screening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental_i

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
about the screening process, is "average" stats of last year's enrollees pretty much good enough for an interview? I understand that admission is based on on applicant overall qualifications, but is interview invites just a number game?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools operate on a "rolling" admissions process. Depending on your profile, you're application is placed in a certain pile for review. As students are accepted, applications roll over into review. I came to find out that I was in the second tier at UCSF, just missing the (accept even if a crack-head) tier. Schools generally accept the upper tier applicants and work their way down. So, a good gpa and DAT score will get you looked at first. The admissions office will look at many things, but to be safe, try to fall in or above the previous years stats range. Keep in mind, scores are going up, so shoot high. Good luck!

------------------
Your talent is God's gift to you.
What you do with it is your gift back to God.
--Leo Buscaglia

smiledoc - thanks for the reply. and congrats on admission to UCSF. being an undergrad in the joint program of bioengineering between UCSF and UC Berkeley, I can tell you that as far as research is concerned, you are at one of the greatest research institutions in the nation (I happened to do summer research at UCSF). I hope you will take advantage of that. Besides, the bay area is the BOMB, although living is rather expensive. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding the area. I just have couple more questions, regarding UCSF in particular. What kind of criteria puts one in the "accept even crackhead" pile? Also, since you were in the second tier, when was your interview scheduled and when did you receive your acceptance letter? What was your interview like? And lastly, what advice do you have for someone to prepare for interviews?