SDN meetup - Ireland & UK ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been with these forums for awhile now and have watched it grow tremendously in a rather short time. There's increased applications and SDN members attending Irish / UK schools. As such, would people be keen to meet up for a drink one day and meet other Irish SDNers, the ones you've been talking to online either asking q's or giving advice? It could be very useful, especially for the "younger" ones. That way, we can start a tradition of making friendships and contacts through SDN.

Since most of us are in Dublin, I'd say hold the first one here. I don't know when all the colleges start (Trinity starts last), and different years start at different points in the term. But that can be ironed out later. What I'd like to do now is just see if there's interest in doing this. If people attending UCC or by chance, NUIG or Queens (Belfast) are interested - let me know a weekend that'd be suitable or convenient for you to come, and if people in the UK are around Dublin one weekend, let us know that too :)

Members don't see this ad.

If there is eating or drinking involved, I'm already there! :p

i would love to

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds good to me...i'm dying for a guinness by the way...had one today in canada and it tasted like crap. daaaaayyuuuuuum. how about getting everyone together sometime in october for a joint canadian/u.s. thanksgiving thing.....say around end of october, that way it's about halfway between the 2 holidays and by then even the trinity students will be back?

Hey there people.
I am totally down for this. Just keep me in the loop of things, and I'll be sure to by a round for everyone. But lets try and plan this where all the people can come, not just some schools and not others.
I also like the Thanksgiving idea too, suggested by Badkarma..

Well, 1st & 2nd yr. Trinity students will be here by Oct 3rd (Fresher's week Oct 3rd, same as RCSI?) - so what if we did it Oct 9th right before classes start or Oct 15th/16th? I think perhaps it'd be better earlier rather than later so that people can meet people they "know" first off, and maybe if they have questions can start making associations with those of us who have been here awhile from the beginning. Around end of Oct wouldn't be great, HALLOWEEN PARTIES and all ;) Whatdya think?

Obviously those in clinical years will be back by Sept 5th woo hoo.

Sounds good to me too. Though let's nor assume that "new to med school" means "young"! October great for me too, especially as that's during my six-week bachelorhood before my wife and toddler move over from British Columbia. How easy/long is transpo from Cork to Dublin if that's where we start?

where are you planning to meet?

i just did an elective in kosice, slovakia in the neurosurg department... quite the experience i must say.. heh

Awesome, nothing permanent decided yet. What do people think about Oct. 9th? That's a sunday...

Where now...hmm. Where... well, somewhere central and "friendly..." with a big sitting area... I've had large meetings in The Forum bar (next to the Parliament Hotel) on Dame Street...that's pretty easy to find? Can get a few drinks and it's not noisy, especially in daytime. I was thinking Down Under next to RCSI as well..but that's not exactly the best place for "meeting" people. Other suggestions?

leorl said:
Awesome, nothing permanent decided yet. What do people think about Oct. 9th? That's a sunday...

Where now...hmm. Where... well, somewhere central and "friendly..." with a big sitting area... I've had large meetings in The Forum bar (next to the Parliament Hotel) on Dame Street...that's pretty easy to find? Can get a few drinks and it's not noisy, especially in daytime. I was thinking Down Under next to RCSI as well..but that's not exactly the best place for "meeting" people. Other suggestions?

i dont recommend oct 9 is that is the last day of rcsi's fresher's week and there will be a huge party... rcsi has their fresher's week running at the sametime as classes... which is weird.. and stupid imo ... so from oct 4-9 its party and classes for rcsi...

maybe oct 10? or if you choose oct 9 maybe in the afternoon... depends on who is going to be a frosh leader as there maybe activities ... but hihgly unlikely seeing how disorganized our student union is with fresher's week..

as for suggestions.. if u want a place where you can actually hear each other speak rather than just the base from a euro trash dance song... maybe the globe or hogans on georges street?

on a side note.. i just saw that you made over 4000 posts... WOW.. thats a lot of posts hehe...

I've been on these boards for about 3-4 years now ;). You should see some of the others...20,000+ posts in like... a month! Oh, Oct 9th is a sunday isn't it? Trinity is just done with it's fresher's week then as well. I thought things would end on Oct 7th (Friday) and then people would party Saturday (Oct 8th) and we'll hold it in the afternoon/evening when people's hangovers wear off :). Oct 10th wouldn't be great as that's the first day of classes.

Ok, not the globe...that isn't exactly the quietest place. And would have to check when their bingo days are and stuff... Hogans could work, depending on how many people we have...but what about Market Bar right across from Hogans? That place is huge! There'd definitely be enough light and quiet enough for people to chat!

So is it a go then? October 9th, The MARKET BAR, around 4:30 pm (nothing like a few before dinner...ha!) ? We won't make it too late in case any of y'all have pre-term parties to get to.

Market Bar is on Fade Street which is the 2nd street up St. George's Street. It's literally 2 seconds from RCSI (RCSI people, turn left out of your residences down Lower Stephen Street, then cross the road when you see The Hairy Lemon pub (next st. to ur right) and pass Brooks Hotel on your right. Then next street is in front of you is Fade Street, so turn left down it and Market Bar is on the right. It is seriously in your backyard.

For everyone else, get on George's Street. If from Dame street, it's the 2nd left opposite Hogan's. You can't really miss it, it's huge.

leorl said:
So is it a go then? October 9th, The MARKET BAR, around 4:30 pm (nothing like a few before dinner...ha!) ? We won't make it too late in case any of y'all have pre-term parties to get to.

Market Bar is on Fade Street which is the 2nd street up St. George's Street. It's literally 2 seconds from RCSI (RCSI people, turn left out of your residences down Lower Stephen Street, then cross the road when you see The Hairy Lemon pub (next st. to ur right) and pass Brooks Hotel on your right. Then next street is in front of you is Fade Street, so turn left down it and Market Bar is on the right. It is seriously in your backyard.

For everyone else, get on George's Street. If from Dame street, it's the 2nd left opposite Hogan's. You can't really miss it, it's huge.

is it possible to see who is going... like how many people are we looking at?

I'm in :)

Is this an eating or just drinking place?

Organize one for October 2006, and I'm in.

You would think Irish med students would be a little more excited by the prospect of drinking.

Well, if you smell, we wouldn't know on-line (nor should you expect to have your patients warm to you). Sorry I, for one, couldn't confirm for Oct 9. Much more complicated for us getting up from Cork on short(ish) notice. I and others are coming to Dublin on Halloween weekend, though, for the IFMSA conference at UCD. Perhaps a pint then to meet some of you.