SEAK, Inc. and similar services?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Sunshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my residency training is complete and the jobs are nowhere to be found. I won't bore you with the long sordid stories.

But one thing on my radar are non-clinical jobs. Does anyone have experience with such positions? I realize they can be quite varied.

Specifically, I'm also wondering if anyone has experience dealing with SEAK, Inc. They have a file reviewer service, whereby you can be listed as a chart reviewer on their website and in their directory...but it costs $500 to get your contact info listed. Seems like it could easily be a scam, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone tried it.

Chart review or utilization review sound intriguing. Nowhere near as interesting as pushing glass, but given the current job market I want to look seriously at all viable options.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how much it matters, but no, I'm not currently in fellowship. I had a surg path one lined up, but then my parents became ill and there was no one else to care for them, so I had to drop everything for a few months.

That issue has recently resolved, but this time of year is an awkward time to find a tolerable fellowship opening. I'm teaching college A&P and micro in the meantime, until I find my next stepping stone.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about your parents. I would have made the same choice to drop fellowship if my parents needed me.

As far as pathology jobs, I think it does matter whether or not you've had fellowship training in this day and age. I've only ever come across two people who, in recent times, landed a traditional pathology job without any fellowship training whatsoever.

Oh, I don't doubt it. That's why I'm looking into non-clinical jobs, such as those offered by SEAK, Inc. and similar agencies.

I was in a similar position, but I did locums work for a few months before I got hired at my current position which I'm pretty happy with. Everyone wants an "experienced" pathologist, so the hardest thing to do coming out of training is to get your foot in the door and do independent sign-out...anywhere. From personal experience, no one will take your application seriously unless you can honestly say that you've signed out cases. Although, also speaking from personal experience, those same people who want "experienced" colleagues can't write a path report worth a s***.

you can also look into industry. Get connected with a recruiter for large companies and there are positions that are much better suited for your skill set. I remember talking to reps from Eli Lilly and Genentech for pathology positions when I was a fellow... Jobs can include looking at animal model pathology to see of they can mimic or treat disease with their drugs to consulting on large clinical trial operations.

These jobs pay well, and I would think most pathologists would steer clear just because it seems boring/contrary to your training to report on mouse biopsies or necropsies.

Try the drug companies. They are not a bad place to work. Friend of mine worked for Lilly for years.

You can also try Ventana. I hear they're always hiring pathologists as they seem to be ramping up all of the companion diagnostics for Roche.

A caveat to industry... Don't contact companies directly, as they by-and-large use recruiting services. Go through the recruiting services. If they hear you've already contacted the company, they will not help you find employment. These companies often really rely on these services to filter out candidates, and if you are not going to be profitable for them you may find yourself on the outside looking in.

So, has no one here ever done any utilization review or similar non-clinical service? Seems rather odd. :/

I've been investigating dozens of companies... Most of them look rather sketchy, with bad websites full of typos and clip art. The few who look reputable all require board-certification and at least five years of practice... Is this realistic? Ug.

Just a follow-up. I recently tried to get listed on SEAK, Inc.'s website...and was turned down for not being board certified.

Apparently, you need to be board certified just to read a medical chart and write a 2-3 page summary? :mad:

I asked them if they actually verified the certification status of the docs they list in their directory, and they deftly avoided answering the question...

Le sigh. Why should I bother to get board certified if I keep meeting certified pathologists with several years of experience who have to take "sabbaticals" to flip houses and other non-medical jobs to make ends meet?