Scribing vs. shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoZagsMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there does anyone know if working as a medical scribe would constitute shadowing experience??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there does anyone know if working as a medical scribe would constitute shadowing experience??
Yes, but you will likely be limited to only one or two specialties, so it'd still be good to branch out a bit. That being said, you do get to know a lot of other physicians because you call the consults, so...

Scribing is also FAR more involved and interesting than shadowing. I have learned so much in the past year, it's not even funny.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe I read that adcoms on SDN did not count scribing as shadowing, especially so if you plan to list them as separate activities in your AMCAS app, but it is considered clinical experience.
But like mehc012 said, scribing is a far better option between the two if you have to choose, and it gives you a much more in-depth clinical exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I read that adcoms on SDN did not count scribing as shadowing, especially so if you plan to list them as separate activities in your AMCAS app, but it is considered clinical experience.
But like mehc012 said, scribing is a far better option between the two if you have to choose, and it gives you a much more in-depth clinical exposure.

I know the University of Washington requires at least 40 hours of shadow experience from its applicants (according to the MSAR). Sounds like I might have to do some distinct shadowing then it sounds like before the next cycle?

From what I've heard, no, scribing is not shadowing, but if you have scribing, you don't really need shadowing except to gain some perspective about specialties other than the one you chart for.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
I know the University of Washington requires at least 40 hours of shadow experience from its applicants (according to the MSAR). Sounds like I might have to do some distinct shadowing then it sounds like before the next cycle?

I believe that they do count scribing as shadowing at UW though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user