Scrambling Support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any respectable program will follow the rules.

Just reread the RPD letter from phorcas, they are suggestions and not rules.

(either way we're abiding by them in the spirit of the match)

Members don't see this ad.

Done with applications. I applied to 15 new programs, emailed 1 program I applied to before, and waiting to hear back from two that have openings but aren't on PhorCAS. I gave it my all, and I'm absolutely worn out by this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
you work at Geisinger ?

tell us about it.

I don't work at Geisinger, but I've heard very good things about the pharmacy practice model at that hospital. Only problem is that it's in the middle of nowhere.

I don't work at Geisinger, but I've heard very good things about the pharmacy practice model at that hospital. Only problem is that it's in the middle of nowhere.

This. QFT.

I was surprised to see it on the scramble list....but I know nothing of the story, my only conjecture is they weren't happy w/ who they interviewed with and figured they'd fare better in the scramble. Pure conjecture, though.

This. QFT.

I was surprised to see it on the scramble list....but I know nothing of the story, my only conjecture is they weren't happy w/ who they interviewed with and figured they'd fare better in the scramble. Pure conjecture, though.

Its not uncommon to see a "big name" program in the scramble. A few years back I remember seeing UIC, arguably one of the most competitive programs in the nation, on the scramble list.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There's been a few places that had their spots filled (confirmed by preceptors that have contacted these places), so places are definitely offering spots before April 1st.

There's been a few places that had their spots filled (confirmed by preceptors that have contacted these places), so places are definitely offering spots before April 1st.

Are they still on Phorcas? If so, I'd consider stopping payment on a hefty credit card transaction.

Are they still on Phorcas? If so, I'd consider stopping payment on a hefty credit card transaction.

They closed it. I didn't apply there, but my friend did and was told that the spot was filled already.

Okay, so lots of places are closing their applications. I think a lot of programs have enough applications and are closing and will decide who to interview or have already filled their spots.

Okay, so lots of places are closing their applications. I think a lot of programs have enough applications and are closing and will decide who to interview or have already filled their spots.

yeah I got an email from a program today saying the same thing. I'm curious as to how many applicants they actually received. If it's anything like what was mentioned previous 100-200, I wonder if they will just sort through GPA or actually look through each one.

yeah I got an email from a program today saying the same thing. I'm curious as to how many applicants they actually received. If it's anything like what was mentioned previous 100-200, I wonder if they will just sort through GPA or actually look through each one.

I think it'll be too time consuming to scrutinize every single application (if they're getting a lot). I could be wrong. I'm thinking they'll probably do like they did during the interview season- filter gpa, etc.

Hey all don't loose hope. I have been fortunate to have 2 interviews so far (one of them I went onsite) and another I had a videoconference on google today. I wll just keep faith and see what happens.

Hey all don't loose hope. I have been fortunate to have 2 interviews so far (one of them I went onsite) and another I had a videoconference on google today. I wll just keep faith and see what happens.

Good luck! I hope your interviews result in some good news! :)

I think it is a good move for both the program and applicants to close the portol. This way you aren't wasting your time applying for a program who may have already decided who they want to offer a position to.

Also wanted to add, if you are just sending in apps now, it probably isn't worth the effort at this point.

They might as well have had PhORCAS open as soon as the scramble list came out IMO. Not being able to apply until Monday but applicants could contact programs as soon as scramble list went out just seemed to complicate things.

The programs and applicants seem to want to fill spots and get interviews as quickly as possible so why not let applications come in as soon as the scramble list went out instead of waiting until Monday.

I know the argument can be made some might not have Friday off to get their application in if they don't match but in all honestly people were getting interview offers on Friday so why not let it be clear, known, and open to just have applications open as soon as possible after the scramble list came out.

I think it is a good move for both the program and applicants to close the portol. This way you aren't wasting your time applying for a program who may have already decided who they want to offer a position to.

Also wanted to add, if you are just sending in apps now, it probably isn't worth the effort at this point.

I agree. I'm sure a lot of programs have a stack of applications to go through and today is a little late in the game to try to get in apps anyways. Saves some money at least.

I just wanted to say thank you for creating this thread, since its been very helpful to me throughout the scramble. We aren't alone in this and it is definitely not the end of the world!

By the way - zero interviews as of now. Keeping my fingers crossed and trying to stay optimistic.

I just wanted to say thank you for creating this thread, since its been very helpful to me throughout the scramble. We aren't alone in this and it is definitely not the end of the world!

By the way - zero interviews as of now. Keeping my fingers crossed and trying to stay optimistic.

No problem! It's nice to have a place for people that are all going through the same thing to get together and share information. I wish you luck! :)

really hope I haven't wasted all of this money on scramble applications

Me too. I applied to 20 sites and have only heard back from 2 so far. 1 phone interview, and 1 wanted me to do some supplemental stuff.

Would anyone be okay positing if they have been offered a position and at which facility so those of us who haven't heard aren't constantly checking our emails for the hope of an interview?

Me too. I applied to 20 sites and have only heard back from 2 so far. 1 phone interview, and 1 wanted me to do some supplemental stuff.

Me too. I have only heard back from 1 program saying they will be in touch, though I don't have much hope.

I applied to eleven. Had one phone and on site with the same place. An alternate for a phone interview somewhere else. Heard nothing from the other nine programs.

