SDN article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Good article, although I find it interesting that it was written by a psych resident. Funny, they never seemed to be overly busy or stressed out in my hospital...I wonder why.

One of the best things about anesthesiology residency was the one-on-one time afforded to students rotating through anesthesia that you could make as educational as you wanted. Our anesthesia residents were consistently ranked as the nicest and best educators by the med students year in and year out, a story I'm sure is common at academic centers. When I ran out of interesting things to say I would send my student home or off to find something more educational to do, because I couldn't stand the awkward lurk in the background.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with gimlet. Broad generalization here but anesthesia:med student relationship is probably one of the best ones. Likely super chill rotation, you get to do procedures, go home early, no rounding etc. At the same time, most competent anesthesia residents have a wealth of information they'd love to share about physiology, finance, why you should go into the field, etc. And they usually have ample time to do so during the 3 hourly lap appy. I tried to take advantage of these opportunities with eager med students to practice my oral board skills in a very non threatening manner, and I believed it paid dividends. Of course there's always the shy/socially awkward resident who sits there and says nothing as you stand idly by as well.

It is easy to move up in the world, and forget where you came from or the people got you there. So kuddos to those who take a little time out of their day to teach!

Reactions: 1 user