Scribe or Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RamRod41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying my best to decide between becoming a traditional ER scribe and working as a technician at a highly specialized ophthalmology practice (preparing patients for injections, taking their history, etc) during my gap year. Besides your standard ER volunteering and shadowing I do not have any clinical experience as actual work.

I'm currently applying to a ton of medical schools and hopefully will hear back from places this fall. I've read a lot about how fantastic scribing is (only downside is perhaps the pay). The tech job pays about 13/hr.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about getting great experience/learning a lot and not worried about the pay. But of course, I want to make sure during potential interviews that I doing something worthwhile (both seem to accomplish that goal)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I love scribing! And have learned a ton...but working as a tech might be more "hands on"

Clinical experience = close enough to "smell" your patients. Go for tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd do scribe. You're literally embedded with an EM physician therefore you get to see all types of ailments.

The tech job sounds more fun to me. And I'm guessing it has better hours?

The hours for the tech job are pretty brutal, likely 10 hrs/day, as it's a very busy clinic. But I've heard those are often the same for scribes, and I'll likely have to do night shifts for scribing as well. The tech job definitely sounds more "hands on," but the ER job sounds much more exciting.

That's the nice part about scribing is that the long shifts mean some time off. I definitely want to learn as much as possible for either way.

The hours for the tech job are pretty brutal, likely 10 hrs/day, as it's a very busy clinic. But I've heard those are often the same for scribes, and I'll likely have to do night shifts for scribing as well. The tech job definitely sounds more "hands on," but the ER job sounds much more exciting.

Go for what you are interested in and saying one "is a much more exciting" is a pretty tell tale sign on which job you find more interesting.

I used to scribe and it is one of the best experiences for a premed for sure. But the tech job seems cool too, since you can actually take histories and interact with patients. As a scribe I wasn't allowed to talk to patients unless I was interpreting (Spanish). I would do both part time if I were you

One experience is watching, talking to people, and typing.

One experience is watching, talking to people, and physically interacting with patients.

Both have great benefits, but you tell me which you think will actually give you preparation for the future?

And seriously guys, if you're gonna be a doctor - get used to 10+ hour days. If anything, you should consider it training for the lengthy hours you will have.

I work 12 hour shifts, they're great. You start to feel at home in the hospital

I've given up on scribing. Never get a chance to interview since slots are filled up. UGHH. any other recommendations?

Scribing is 100% variable on the company you work for, and the location you work in (obviously)

If you work in a emergency as a scribe your going to get to see a much high volume of patients and be a bit more hands on (depending on the doctor/staff you work with) than say a PCP with a low patient volume or one that simple goes into the rooms on their own and comes out and dictates to you afterwards as you sit on a computer all day long.

ED tech is certainly more hands on in the literal sense, but you can make a strong case for scribe being clinical, and I feel one should. Personally I "smell" every single patient we see daily (usually ~20-25 in a 8 hour shift)...and trust me, some smells you wish you had never smelt. :p

Reactions: 1 user
One experience is watching, talking to people, physically interacting with patients, observing procedures, learning anatomy from a physician, learning medical terminology, familiarizing with medical decision making, observing numerous physician practice styles, and understanding some of the logistics of being a physician.

One experience is watching, talking to people, taking vitals, transporting patients, splinting, CPR, moving gurneys, cleaning/organizing, and taking EKGs.

Both have great benefits, but you tell me which you think will actually give you preparation for the future?

FTFY. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to scribe and it is one of the best experiences for a premed for sure. But the tech job seems cool too, since you can actually take histories and interact with patients. As a scribe I wasn't allowed to talk to patients unless I was interpreting (Spanish). I would do both part time if I were you

I wish I could do both part time. I want to interact with patients but I feel like it being in the ER following the doctor is an amazing second place to that. Would love to hear more about scribing from people (even though I know it's on a gagillion threads).

I wish I could do both part time. I want to interact with patients but I feel like it being in the ER following the doctor is an amazing second place to that. Would love to hear more about scribing from people (even though I know it's on a gagillion threads).

