Scribing while studying for the Mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowabunga521

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to start scribing this summer, but I was also planning on taking a course and to study and take the MCAT in August or September. Is it doable to scribe part time while studying for the MCAT without significantly affecting my MCAT score? This is my last summer before applying to med school, and while I would love to have a great MCAT score I also don't want this opportunity to go to waste.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is. It all depends on how you study and manage your time. The first time I took my MCAT (27), I had barely finished all the pre-reqs, which was incredibly stupid in hind-sight. But the second time I took it (35), I was working full time and taking a course and studying. It all depends on you.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the opportunity to start scribing this summer, but I was also planning on taking a course and to study and take the MCAT in August or September. Is it doable to scribe part time while studying for the MCAT without significantly affecting my MCAT score? This is my last summer before applying to med school, and while I would love to have a great MCAT score I also don't want this opportunity to go to waste.

The average pre-med should be expected to be able to work while studying for the MCAT. However, not everyone is equal and if you have time management issues, your MCAT score is by far more important than a scribing experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't pass up on it; scribing is a great experience. It shouldn't affect your score unless you're doing it full time. I'm doing it full time right now and the 10 hour shifts and constant day to night shift switching is destroying my MCAT studying. Scribing part time is usually only two days a week which is definitely doable.

Reactions: 1 user
It's absolutely possible. I worked full time as a scribe while studying for the MCAT and managed to get a score I was very happy with.

My gosh, it's like people are shocked that one is expected to walk and talk at the same time without forgetting to breathe.

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT takes priority no matter what. Sure, scribing might be a good experience, but you'll have the rest of your life as a physician to experience these things. When everything is on the line as a pre-med, it isn't the time to go prove yourself. Also, scribing is common. It won't set you apart. A higher MCAT score will help you far more than scribing.

t1. It is absolutely possible. Like, I-do-not-comprehend-the-question possible.
2. MCAT is king. Do not, under any circumstances, mess up your MCAT.
3. Honestly, I think it's a good idea to have 1-2 'off' days per week while study for the MCAT anyway. Even the intense SN2ed schedule had 1/wk, but I took more (was scribing p/t and working in biotech p/t), and with the extra content to cover now, aka more extended study period, I think it's even more important to pace yourself.
4. If you think you can do literally anything and study for the MCAT, I'd highly recommend scribing as that anything. So much valuable experience. It was a game-changer for me, perspective-wise. It's the only pre-med activity where I actively felt as if I were learning and contributing at all times (even beyond the hands-on volunteering where I actively performed a screening test on patients and recorded the results in the chart). It was where I decided whether the weird, long, hours and the hospital BS and often missing your lunch breaks or barely getting to pee on a shift were things I could live with. In fact, I found that I wouldn't even notice those details when I was amped up by a heavy patient load or an intense case. So, ymmv, but I think it's one of the best things you can do premed.

So, yeah. It shouldn't make a difference. Most people can do both. If you can't, absolutely pick the MCAT, but I'd also pay a lot of attention to how you study and how effective your methods are for your own future benefit. This will not be your last standardized test, by any stretch - and you won't be able to take time off for all of them. Also be careful not to burn out studying 7d/wk nonstop!

It's absolutely possible. I worked part time as a scribe, and took full time class work while I studied for the MCAT. Working part time should not affect studying. It can be a good break from studying.

As other people have said, the MCAT is the most important. If work will interfere with MCAT studying, then don't work.

Also, at my company, they won't hire anyone who can't commit to 1 year of full time or 2 years of part time, so watch out for that. Also beware that the training period is intense and there is a high turnover rate.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Long or oddly timed shifts, even if they're only a few times a week, will tire you out and detract from your ability to effectively study for the MCAT. I've been conducting research and volunteering at an ER for a long time and the cases are incredibly interesting! However, the environment is very fast-paced and will leave you exhausted.

Focus on doing as well as you possibly can on the MCAT and worry about clinical experiences when the school year starts.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Long or oddly timed shifts, even if they're only a few times a week, will tire you out and detract from your ability to effectively study for the MCAT. I've been conducting research and volunteering at an ER for a long time and the cases are incredibly interesting! However, the environment is very fast-paced and will leave you exhausted.

Focus on doing as well as you possibly can on the MCAT and worry about clinical experiences when the school year starts.
Yes, doing ANYTHING is ostensibly more likely to interfere with your MCAT than doing NOTHING.

But it's part time. You can't study every day. And a few 10-12hr shifts here and there are not going to utterly bomb your mental capacity for the week (or if they are, that'd be an excellent thing to know NOW).

I'm not saying that it will 100% work out, just that the odds of it being unsustainable for OP are low enough that it's worth trying. Most people - especially most who intend to survive med school - can adjust to long or oddly timed shifts without losing all ability to study given no other obligations. It would be a shame to pass up a good opportunity to avoid the small chance that OP is unusual in this regard, especially when the solution, should that be true, is simple (quit scribing).

I scribe part time and take two classes while studying for MCAT (post-undergrad). It's doable so long as you relegate yourself to a nonexistent social life.

But in all honesty, if you can squeeze in some experience at a later time then if I were you, I would focus soley on MCAT. You can easily find experience wherever, whereas you only have 3 chances to get a decent score and you can't afford to waist even one of them.