Searching for Programs - Next step advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ammiller44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would love some advice about types of programs out there. I did not get into PhD programs this past year and am having a tough time finding where to go next.

I do not know what exactly I want to do as a profession, just that I want to study what I think is really really cool. My interests include neurobiology, psychopathology, neuropsychology, neuroplasticity, clinical mental health work, and anything else that connect the mental to the physical. PLUS I love working with people. That said, I applied to neuropsychology PhD programs and did not get in.

I want to find a program (masters, PsyD, whatever) that is interesting and that I could actually get into. Any suggestions? What work could I do after going through these programs?

My stats:
- BS in Cognitive Science concentration Neuroscience from UC San Diego
- Minor in Psychology
- Worked in 2 neuroscience research labs as an undergrad
- 2.5 years clinical experience in the mental health industry
- worked with therapists and was in sessions, helped create treatment plans,
conducted clinical interventions
- GRE 570 V 720 Q 4.5 AW
- 3.77 Cum Laude GPA

Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like what you mainly need is some time to figure out your interests. Have you looked into jobs that may help you narrow what you want to do? I would not recommend committing to a graduate program until you have a much clearer idea of what you want to do.