Scribing during sophomore year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillawafer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a sophomore and thinking of applying to be a scribe for the summer and continue through the part-time two year contract. I am curious to see what you guys think of PhysAssist, since I have located them at a couple of locations near me. Any opinions on them?

Also, my schedule is a bit off for sophomore year and on. I started chem and biology late a semester, so this will push me back into a gap year, I am assuming. Next semester, I'll be taking Gen Chem II w/ lab and Biology 2 w/ lab alongside some psych/core classes. Totaling 18 credits, I may drop one psych class if I do the scribe position so I'll have 15 hours.

(gen chem lab II is 2 credits at my school, so it will be longer. we didn't have a gen chem I lab)

My grades for this semester are likely going to be a B for Chem I and B for Bio I w/ lab.

Is this a good idea? Or will I screw myself over with the scribe hours?

Also some questions for a scribe -
How many hours do you need to commit a week?
Do we get to pick our hours?

Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't worked for that company, but in general I do recommend scribing. Good experience.

I don't know about starting scribing this early though. Personally, I felt that taking basic anatomy and physiology really helped me during my scribing career. You may want to gain more experience in the human body before starting scribing.
As far as hours: They're usually pretty flexible about finding hours that work for you or trading shifts with others. ED scribe shifts can range between 8-12 hrs. Don't know about specifics regarding commitment, look up their site.

I am a scribe but not for PhysAssist. I don't recommend scribing while still in school taking more than maybe one class. I work as a scribe now during my gap year while taking biochemistry (school to which I was accepted requires it). Sitting at the computer studying is really difficult after working a 12 hour shift as a scribe. The job itself will take all of your focus for the entire duration of the shift when it is busy. Just do whatever it takes to get the highest grades possible. Many schools will automatically screen out people with GPAs below a certain threshold.

I'm going to be a sophomore and thinking of applying to be a scribe for the summer and continue through the part-time two year contract. I am curious to see what you guys think of PhysAssist, since I have located them at a couple of locations near me. Any opinions on them?

Also, my schedule is a bit off for sophomore year and on. I started chem and biology late a semester, so this will push me back into a gap year, I am assuming. Next semester, I'll be taking Gen Chem II w/ lab and Biology 2 w/ lab alongside some psych/core classes. Totaling 18 credits, I may drop one psych class if I do the scribe position so I'll have 15 hours.

(gen chem lab II is 2 credits at my school, so it will be longer. we didn't have a gen chem I lab)

My grades for this semester are likely going to be a B for Chem I and B for Bio I w/ lab.

Is this a good idea? Or will I screw myself over with the scribe hours?

Also some questions for a scribe -
How many hours do you need to commit a week?
Do we get to pick our hours?

Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also scribe for a different company. I know of classmates who managed to scribe and do classes. But they weren't working all that much, maybe 20 hours a week. But it all depends on what location you scribe at. ED scribes will work, as @Styrene mentioned above, 8-12 hour shifts. I work at an immunology/allergy clinic connected to the state university. Here, the office is outpatient, so it's only open from 8-5 each m-f. Not only that, but the physician I work with only works 26-28 hours a week. I think if you mention that you want to work part-time and still do school, you could pull it off. But grades are more important. You don't necessarily pick your hours each week, rather, you offer availability, and they match you with a physician that has similar hours OR they throw you in the ED where you work those hours, but with many different physicians.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't add something like scribing on until you are getting a 3.8+ for at least two semesters straight. I've seen many individuals try to take scribing on and hastily quit because it was too difficult to manage alongside GPA and other ECs. Everyone has different capabilities though.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't add something like scribing on until you are getting a 3.8+ for at least two semesters straight. I've seen many individuals try to take scribing on and hastily quit because it was too difficult to manage alongside GPA and other ECs. Everyone has different capabilities though.
Thank you. I think I'll hold off on it unless I have some free time if I take a gap year.