PM me if you have questions...currently sitting in the ER as I type :) @RamRod41

Sorry for making this conversation go in circles, but I love my job as a tech at a state psychiatric hospital. I actually feel like I make a difference in people's lives and the course of their treatment.

I am a scribe currently and have been so for about 10 months. What the experience is like depends on the company you work under, the hospital, the physician you are with during the day, etc. I can personally say that being a scribe really challenged and confirmed my desire to be a physician. At my job, I have put in requests to work only with 2 physicians that I like since I feel like they are actively trying to get me experience rather than just have someone type their notes which I believe has really improved my time as a scribe. Some physicians introduce me as "the scribe" (no name or information other than that) while the two that I work with most of the time introduce me as their colleague.
As I mentioned, your experience is heavily dependent on a lot of variables. I have friends whose scribe job is just sitting and typing dictations of the history of present illness and physicals for charts with no patient contact. I personally have gotten a lot of patient contact though. I am never more than a few feet away from the physician. I am at the bedside collecting histories, taking physicals, watching during procedures ranging from lac repairs to pericardiocentesis, as well as observing full codes/traumas. I update the physician if labs are abnormal or radiology reports are anything other than no acute disease. I have gotten a lot of training interpreting and reading various radiology reports, EKGs, and other parts of the processes. Overall, I think how educational the experience is depends on both the factors mentioned above as well as the level of enthusiasm you bring to the job. Many of the other scribes in my department just sit on their phones if not immediately typing a chart up. The doctors notice this and don't really offer to engage them as they do with me and a few others that are most interested and that ask questions occasionally (a fun lesson I often get is being told to try and find the fracture, PE, hemorrhagic bleed, etc on the x-ray/CT).
I find that the experience has been really enlightening and given me a lot of practical knowledge that I can hopefully pull from once I start medical school. As you are aware, the pay is pretty substandard for people with our level of education since you are easily replaced. Also, if you take the job be prepared for the nurses to be pretty rude to you.

I am a scribe currently and have been so for about 10 months. What the experience is like depends on the company you work under, the hospital, the physician you are with during the day, etc. I can personally say that being a scribe really challenged and confirmed my desire to be a physician. At my job, I have put in requests to work only with 2 physicians that I like since I feel like they are actively trying to get me experience rather than just have someone type their notes which I believe has really improved my time as a scribe. Some physicians introduce me as "the scribe" (no name or information other than that) while the two that I work with most of the time introduce me as their colleague.
As I mentioned, your experience is heavily dependent on a lot of variables. I have friends whose scribe job is just sitting and typing dictations of the history of present illness and physicals for charts with no patient contact. I personally have gotten a lot of patient contact though. I am never more than a few feet away from the physician. I am at the bedside collecting histories, taking physicals, watching during procedures ranging from lac repairs to pericardiocentesis, as well as observing full codes/traumas. I update the physician if labs are abnormal or radiology reports are anything other than no acute disease. I have gotten a lot of training interpreting and reading various radiology reports, EKGs, and other parts of the processes. Overall, I think how educational the experience is depends on both the factors mentioned above as well as the level of enthusiasm you bring to the job. Many of the other scribes in my department just sit on their phones if not immediately typing a chart up. The doctors notice this and don't really offer to engage them as they do with me and a few others that are most interested and that ask questions occasionally (a fun lesson I often get is being told to try and find the fracture, PE, hemorrhagic bleed, etc on the x-ray/CT).
I find that the experience has been really enlightening and given me a lot of practical knowledge that I can hopefully pull from once I start medical school. As you are aware, the pay is pretty substandard for people with our level of education since you are easily replaced. Also, if you take the job be prepared for the nurses to be pretty rude to you.

Thank you so so very much for that insightful info. It definitely seems like if you take an active role in trying to learn while being respectful, one can really learn a lot. Sadly that's my fear, such that it's super dependent on the hospital/physician one works with. Some of those experiences sound super fun, definitely appears more exciting than the tech job I described, despite the fact that I might actually come into more contact with patients directly.

