Scribe Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

Any scribes on here have some advice on how to become a scribe? I'm currently an MA at a large practice and am being given more administrative duties as opposed interacting with patients. Its been a promotion in responsibility because MAs at the practice mainly just work up patients but it's becoming monotonous after about a month. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I just took a few online classes, it is really easy. I shadowed a scribe once just to get an idea. There really isn't any real training unless you pay money on websites, so what I did was just make sure I brushed up on the way to write notes and made sure I talked with the doctor and asked him questions and verified everything was correct. Sorry this isn't too helpful, haha. What helped me was just reading his notes to know the format. The job really isn't too hard.

I just took a few online classes, it is really easy. I shadowed a scribe once just to get an idea. There really isn't any real training unless you pay money on websites, so what I did was just make sure I brushed up on the way to write notes and made sure I talked with the doctor and asked him questions and verified everything was correct. Sorry this isn't too helpful, haha. What helped me was just reading his notes to know the format. The job really isn't too hard.

Who did you take the online classes from?

Members don't see this ad :)
you could also go through national companies like ScribeAmerica or PhysAssist Scribes. I can't speak much about PhysAssist, but with ScribeAmerica, you have about 21 hours of online classes and about 40-90 hours of on-floor training afterwards. It's pretty nice.

ScribeAmerica will make you study like you study for upper div bio lolll

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if this is true in other places or not but the scribes I work with aren't even allowed to talk to patients.

I'm not sure if this is true in other places or not but the scribes I work with aren't even allowed to talk to patients.
I work as a scribe and often translate for non-Spanish speaking doctors.

True. What about if you had a english speaking patient? Did you interact with them?

I guess it depends on the doctors. Some doctors at my site won't let me translate because I'm not a certified medical interpreter.

True. What about if you had a english speaking patient? Did you interact with them?
ScribeAmerica policy prevents scribes from independently collecting history. Otherwise, they can casually talk to patients.

If I could do online training that didn't require a bunch of time, that would be ideal because I'm also studying for the MCAT so having to do that on top of mcat prep wouldn't be the best situation.

If I could do online training that didn't require a bunch of time, that would be ideal because I'm also studying for the MCAT so having to do that on top of mcat prep wouldn't be the best situation.

In that case, ScribeAmerica may not be the best option. From what I remember, there were about 6-7 classes, typically 3 hrs long and usually at 8-11 am, 12-3pm or 7-10 pm. You sign up for them and there were a few options for each classes. They have quizzes at the start of each class but they're super easy to pass. If you're out of school and those times work for you, you can still consider it.

Any scribes on here have some advice on how to become a scribe? I'm currently an MA at a large practice and am being given more administrative duties as opposed interacting with patients. Its been a promotion in responsibility because MAs at the practice mainly just work up patients but it's becoming monotonous after about a month. Any advice?

Usually the only requirement is clinical exposure which you definitely have as an MA. I wouldn't suggest scribing if you're trying to avoid monotony. Scribing gets VERY monotonous after a few months, although there's always opportunity to learn new stuff. If you're looking for a job try indeed or other job search engines for "medical scribe" and apply to everything. I'm sure with a resume and good cover letter you can get something.