Scribe vs Research Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a research internship at Columbia and also a scribing job, the internship is unpaid. I'm not sure if I can handle doing both, which one is would medical school committees look more favorable on?

Members don't see this ad.

how much research do you have now? How much clinical experience do you have?

I have lots of research already, but not a lot of clinical

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a research internship at Columbia and also a scribing job, the internship is unpaid. I'm not sure if I can handle doing both, which one is would medical school committees look more favorable on?
Gap year or Summer/during school?

I vote scribing. The clinical/patient experiences you get is second to none as a measly pre-med.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions concerning scribing.

Definitely do the scribe job. As others have said, you are lacking the clinical experience and Scribing is the best way to learn, get experience and get paid.

Definitely research. Better for your future in terms of getting pubs, and your coworkers are actually intelligent. Scribing is a mess of illiterates.

Reactions: 1 user
OP do you know what field you'd be scribing in?

Last edited:
Honestly I don't care about the pay much, scribing I'm trying to decide which position would be a better experience. The scribing is going to be in a relatively small ER

I did a summer where I worked full time in a research internship while scribing part time, so it is possible but not exactly fun (just in case you were considering such a thing!)

I would put my two cents on scribing since you already have research.