10 months is quite a solid amount of time scribing. To know that it's still exciting at this point is really great to hear. Happy to know you're enjoying your experience

Thank you so so very much for that insightful info. It definitely seems like if you take an active role in trying to learn while being respectful, one can really learn a lot. Sadly that's my fear, such that it's super dependent on the hospital/physician one works with. Some of those experiences sound super fun, definitely appears more exciting than the tech job I described, despite the fact that I might actually come into more contact with patients directly.

10 months is quite a solid amount of time scribing. To know that it's still exciting at this point is really great to hear. Happy to know you're enjoying your experience

I think it really comes down what type of experience you are looking for during this year. I would personally love to have some more independent contact with patients like you mentioned in the tech job you are considering, but I don't think I could sacrifice the energy of the emergency room for some independence and a two dollar raise. I think in the long-run the difference in experience in preparing you for medical school won't drastically differ except for the exposure to the various environments. I think you should consider the exposure to the different specialties as the more important factor here.

I worked as a Scribe for 2 years and second a lot of what largelytrustworthy has said. You learn a lot more as a Scribe than basic shadowing, because you are working side-by-side with the physician daily and actively taking notes for each case. This included the history of present illness, physical exam results, radiology/lab findings, procedure notes, diagnoses, consultations with other physicians, and prescriptions in my job duties. This is wonderful because you learn a lot about the clinical decision making process. You also gain a better understanding of the pros and cons of practicing medicine, since you realize quickly its not all rainbows and unicorns ;). I worked with a lot of different physicians, so some were funner to work with than others. Some merely ran off and came back to dictate with me, while others had me accompany them every step of the way, took the time to try to teach me new things, answer my questions, show me things on the XRs etc. To me, it was a very important experience because this allowed me to really understand the role of a physician in the healthcare setting vs a PA or an RN. I was pretty sure I was going to PA school until I became a Scribe and realized the differences in the roles. The experience helped me a lot with the interview process as well, since I feel like I can answer healthcare-related and ethical questions from a more realistic standpoint and have more situational examples.
As far as actual patient contact goes, when available, I brought blankets to people, water, etc like an ER volunteer does. I also was able to interpret which was awesome because I was able to talk to the patients while observing the different physicians' counseling styles. Some programs allow Scribes to take vital signs and cool stuff like that; mine wasn't one of them. PM me if you want any more details but I think this is long enough :)

Last edited:
I'm putting a vote in for the tech job. I'm a tech for a skin cancer surgeon and I get so much experience that isn't just taking histories and prepping surgical sites. Also, this may be location dependent, but we scribe certain days as well. And we have extremely busy day also.

I worked as a Scribe for 2 years and second a lot of what largelytrustworthy has said. You learn a lot more as a Scribe than basic shadowing, because you are working side-by-side with the physician daily and actively taking notes for each case. This included the history of present illness, physical exam results, radiology/lab findings, procedure notes, diagnoses, consultations with other physicians, and prescriptions in my job duties. This is wonderful because you learn a lot about the clinical decision making process. You also gain a better understanding of the pros and cons of practicing medicine, since you realize quickly its not all rainbows and unicorns ;). I worked with a lot of different physicians, so some were funner to work with than others. Some merely ran off and came back to dictate with me, while others had me accompany them every step of the way, took the time to try to teach me new things, answer my questions, show me things on the XRs etc. To me, it was a very important experience because this allowed me to really understand the role of a physician in the healthcare setting vs a PA or an RN. I was pretty sure I was going to PA school until I became a Scribe and realized the differences in the roles. The experience helped me a lot with the interview process as well, since I feel like I can answer healthcare-related and ethical questions from a more realistic standpoint and have more situational examples.
As far as actual patient contact goes, when available, I brought blankets to people, water, etc like an ER volunteer does. I also was able to interpret which was awesome because I was able to talk to the patients while observing the different physicians' counseling styles. Some programs allow Scribes to take vital signs and cool stuff like that; mine wasn't one of them. PM me if you want any more details but I think this is long enough :)

Thanks so much for the information. Seems like it really has paid off as an experience allowing you to learn so many different things. Really hard not to go ahead with scribing after all this!

