Scrambling Support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think we should all take a breather and hope for best. world isn't ending guys, remember there are 1500 people who didn't match...

Members don't see this ad.

i think we should all take a breather and hope for best. world isn't ending guys, remember there are 1500 people who didn't match...

I emphathize for them but have no sympathy for pigs that flaunt their getting ahead of me by violating rules we have followed.

Officially, my program is instructing applicants to apply Monday (we got some "jump the gun" emails on Friday AM).

Unofficially, we are doing some back channel maneuvering and unofficial discussion of "internal" candidates (I use this term loosely, can even refer to students being referred to us by current residents) so that we are prepared on Monday.

We have some favorites, we have some not-so-favorites, but in the spirit of the match process everyone goes through the same ringer.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not true. California you can do volunteer, at least for californians, half of our class did our intern hours volunteered, you just need to have the paperwork signed by PIC ( same paperwork that paid interns sign).

Sorry, I didn't mean paid hours but just hours that aren't gained through rotations. In my state, you don't have to do any extra hours.

I've been following the rules. I've only emailed programs that I applied for originally since we don't have to apply again. We just have to ask them if it's okay for them to take a look at us again. I went ahead and emailed so they could have the email Monday.

Officially, my program is instructing applicants to apply Monday (we got some "jump the gun" emails on Friday AM).

Unofficially, we are doing some back channel maneuvering and unofficial discussion of "internal" candidates (I use this term loosely, can even refer to students being referred to us by current residents) so that we are prepared on Monday.

We have some favorites, we have some not-so-favorites, but in the spirit of the match process everyone goes through the same ringer.

What is your program's plan for the scramble? Phone interview? On-site interview? When will offers be made?

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't mean paid hours but just hours that aren't gained through rotations. In my state, you don't have to do any extra hours.

I've been following the rules. I've only emailed programs that I applied for originally since we don't have to apply again. We just have to ask them if it's okay for them to take a look at us again. I went ahead and emailed so they could have the email Monday.

Wait, can someone clarify this ? You don't have to apply to programs you have previously applied before ?

Wait, can someone clarify this ? You don't have to apply to programs you have previously applied before ?

You can't submit another phorcas application but you can contact the program directly if you would like.
" If an applicant sees a program they originally applied to that still has available positions,
they can contact the site, to see if they will be eligible post match. There is no need to apply
again, as the program already has all of their information. There will be no additional fee
and no application sent to the program"

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone - PhorCAS submission opened a little early. I went ahead and submitted mine - thought I would let everyone know in the spirit of fairness :)

Good Luck!!!

Hey everyone - PhorCAS submission opened a little early. I went ahead and submitted mine - thought I would let everyone know in the spirit of fairness :)

Good Luck!!!
Once its been paid for, that means its been submitted right?

There is one program I interviewed at but didn't match. As I said in a previous post, they still have slots open. I've heard both sides on whether or not to scramble with them. I really liked the program and I feel if at least I didn't try again, I'd beat myself up about it.

I've flipped flop back and forth on whether or not I should even try to the scramble but that's the only program I like in my state so I'm going to go ahead and reapply.

For y'all who are reapplying, did you use your old reference letters? I did update my CV with things that I've done while waiting for match results but not sure if I should get new LOR.

Phorcas still says i have no access....

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys were able to use your old letters without references doing anything to them?

I'm trying to update the original application I put in for my program. I got my new CV and LOI uploaded. Gonna just use my old recommendation letters. It's not letting me submit them.

I'm about to submit my first application. I'll let you know how it goes on my end!

i'm pretty sure sites will be doing a little bit of this and at the same time just sort of weeding people out easily using phorcas.

So, sort by gpa, then by x then by x, then call x and x, then choose x.

They'd be wasting time just waiting for calls/emails.

I've submitted 7 applications so far. This is tiring.

I wonder if I reviewed your app?

How are you planning to handle the scramble process?

Telephone interview? On-site interview? Or will you just be making offers based on the application?

I wonder if I reviewed your app?

Did your program not match all it's spots? That would be funny I guess if you have (well, only if you didn't discard my application). :)

Last edited:
How are you planning to handle the scramble process?

Telephone interview? On-site interview? Or will you just be making offers based on the application?
it'll most likely be a 30-1hr phone interview. no way just application.

Dear Scramblers:

DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK

I have this giant pile of desperate applications coming in and I'm looking at them and shake my head...

1) Spell the name of the program correctly
--> Addendum: make sure that correct name carries throughout the letter, not just the first paragraph. Don't write something like "Dear Geisinger Health System....I love your program because I talked to Kaiser residents at Midyear."

2) Send the right LOI/file to the right program

3) Get the credentials of the DOP correct

4) Stop talking about how great my ________ unit is when I don't even have such a unit at my hospital.

....:boom:

.... OMG..i feel bad i am still waiting on some of my references...

Dear Scramblers:

DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK

I have this giant pile of desperate applications coming in and I'm looking at them and shake my head...

--> Addendum: make sure that correct name carries throughout the letter, not just the first paragraph. Don't write something like "Dear Geisinger Health System....I love your program because I talked to Kaiser residents at Midyear."

4) Stop talking about how great my ________ unit is when I don't even have such a unit at my hospital.

This is solid advice (that no one should need). But honestly I'm just thrilled you are, in fact, looking through the giant pile of applications trickling in and even reading the letters. This gives me hope after seeing what is going on with some programs in that other terrifying Scramble thread. I spent my weekend reading about each program I thought I might like and choosing only the ones that made me feel excited to apply there (like I did during the original process), and wrote out thoughtful letters. I can only hope that one or two of these programs actually give my letters a look. Oh, please please.

