Scribing Distance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timetraveling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth my time to drive 45-1hr. away to scribe for an outpatient clinic? I gotten invited to interview (and don't know the pay rate), but I don't know if it'll be worth the extra cost and clinical hours to drive that far.

PS: the job is with ScribeAmerica and located in the southeast, to help with the pay estimation.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you already have clinical experience? Are you still taking classes? Are you submitting your application this year? etc.

In short, you did not provide enough information.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you dont have clinical experience then its not quite about the money is it?

The benefits of having the clinical experience far outweigh the cost of travel IMO. I've been a scribe with ScribeAmerica for about a year now and this experience was a very important part of my application. I had to move back home just to afford being able to have this job (because let's be honest a job as a scribe generally won't provide you with enough money to support yourself) but it was worth it for me. I don't know your specific financial situation of course but I just know for me it was a huge benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am currently a scribe with ScribeAmerica. While the pay sucks and the management is not so great, scribing is an invaluable clinical experience that definitely cemented my desire to be a doctor. Since you don't have any clinical experience yet this could be really good for you. Now when I took the job I fortunately did not need to support myself on the pay. Since you are still in school, I'm assuming you would be working part time. I would try to find out how flexible they are with scheduling. No extracurricular is worth damaging your GPA so make sure you can balance both.

Reactions: 1 user
I just emailed back to be interviewed. Wish me luck, and wish me patience for driving that long to work! Lol...

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth my time to drive 45-1hr. away to scribe for an outpatient clinic? I gotten invited to interview (and don't know the pay rate), but I don't know if it'll be worth the extra cost and clinical hours to drive that far.

PS: the job is with ScribeAmerica and located in the southeast, to help with the pay estimation.
Have you checked to see if there's any scribing opportunities closer to where you live?

I would definitely see if they have something closer. I would be over having to drive 45-1hr to work.

Have you checked to see if there's any scribing opportunities closer to where you live?
Yup. I got denied for a position near my uni. I'm a humanities major (so I'm guessing they didn't even open my resume, which includes my research experience...honestly the only marketable medically-related skill I have), so I assume they just skipped over me. Right after that email, however, I got a link from the same ScribeAmerica sender titled "Re Apply" with a link, so I obviously re-applied.

I applied for other positions in my uni's city and the surrounding area, and even at a position back home. Based on how long it took to receive a response from the position I got denied from, I won't hear back for a while.

TL;DR: yes

Fingers crossed.

Yup. I got denied for a position near my uni. I'm a humanities major (so I'm guessing they didn't even open my resume, which includes my research experience...honestly the only marketable medically-related skill I have), so I assume they just skipped over me. Right after that email, however, I got a link from the same ScribeAmerica sender titled "Re Apply" with a link, so I obviously re-applied.

I applied for other positions in my uni's city and the surrounding area, and even at a position back home. Based on how long it took to receive a response from the position I got denied from, I won't hear back for a while.

TL;DR: yes

Fingers crossed.

How was the interview?

How was the interview?

So, the guy started interviewing at 11AM or so in the morning, and I didn't get off my part-time until 12. I asked to interview later for this reason, he never emailed me back, so I was never able to interview.

So, the guy started interviewing at 11AM or so in the morning, and I didn't get off my part-time until 12. I asked to interview later for this reason, he never emailed me back, so I was never able to interview.
That sucks. Scribing is a good job in some respects, but the gap between knowledge and skill required and money earned is tremendous in my experience as scribe. It's definitely not something I could see doing for more than a year.