Program-Specific Info / Q's Searching for program suggestions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOT17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I am reapplying for OT school this year after not getting off the wait lists last year. I am always looking for new options to consider, but it is too time consuming to look into all of them. I figured there are plenty of others that are very knowledgeable on programs I may have never heard before.

With that being said, I am looking for suggestions on programs to consider. The following are the "guidelines" I am using to find a school:
-OTD or MOT does not matter to me
-Prefer schools that do an interview as part of the admissions process
-Looking for a program that has more emphasis on the hands-on aspect over research
-I live in Pennsylvania, but am willing to travel almost anywhere for the right program
-I couldn't take physics, so that limits where I could apply
-I would love a program that does some sort of international componentcomponent
-I find service learning important and like faith based programs

If anyone has any ideas that meet any of these guidelines, I would really appreciate hearing what they are!

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you apply last year / what schools are already on your list?

Last year I applied to:
East Carolina University (reapplying this year)
Murphy Deming (reapplying this year)
Belmont (too expensive/high cost of living)
Chatham (didn't like the program/setting)

I am going to also apply this year to:
Huntington University
Milligan College

In the end I would like to add another program or two to apply to in addition to what I already plan on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be willing to share your stats from last year? What have you done differently since applying last year? It's okay if you don't feel comfortable sharing.. just curious!

I don't mind sharing at all! I've realized it is what it is and if my information could help anyone, then great!

Here are the stats I had last year at the time of my application submission:
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.5
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (Depending on the school)
GRE: verbal = 156 quantitative = 151 writing = 4.0
OT shadowing: Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic - 16 hrs, Certified Hand Therapist - 60 hours
Work experience: 480 hours as a Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program Assistant
Volunteer experience: Multiple service trips to Mississippi and South America (400 hrs), Mentor for at-risk-youth (80 hrs)
Extras: Student athlete (2 yr captain), President of Colleges Against Cancer, Student Ambassador (give tours to perspective students), conducted non-experimental research throughout coursework
References: OT, advisor, supervisor

During the rest of my senior year, I was pretty busy. I retook A&P II and went from a C to a B+. I also took sociology and got an A in that. I participated in two more research studies and presented them at the college's symposium. I completed a 150 hour internship in the Career Development office at my college. I went back to South America on another mission trip and added about 100 additional community service hours. I won two awards through the athletic department. I also capped off my year by acting as the student speaker for my commencement ceremony.

Since then, I graduated from college with my BA in Psychology. I began working as a Therapeutic Staff Support with children that have autism and similar conditions. I recently picked up another job waitressing, just to pay some more of my loans. I am shadowing an OT at a SNF and will end up with about 30 hours with her. I will be retaking the GREs (damn things) in August.

I am completely redoing my personal statement as I felt like it wasn't unique enough. I honestly believe I took too much advice from others and did not stay true to myself. My LOR will be written by my internship supervisor, research advisor, and the OT I am currently shadowing. My grades have stayed pretty consistent, so nothing I can do there. I have everything in line to submit no later than September 1st and I didn't submit last year until the middle of October.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-19_16-32-21.png
    upload_2015-7-19_16-32-21.png
    95 bytes · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 user
I don't mind sharing at all! I've realized it is what it is and if my information could help anyone, then great!

Here are the stats I had last year at the time of my application submission:
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.5
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (Depending on the school)
GRE: verbal = 156 quantitative = 151 writing = 4.0
OT shadowing: Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic - 16 hrs, Certified Hand Therapist - 60 hours
Work experience: 480 hours as a Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program Assistant
Volunteer experience: Multiple service trips to Mississippi and South America (400 hrs), Mentor for at-risk-youth (80 hrs)
Extras: Student athlete (2 yr captain), President of Colleges Against Cancer, Student Ambassador (give tours to perspective students), conducted non-experimental research throughout coursework
References: OT, advisor, supervisor

During the rest of my senior year, I was pretty busy. I retook A&P II and went from a C to a B+. I also took sociology and got an A in that. I participated in two more research studies and presented them at the college's symposium. I completed a 150 hour internship in the Career Development office at my college. I went back to South America on another mission trip and added about 100 additional community service hours. I won two awards through the athletic department. I also capped off my year by acting as the student speaker for my commencement ceremony.

Since then, I graduated from college with my BA in Psychology. I began working as a Therapeutic Staff Support with children that have autism and similar conditions. I recently picked up another job waitressing, just to pay some more of my loans. I am shadowing an OT at a SNF and will end up with about 30 hours with her. I will be retaking the GREs (damn things) in August.

I am completely redoing my personal statement as I felt like it wasn't unique enough. I honestly believe I took too much advice from others and did not stay true to myself. My LOR will be written by my internship supervisor, research advisor, and the OT I am currently shadowing. My grades have stayed pretty consistent, so nothing I can do there. I have everything in line to submit no later than September 1st and I didn't submit last year until the middle of October.

