Scripps/Kaiser-San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densmore22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about this program (besides what's on the CASPR/CRIP website)? I'm interested in this residency, but haven't heard much about it. It looks like it should be towards the top, IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me about this program (besides what's on the CASPR/CRIP website)? I'm interested in this residency, but haven't heard much about it. It looks like it should be towards the top, IMO.

Based on the two TUSPM grads that did their residency training at Scripps Mercy, they said that it is a well rounded solid program. You will be comfortable doing everything ranging from trauma to elective reconstructive procedures upon graduating from the residency program. The residency program is also somewhat academic. It is pretty selective residency program. Hence, make sure that you have good academic credentials to increase your chances of getting the residency program. When they were residents, Scripps Mercy only took two residents a year and the residents would spend the third year up in Kaiser Sacremento. I guess that since they had added a third resident, the third resident will spend time between Kaiser San Diego and Scripps Mercy during the third year. At Scripps Mercy, you do get to work with Donald Green.

It is one of the top programs. For externships they take from the top 5 in the class, sometimes exceptions are made. They may match with people that did not extern though.

They are big on internal medicine. It is one of the top hospitals for internal medicine and for transitional year for MDs.

You will get to meet and work with people that are part of Scripps research which is nationally recognized as one of the best research institutions in the country.

When you tell MDs / PhDs where you went they will be highly impressed. It goes a bit under the radar in the pod circles.

One of the Greens (both brothers work there) is the Green from Reverdin-Green procedure.

They have very high expectations of their residents. Radiology conference every friday where the residents and students are pimped.

Research is required.

That is all that I know for now.

I have a friend that is a 1st year so let me know if you have more specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)

Whats up there dens? When will you be gracing us with your presence in Des moines?

Yeah, I was actually reading up on this program today and I must agree that it sounds top notch. Seems it is a very trauma heavy program. I wonder how it compares to DMC in that area.

It is one of the top programs. For externships they take from the top 5 in the class, sometimes exceptions are made. They may match with people that did not extern though.

They are big on internal medicine. It is one of the top hospitals for internal medicine and for transitional year for MDs.

You will get to meet and work with people that are part of Scripps research which is nationally recognized as one of the best research institutions in the country.

When you tell MDs / PhDs where you went they will be highly impressed. It goes a bit under the radar in the pod circles.

One of the Greens (both brothers work there) is the Green from Reverdin-Green procedure.

They have very high expectations of their residents. Radiology conference every friday where the residents and students are pimped.

Research is required.

That is all that I know for now.

I have a friend that is a 1st year so let me know if you have more specific questions.

Krab,

They take from the top 5 of each class to grant externships or they usually take from the top 5 externs for the residency program? Thanks.

onco

Krab,

They take from the top 5 of each class to grant externships or they usually take from the top 5 externs for the residency program? Thanks.

onco

from top 5 in the class for externs. externing is not necessary to match. cali students typically do not like scripps so that lessens competition from them.

at least visit if you do not extern.

you get to work with ortho for trauma I think. I think DMC wins for trauma.

From what I have heard, they do a lot of STA pegs and you better know your planal dominance. They do not believe in a lot of RF reconstruction such as calc slides. I cannot confirm this b/c I have not been there but spoke with a resident that extern there. He didn't know like it b/c he does not believe in arthroerisis.

I have never heard that they only take the top 5 but Sam is smarter than me, so believe her.

I think that if I was going to do a Kaiser it would be SF Area with Schuberth. Of course, if you like this program than Swedish maybe a better choice b/c you spend 3 months with Schuberth.

Onco-

I'll be back in DM around July 25th. I'll give you a ring when I get back.

Feelgood-

How was Swedish? Apparently you don't believe in calling people back, but that's cool. Hope we can catch up when you get back in DM.

This is my number 1 right now. They say (or said in the past) that they have yet to accept a CPMS graduate into residency so I didn't know if Cali students had priority there.

I'm a little too green in Pod med right now to be that concerned with where I really want to go or even extern. I think I'll feel more confident at the end of this year when I actually start to learn podiatry, I was just curious because it doesn't get much press.

I am now terrified as to what I don't know about podiatry based on Feelgoods and Krab's remarks.

Krab-

Make sure Keplinger stays in line at Inova, she's a wild one.

Feelgood-

How was Swedish? Apparently you don't believe in calling people back, but that's cool. Hope we can catch up when you get back in DM.

This is my number 1 right now. They say (or said in the past) that they have yet to accept a CPMS graduate into residency so I didn't know if Cali students had priority there.

I'm a little too green in Pod med right now to be that concerned with where I really want to go or even extern. I think I'll feel more confident at the end of this year when I actually start to learn podiatry, I was just curious because it doesn't get much press.

I am now terrified as to what I don't know about podiatry based on Feelgoods and Krab's remarks.

When did you call me??? I did forget to call you while we were in Seattle, but I didn't go out as much as expected. That city is expensive to party in.

As for CPMS and Seattle, Sean Grambart graduated from the program in 2004 (I believe) he was a CPMS grad. I think that the main reason the CPMS hasn't had a major presence out there is most CPMS grads look to stay in the Midwest. Most of the CCPM students look to stay on the West coast.

I'm going to talk about more externships and other pearls of wisdom when I'm back in October. I'll probably set something up through SCACFAS or the class presidents.

When did you call me??? I did forget to call you while we were in Seattle, but I didn't go out as much as expected. That city is expensive to party in.

As for CPMS and Seattle, Sean Grambart graduated from the program in 2004 (I believe) he was a CPMS grad. I think that the main reason the CPMS hasn't had a major presence out there is most CPMS grads look to stay in the Midwest. Most of the CCPM students look to stay on the West coast.

I'm going to talk about more externships and other pearls of wisdom when I'm back in October. I'll probably set something up through SCACFAS or the class presidents.

Are you still spending second core at the lawns? If so you should get to pretty much do every surgery that walks in the door since there aren't any residents.

Onco-

I'll be back in DM around July 25th. I'll give you a ring when I get back.

Feelgood-

Krab-

Make sure Keplinger stays in line at Inova, she's a wild one.

She's keeping me in line, isn't that scary?

Yeah, after you cycle through there they will probably tell us that we cant even put on an una boot.:laugh:

Thats ok, just smooth everyone over with some cowbell and things are going to be aaalllllright.