I'm putting a vote in for the tech job. I'm a tech for a skin cancer surgeon and I get so much experience that isn't just taking histories and prepping surgical sites. Also, this may be location dependent, but we scribe certain days as well. And we have extremely busy day also.

I definitely would be more pumped for this sort of job. I'm only concerned that the high specialized ophthalmology practice won't be as interesting as say that tech job you have. Can't say this for sure obv as I haven't started

I definitely would be more pumped for this sort of job. I'm only concerned that the high specialized ophthalmology practice won't be as interesting as say that tech job you have. Can't say this for sure obv as I haven't started

If it were me, I would see if I could come in and shadow not only the physician, but also a tech for the day. That's what I did before starting and it really helped me to decide what I wanted to do as I was deciding between that and a research job.

If it were me, I would see if I could come in and shadow not only the physician, but also a tech for the day. That's what I did before starting and it really helped me to decide what I wanted to do as I was deciding between that and a research job.

that's a genius idea.

Reactions: 1 users
that's a genius idea.

And some of the more experienced techs will even see follow ups on their own. So you can really get great experience if you have the option for that.

Personally I "smell" every single patient we see daily (usually ~20-25 in a 8 hour shift)...and trust me, some smells you wish you had never smelt. :p

'Smelt' is a fish ;) (My 4th grade teacher straightened me out on this one)

The tech job sounds better simply because you'd be learning concrete, (somewhat?) marketable skills. The pay is better too.

^^And this is why I have multiple people read over any essay I write -__-

Hi all,

I'm trying my best to decide between becoming a traditional ER scribe and working as a technician at a highly specialized ophthalmology practice (preparing patients for injections, taking their history, etc) during my gap year. Besides your standard ER volunteering and shadowing I do not have any clinical experience as actual work.

I'm currently applying to a ton of medical schools and hopefully will hear back from places this fall. I've read a lot about how fantastic scribing is (only downside is perhaps the pay). The tech job pays about 13/hr.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about getting great experience/learning a lot and not worried about the pay. But of course, I want to make sure during potential interviews that I doing something worthwhile (both seem to accomplish that goal)

Thanks.

OP, I have experience doing both ER scribe and Ophtho tech. During interviews, I always got questions about my ophthalmology experience. Only 1 doc (who happened to be an ER MD) asked about my ER scribe experience, and that was after I brought it up when answering a question about what "clinical" experience I had.

In my class, I have only met 1 other person who had ophtho experience. On the same token, I have lost count of how many ER scribes or EMT's I've met.

Granted the breadth of knowledge isn't as wide for an ophtho tech, but you can make whatever you want out of it. Buy/Borrow books, learn about the different ocular diseases, and also how systemic diseases can affect the eye. I can tell you from experience, the eye is a murky field for most MD's, and will definitely make you stand out.

OP, I have experience doing both ER scribe and Ophtho tech. During interviews, I always got questions about my ophthalmology experience. Only 1 doc (who happened to be an ER MD) asked about my ER scribe experience, and that was after I brought it up when answering a question about what "clinical" experience I had.

In my class, I have only met 1 other person who had ophtho experience. On the same token, I have lost count of how many ER scribes or EMT's I've met.

Granted the breadth of knowledge isn't as wide for an ophtho tech, but you can make whatever you want out of it. Buy/Borrow books, learn about the different ocular diseases, and also how systemic diseases can affect the eye. I can tell you from experience, the eye is a murky field for most MD's, and will definitely make you stand out.

That's true. So many students are now becoming scribes that perhaps it doesn't sound as as novel or fascinating, even though it is, particularly in an ER. Although I obvious want the best experience possible, I surely want to come off as "interesting" as possible of an applicant to adcoms, not gonna lie.

Although I obvious want the best experience possible, I surely want to come off as "interesting" as possible of an applicant to adcoms, not gonna lie.

Understandable. Both are stepping stones, not the end game. Anyway, the knowledge gained from either is merely a grain of sand in the mountain of knowledge one learns even in first year.

and btw, nice avatar.
Thanks!