Your stats are GREAT!!! Can't believe you weren't accepted anywhere. Have you looked into Thomas Jefferson University in Philly or maybe even Salus. I know these two schools require interviews... Although I'm not really sure if they have internationally connection established (Salus probably doesn't because their OT program is fairly new, but TJ might).

Well, thank you! I feel like they are pretty average, but I do believe I excel in other areas that can't exactly be quantified. My interviews went well last year and I had good vibes from all of them. Nothing just panned out, I guess. One issue I had is that I had to retake A&P II and those grades weren't in until after three of my interviews. I also didn't take Sociology until this past semester.

It's going to sound cheesy, but in some ways I am glad that I have a year off. I got a great job working with children and I am exploring what life is like without having to worry about school. I remember having a panic attack because I have been a student for so long that it is all I know to do. I have to admit that as embarrassing as it was moving back home with my mother, it's nice to be close to her and my ailing grandparents. I believe that things happen for a reason, and there were lessons for me to learn before I start my professional schooling. At least it is what I am telling myself.

I actually applied to Salus last minute this past cycle. I didn't get an interview for a month and at that point they were interviewing for the waiting list. I was struggling financially after interviewing every where else, so I couldn't justify it.

I am such a small town girl that moving to Philly kind of scares me. Plus, I don't know if I could afford to live there. I am doing my best to save up from my current job so that I won't struggle so much. It's just complicated I guess. I do get emails from them a lot and would love to check out the program, it's just in the opposite corner of PA and a long drive. I will definitely look further into it.

Thanks so much, cb31!

Well, thank you! I feel like they are pretty average, but I do believe I excel in other areas that can't exactly be quantified. My interviews went well last year and I had good vibes from all of them. Nothing just panned out, I guess. One issue I had is that I had to retake A&P II and those grades weren't in until after three of my interviews. I also didn't take Sociology until this past semester.

It's going to sound cheesy, but in some ways I am glad that I have a year off. I got a great job working with children and I am exploring what life is like without having to worry about school. I remember having a panic attack because I have been a student for so long that it is all I know to do. I have to admit that as embarrassing as it was moving back home with my mother, it's nice to be close to her and my ailing grandparents. I believe that things happen for a reason, and there were lessons for me to learn before I start my professional schooling. At least it is what I am telling myself.

I actually applied to Salus last minute this past cycle. I didn't get an interview for a month and at that point they were interviewing for the waiting list. I was struggling financially after interviewing every where else, so I couldn't justify it.

I am such a small town girl that moving to Philly kind of scares me. Plus, I don't know if I could afford to live there. I am doing my best to save up from my current job so that I won't struggle so much. It's just complicated I guess. I do get emails from them a lot and would love to check out the program, it's just in the opposite corner of PA and a long drive. I will definitely look further into it.

Thanks so much, cb31!

What you said is not cheesy at all... I also believe that everything happens for a reason and told myself the same thing when not getting accepted the first time around. And honestly this year off was literally the best thing that could have happened (I almost dont want to go back to school, lol.) .... I've grown and matured so much. You don't realize how "young" and sheltered you are when you are constantly in school and yes the break from lectures and late night studying is LOVELY! Lol.

Also, if you get a roommate Philly isn't that expensive (well depending on what you consider expensive). I too was worried about this... I have to take out loans for most of my cost of living so I obviously want it to be as cheap as possible without being in a slum. I got a roommate, found a two bed two bath for 1069 a month... which is about 500 a piece and maybe 200 for utulities... I think this is pretty cheap considering the alternatives that we looked into. I think you would have a shot at Salus. If you liked the program you should apply again (early). Your stats are really great, I would say above average.... mine was average and I got into the school!

Enjoy your year off and good luck!!

P.s. living at home isn't all that horrible... I didn't want to move back home neither. Glad I did. I saved soon much money. Haha

I would definitely need a room mate. I could never afford it on my own, plus I honestly believe I would get lonely. $700 isn't bad, I was thinking it would be closer to $1,000. Loans will definitely be a godsend. I was very fortunate in undergrad and only took $22,000 in loans that covered what scholarships didn't.

So you are going to attend Salus? Could you tell me why you personally chose that program over others? I read every word on the program websites, but it is so much better hearing it from someone else.

Thanks, I seriously need to get in this year or I am going to lose it haha

I would definitely need a room mate. I could never afford it on my own, plus I honestly believe I would get lonely. $700 isn't bad, I was thinking it would be closer to $1,000. Loans will definitely be a godsend. I was very fortunate in undergrad and only took $22,000 in loans that covered what scholarships didn't.

So you are going to attend Salus? Could you tell me why you personally chose that program over others? I read every word on the program websites, but it is so much better hearing it from someone else.

