game everyone's playing?

Applying to that many places...

I don't know. I'm not even sure I want to do that many. I thought with the scramble you're supposed to contact as many as you can? This is all new for me, give me a break. :p

Last edited:
Just some info I came across - Although we can't apply until Monday, programs are already looking at the list of candidates that didn't match and previewing who they will do phone interviews with. If a candidate applied to them before, they are actually on the top of their list because they would rather get someone who wanted to go there than just someone desperate for a residency.

I am applying to about 10 but I had a question about one of them if anyone has info - anybody hear good things about UCLA's program?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know. I'm not even sure I want to do that many. I thought with the scramble you're supposed to contact as many as you can? This is all new for me, give me a break. :p
Apply for 20 Goldfish! (As long as you have the money lol). You won't be the only one ;) Seems like you really want a residency and it's your choice to how many you apply too. You don't want to have any regrets so do what YOU feel is best.

You really helped me out in the PhORCAS thread with uploading things back in late December. I hope you end up getting a spot and if you don't apply again next year! I did with average stats :p. The time also goes by quick by the time your licensed it will only be a few months before you need to start getting ready for midyear and looking at programs. I'll be wishing you the best in this process :)

Apply for 20 Goldfish! (As long as you have the money lol). You won't be the only one ;) Seems like you really want a residency and it's your choice to how many you apply too. You don't want to have any regrets so do what YOU feel is best.

You really helped me out in the PhORCAS thread with uploading things back in late December. I hope you end up getting a spot and if you don't apply again next year! I did with average stats :p. The time also goes by quick by the time your licensed it will only be a few months before you need to start getting ready for midyear and looking at programs. I'll be wishing you the best in this process :)

Thank you so much for this comment. I really appreciate it and it means a lot. Although this year was extremely competitive, I'm always glad to help people as much as I possibly can with any information I can provide and I'm happy it was useful to you.

I really do want a residency and there are a lot of good programs that fit my needs that have spots open, so I'm trying to do as much as possible and give it my best effort. That way I know I put in 100% and won't regret any of my actions.

The pain has subsided now, and I'm ready to tackle this. I'm very fortunate with how things have turned out for me with or without the match.

Congratulations to you and everyone else that mach! I'm really happy for everyone! :D:D

I noticed that one program to which I would like to scramble has unfilled positions listed in natmatch, but not in PhORCAS. I wonder if they already filled their positions on Friday.

I noticed that one program to which I would like to scramble has unfilled positions listed in natmatch, but not in PhORCAS. I wonder if they already filled their positions on Friday.

Some programs have extra funding post submission of rankings and opened up those new spots for scrambling. That happened to one of my program but they will be looking at the people who interviewed with them first that didnt match before they open it up to PhORCAS

Does anyone know the states that require paid intern hours for pharmacist license?

Does it make sense to even apply to programs you did not choose before the match? Do you think you will be taken seriously? Is it a waste of time and money or is there hope? I need some insight before I go through this disappointment again.

Does it make sense to even apply to programs you did not choose before the match? Do you think you will be taken seriously? Is it a waste of time and money or is there hope? I need some insight before I go through this disappointment again.

That is what I was thinking initially. But if a program you initially applied didnt even call you for interview, how would you meet their criteria now. But again, you don't have to pay to apply there post match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

If it was a program you interviewed at and didn't rank than I wouldn't reapply. You already had your shot and obviously thought no residency was better than them.

If you mean completely new programs, then yes. Everyone I know who scrambled in the past did it to entirely new programs. Either in geographic areas they hadn't considered, etc. You can't apply to every single program in the first round so....

Does anyone know the states that require paid intern hours for pharmacist license?

California and PA as mentioned. I made a list, I'll try to post more info when I get to my computer.

California and PA as mentioned. I made a list, I'll try to post more info when I get to my computer.

That's not true. California you can do volunteer, at least for californians, half of our class did our intern hours volunteered, you just need to have the paperwork signed by PIC ( same paperwork that paid interns sign).

I think I am going to apply to 3 places. One of three places had me waitlisted for interview but spot never opened, should I try to email them and remind them about it ?

So is anyone revamping their app ? Should I do anything at all to make it all appealing? I pretty much know why I been rejected - poor GPA and I don't make it past initial screening round.

Are you guys basically re-submitting your app as is ?

So has everyone been good and cordial / professional or have people actually been emailing outside of scramble process personal emails to residency directors ?

I know some of my classmates are doing it, but my bf said it could be perceived as pushy and unprofessional/desperate.

So has everyone been good and cordial / professional or have people actually been emailing outside of scramble process personal emails to residency directors ?

I know some of my classmates are doing it, but my bf said it could be perceived as pushy and unprofessional/desperate.

I have not emailed anyone yet (other than the ones I already applied before). I did not want to break match rules.

But, I am loosing hope here, I emailed one resident (regarding their rotations) from a program I was going to apply to. He got back to me that their positions are filled (even though its still listed in phorcas). I dont know anymore if not breaking rules was the wise way to go. :(

Wouldn't it be in the program's best interest to wait until 4/1/13 and get a good look at all the interested scramble applicants?

Why would the programs be in such a rush to fill the positions?

She/he should post which program so we can report for breaking the rules. :mad: God, I feel like a ***** for "doing things the way they are supposed to be done".

And to think my bf ( an attending at a top university) gave me an entire moral grounds shpeel yesterday about how people tried to pull this shiz for medical residencies and how pathetic and desperate it looked, always negatively impacted the applicants. I knew I should have been an *******, rather than behaving cordially and obeying the rules.