UC Davis AmCare and Memorial in CO springs are now full as well
Unfortunately, neither filled by me :(

Last edited:
I don't know what's going on. I feel like this new process is gonna screw a lot of people over (opportunities and money) and everyone would have been better off doing it the way programs have in previous years. Oh well, PhorCAS got their money, so that's all they care about though right...

Yeah this process is not what I expected at all. I've had some places email me to let me know they'll start reviewing applications in "a few weeks" while at least 4 institutions have filled positions before they were recommended to.

I'm trying to look on the bright side of things- I looked at my student loans and after nearly having a panic attack I realized going strait into working might be beneficial for my financial life!

Yeah this process is not what I expected at all. I've had some places email me to let me know they'll start reviewing applications in "a few weeks" while at least 4 institutions have filled positions before they were recommended to.

I'm trying to look on the bright side of things- I looked at my student loans and after nearly having a panic attack I realized going strait into working might be beneficial for my financial life!

Yeah, having money is nice :p

It's hard. I try to tell my friends and family about it and how heartbroken I am and everyone just keeps saying be thankful you have a job or look at how much money you'll be making. I understand that both points are true, but I didn't care about the money. If that was the case, I wouldn't have spent that much time and energy into this for so long.

I will get through this but at the moment I'm still just upset about the whole thing.

I feel the same way. For two years in a row, I have not matched. Unsure where to go from this point. FYI the spot at the university of Utah has been filled.

Yeah, having money is nice :p

It's hard. I try to tell my friends and family about it and how heartbroken I am and everyone just keeps saying be thankful you have a job or look at how much money you'll be making. I understand that both points are true, but I didn't care about the money. If that was the case, I wouldn't have spent that much time and energy into this for so long.

I will get through this but at the moment I'm still just upset about the whole thing.

I think the hard part is how much we work and prepare for this stuff only to get let down. I was crushed in Sept when I found out I wasn't being offered a job at the company I've been interning at for the past 3 years. I mean I knew the job market was tight and all but I thought I had a decent shot. In the end it all worked out but it sucks to put so much time and effort into something and then end up with a scenario you didn't want.

You sound like a great candidate and if the scramble doesn't go your way I'm sure you'll find something great to do.

I also got an email from the Cleveland Clinic with the PEDS focus saying they are closed for there applications due to a large number of candidates to consider. At least they emailed me letting me know, and I appreciate that.

I feel the same way. For two years in a row, I have not matched. Unsure where to go from this point. FYI the spot at the university of Utah has been filled.

Sorry to hear that this is your second year of not obtaining a spot. If I don't get a spot this year, I honestly don't think I'll apply again next year. I thought I would, but I think I'm just going to move on.

I think the hard part is how much we work and prepare for this stuff only to get let down. I was crushed in Sept when I found out I wasn't being offered a job at the company I've been interning at for the past 3 years. I mean I knew the job market was tight and all but I thought I had a decent shot. In the end it all worked out but it sucks to put so much time and effort into something and then end up with a scenario you didn't want.

You sound like a great candidate and if the scramble doesn't go your way I'm sure you'll find something great to do.

Thank you, and I hope so. :)

I also got an email from the Cleveland Clinic with the PEDS focus saying they are closed for there applications due to a large number of candidates to consider. At least they emailed me letting me know, and I appreciate that.

I think a lot of programs are doing this, which I think is good. Maybe we'll start to hear stuff next week.

St. Luke's Roosevelt is currently interviewing people. I am on the alternate list.

Sorry to hear that this is your second year of not obtaining a spot. If I don't get a spot this year, I honestly don't think I'll apply again next year. I thought I would, but I think I'm just going to move on.

Thank you, and I hope so. :)

I would not rush to make any decisions about applying next year at this emotionally filled stressful time. Wait a few months and see what opportunities are available.

I think a lot of programs are doing this, which I think is good. Maybe we'll start to hear stuff next week.

Yes I'm still not giving up as I am awaiting to hear something from all the places I appled too. My strategy s too hopefully let them contact me, whether t's just to say we are filled or not giving anymore invites, I just rather know. Anyone just emailing programs to see what's up? I don't want to sound pushy...

Yes I'm still not giving up as I am awaiting to hear something from all the places I appled too. My strategy s too hopefully let them contact me, whether t's just to say we are filled or not giving anymore invites, I just rather know. Anyone just emailing programs to see what's up? I don't want to sound pushy...

I have not emailed anyone. I would give them at least two weeks.

I'm glad that some of us are at least getting interviews. I can't imagine how much phorcas made off these scramble applications.

On a side note, what type of jobs are you guys planning on pursuing if you don't find a residency in the scramble? Retail, hospital, non-accredit PGY1, other degrees, etc?

I'm glad that some of us are at least getting interviews. I can't imagine how much phorcas made off these scramble applications.

On a side note, what type of jobs are you guys planning on pursuing if you don't find a residency in the scramble? Retail, hospital, non-accredit PGY1, other degrees, etc?

I landed a retail job. I contacted them to get the ball rolling on starting soon. After next week, I'm going to contact some hospitals and try to get a staff position. There's an opening at one place I recently rotated and my preceptor was rooting for me to get a job there, so maybe I can make it work.