Last edited:
Curious to know how many applications approximately constitutes a "giant pile"....Like how many applications does a program typically receive in the scramble process?

How are you guys doing? Any bites yets? I've sent out about 7 applications and emailed a couple of programs not in PhorCAS. I haven't heard a peep yet.

So far no word yet. Has anyone heard any updates on Oregon? Per my email to the director:

"If you are a Prospective Post-Match Scramble Applicant for the PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency, I will be updating NMS and PhORCAS on Monday (3/25) to address whether we are able to accept applications or not. If we do accept applications, it will be through PhORCAS and it will require the same components as the original applications"

The position is still posted, however isn't in PhorCas yet. Any ideas?

i've heard something, but I declined it (rather not discuss it). Otherwise nothing yet, applied to 10 programs

So far no word yet. Has anyone heard any updates on Oregon? Per my email to the director:

"If you are a Prospective Post-Match Scramble Applicant for the PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency, I will be updating NMS and PhORCAS on Monday (3/25) to address whether we are able to accept applications or not. If we do accept applications, it will be through PhORCAS and it will require the same components as the original applications"

The position is still posted, however isn't in PhorCas yet. Any ideas?

I got the same thing, so I have no idea? :(

i've heard something, but I declined it (rather not discuss it). Otherwise nothing yet, applied to 10 programs

Inquiring minds (and nosy people) want to know. But we shall respect you, for now. :laugh:

FYI:
Scottsdale Healthcare and Providence, Walla Walla WA are now full.
(I got a rejection from one and a friend had a canceled interview by the other)

FYI:
Scottsdale Healthcare and Providence, Walla Walla WA are now full.
(I got a rejection from one and a friend had a canceled interview by the other)

Wasted my $25 then!

I feel kind of annoyed with this scramble process. For the majority of us, this is our first time scrambling and we're going by what was told to us. Submit your applications Monday and then the programs should hold off until April 1st. However, programs aren't following this and giving out spots, and people are doing it the old fashion way.

I don't know what route to follow, and it's just frustrating. It makes it 100x worse that I'm spending $25 an application that I really don't have the money for just to hear that "oh, the spot got filled early".

Wasted my $25 then!

I feel kind of annoyed with this scramble process. For the majority of us, this is our first time scrambling and we're going by what was told to us. Submit your applications Monday and then the programs should hold off until April 1st. However, programs aren't following this and giving out spots, and people are doing it the old fashion way.

I don't know what route to follow, and it's just frustrating. It makes it 100x worse that I'm spending $25 an application that I really don't have the money for just to hear that "oh, the spot got filled early".

I did not apply to either of those places but it's still upsetting to hear programs are breaking the rules and not honoring the process. A few of the programs I've applied to have mentioned they are taking this week/part of this week to review applications. So unless they're lying to me, you can feel encouraged that not all programs are approaching it "the old-fashioned way."

I have received one interview from a program who even wanted to ensure before officially extending the interview to me that I had not already accepted a position, because "Even though we signed an agreement to wait to make offers until April 1st, that does not necessarily preclude the possibility that some programs have already made offers."

Attachments

• mc-random-207.jpg
    mc-random-207.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 41
+1

Regardless of what happens in the scramble process, definitely glad I tried. This was nice

Same. I can say I gave it everything that I had. If I don't match, life will go on (with a better paycheck too). :D

Wasted my $25 then!

I'm sorry that your year turned out to be the guinea pig year. Any time a new process is imposed on an long standing system, it gonna have some major teething issues. My encouragement to you is that if you want a clinical role and is an new grad, try again next year. The chances of matching is good 60+% and the teething issue should abate overtime.

As an small hospital DOP, when I have an attrition or opening next, I will be looking for a residency trained or experienced hospital pharmacist. I believe this is be the trend, so news grads will eventually have to look to residency as their way in the unless they have had internships with the institution.

Dear Scramblers:

DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK

you work at Geisinger ?

tell us about it.

I'm sorry that your year turned out to be the guinea pig year. Any time a new process is imposed on an long standing system, it gonna have some major teething issues. My encouragement to you is that if you want a clinical role and is an new grad, try again next year. The chances of matching is good 60+% and the teething issue should abate overtime.

As an small hospital DOP, when I have an attrition or opening next, I will be looking for a residency trained or experienced hospital pharmacist. I believe this is be the trend, so news grads will eventually have to look to residency as their way in the unless they have had internships with the institution.

Yeah, it's rough. I guess it would be easier if everyone stuck to what has been laid out, but I guess like anything else, people are going to do what they want. I will definitely being trying again next year, hopefully it's a smoother ride.

Any respectable program will follow the rules.

Did your program not match all it's spots? That would be funny I guess if you have (well, only if you didn't discard my application). :)

No we matched - just wondering in general if I came across any of SDN apps through the process.

Any respectable program will follow the rules.

Human nature is to bend or loosely interpret the rules when it suits them, especially earlier on when the teething/chaos is expected and enforcement lieniant. We don't have an residency program here, but I felt sorry for this year's scramble applicants. Some will have justice, but others will not. Take for what you will, fact of life or what not. But as someone who hopes to see meritocracy prevails, this year will be disappointing. I just hope the adjustment period would be a short one.

Curious to know how many applications approximately constitutes a "giant pile"....Like how many applications does a program typically receive in the scramble process?

A few years ago we received ~200 inquiries for my site's one scramble position.

Just wondering.... has anyone heard back yet from any of the places they scrambled yet?? I know it's only Tuesday.... but still just curious.