Thanks, I seriously need to get in this year or I am going to lose it haha

There are some places that would be like $1000.... The first place that my roommate told me about would have been about that amount (including utilities) and I was like UM NO!!! Lol. You have to look for the cheaper places, I can't tell you how many hours and website I looked at to find descent places. Also look early... My roommate and I signed our lease in like early April (most people won't even start to looking until May). Although not all places would know their availability that early, but they may and it won't hurt to inquire!

Anyway, I chose Salus because I looooved my interview and tour. It actually wasn't anything extra special, but it felt like a place that I could happily spend two years at. The school representatives (mainly referring to the admission conselors) are speedy in responding to emails, they answer all questions throughly, and try to help you as much as possible throughout the process. I really felt like if they care this much for a prospective student then they gotta care a lot for their current students. I didn't want to go to a program that would kinda "neglect me" once I get there. The students were also really cool and gave the vibe that they liked being there (some schools I felt like student were just happy to be in OT schools and not necessarily happy to be at their school, if that makes any sense!!). I also really like that the school was more clinical based and not research based....plus I was excited that all but one of their student passed the board on their FIRST attempt (that one student hadn't yet taken their exam at the time of my interview ...). This was their first graduating class too so obviously they are doing something right.

I am definitely looking for a hands on program. Nothing wrong with research, but it isn't exactly my cup of tea. I definitely have figured out that there is a "feeling" with some schools, either good or bad. I interviewed at one program and I literally hated almost everything about it. Yet, I had been to an interview the day before at a different program and could really see myself there. I don't expect a program to coddle me, but at the same time I need a program that is supposrtive with its students and doesn't have a competitive vibe. I know in the end I really can't be picky, but of I am investing thousands of dollars and have my future riding on a program, I want it to be something that I firmly believe in.

I have a list of ten schools right now that I need to narrow down to six. Application fees are crazy and I need to cut it off at some point. I think I will definitely be adding Salus to my "for sure" list, but I am worried they will somehow remember that I turned down an interview late last year.

I am definitely looking for a hands on program. Nothing wrong with research, but it isn't exactly my cup of tea. I definitely have figured out that there is a "feeling" with some schools, either good or bad. I interviewed at one program and I literally hated almost everything about it. Yet, I had been to an interview the day before at a different program and could really see myself there. I don't expect a program to coddle me, but at the same time I need a program that is supposrtive with its students and doesn't have a competitive vibe. I know in the end I really can't be picky, but of I am investing thousands of dollars and have my future riding on a program, I want it to be something that I firmly believe in.

I have a list of ten schools right now that I need to narrow down to six. Application fees are crazy and I need to cut it off at some point. I think I will definitely be adding Salus to my "for sure" list, but I am worried they will somehow remember that I turned down an interview late last year.
I doubt it! TBH they probably only really remember people who interviewed, if that! Anyway, Salus sounds awesome! Don't know if it's worth me taking the MAT for, though, since it's already crazy expensive. It looks like the otcas app cost went up, too!

I second Salus. It is a solid program and if you apply early you will probably get accepted. Don't be intimidated by philly. As the other poster said, it's a very reasonably city to live in, also salus is located north of the city, very close to burbs (and a bit farther out is the country), if that is your jam.
Also since you said small town, there is Misericordia or Richard Stockton in AC. Maybe check out Kean in NJ?
Towson is on the outskirts of bmore and a good program from what I hear. You will have to look into clinical vs research though.
In Harrisburg, Elizabethtown has an excellent program, as well as Springfield college (central mass), and Quinnipiac program is also worth looking into.

I doubt it! TBH they probably only really remember people who interviewed, if that! Anyway, Salus sounds awesome! Don't know if it's worth me taking the MAT for, though, since it's already crazy expensive. It looks like the otcas app cost went up, too!

I didn't take the MAT because I have already taken the GRE. I guess I would feel a lot better about a program after I visited. I think I will apply and hope I get an interview.

I second Salus. It is a solid program and if you apply early you will probably get accepted. Don't be intimidated by philly. As the other poster said, it's a very reasonably city to live in, also salus is located north of the city, very close to burbs (and a bit farther out is the country), if that is your jam.
Also since you said small town, there is Misericordia or Richard Stockton in AC. Maybe check out Kean in NJ?
Towson is on the outskirts of bmore and a good program from what I hear. You will have to look into clinical vs research though.
In Harrisburg, Elizabethtown has an excellent program, as well as Springfield college (central mass), and Quinnipiac program is also worth looking into.

I have heard good things about it. I just haven't seen it for myself so I am a little leery. I actually would have loved to apply to Towson because both of my sisters moved there. However, they require Physics and I can't take it at this point. Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will have to look into those last three.

Does Quinnipiac accept people with Bachelor's? How did you like Springfield?