Seat Deposits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPeterman1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm compiling a list of schools in Australia and have narrowed down my list of UQ, UQ-Ochsner, Wollongong, Flinder's, Melbourne, and Griffith and listed all relevant details, but I can't find all of the seat deposit amounts. I think I found UQ to be 10,000, UQ-O to be 3K, Wollongong to be 5, and Melbourne to (possibly?) be 10, can anyone help with the others?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is from a long time ago but I thought it might help people out.

Griffith and Sydney's deposit is first semester tuition upfront.
UQ I believe is like $8000.

For all the schools, because they are counted as a postgraduate degree, you have to show a bank statement of two years of tuition for obtain the student visa to Australia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is the deposit for UQ 4 year so much more than UQ-O?

I
For all the schools, because they are counted as a postgraduate degree, you have to show a bank statement of two years of tuition for obtain the student visa to Australia.

I have never seen or heard of this. Can you explain where you got this information? I know multiple people who got student visas with less than $500 in their account.

I have never seen or heard of this. Can you explain where you got this information? I know multiple people who got student visas with less than $500 in their account.

My bad, I should've been more specific. Most medical schools in Oz let you do what's called Streamlined Visa Processing (depends on the school). Those schools that do participate in that, usually, you have to show that you can pay for at least 1 year of tuition. However, 2 years of tuition applies for certain people applying from specific countries.

For your friends who had 500 dollars in their bank, I believe they were funded by other means (loans, etc). You would need to show proof that you have at least a year's worth of tuition, along with travel money, and money to cover living costs (which they specify a value, depending on the information you enter about your origins, etc on that page. For me it said 18,000 AUD).

This is where I got the information from, while individual universities also have some information on their websites (enter your info first though and scroll wayyy down to Financial Requirements):

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/573-

"The department must be satisfied that an applicant, once in Australia, will have genuine access to the funds they claim to possess to cover the travel, tuition and living costs for themselves and their family members.

You must have enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, your partner and your dependent children for the duration of your stay in Australia.

You must:

• show proof that you can meet these financial requirements for the first 12 months of your stay in Australia.
    Note: If you have completed 75 percent of your course and are applying for a subsequent student visa, you do not need to show your savings history.
  • declare on your application that you can meet these financial requirements for the remainder of your stay in Australia."

Now, I'm not an immigrations officer or anything so I may be incorrect somewhere. But this is what I've found online.

Awesome! Thanks.

yes, my friends were funded by their governments. I wasn't though, and I don't recall ever submitting bank statements or proving income when I moved -- definitely didn't have $18,000! I think the government is pretty lax about that sort of thing. It's mostly a check box that they can use against you later if you fall short. Having a return ticket is the only thing I've ever been asked. They were more concerned with the 5lbs of Tootsie Rolls I was bringing in for my friend.

I noticed on my UQ acceptance form, that you could be refunded the deposit you paid minus $1,000 if you decide to not attend UQ at least 21 days before classes start.

UQ or UQ-O?

That was for non Ochsner, but UQ-O are also considered international students, so I believe the refund policy would be the same, but it would be worth asking about.

I'll post what I'm referring to here, as well as a refund of medical insurance.

"
6. Commencing Student Default

1. a) A commencing student who withdraws from a program:
    1. i) 21 calendar days or more before the scheduled start date of the first study period of enrolment will

be charged a cancellation fee of AUD$1000 or if the student is a UQ-Ochsner student whose written contract with the University requires payment of tuition fees in US dollars, the student will be charged US$1000; or
    2. ii) less than 21 days before the study period commences until the census date of the study period, the student will be charged a cancellation fee of AUD$3000, or if the student is UQ-Ochsner student who is required to pay tuition fees in US dollars, the student will be charged US$3000; and
    3. iii) the remainder of tuition fees paid, less any other incurred charges, will be refunded as per the provisions of Section 10.
  2. b) A student who does not commence at the University on the agreed starting day (and has not previously withdrawn):
i) will have any tuition fee deposit refunded, as per the provisions of Section 10, less a cancellation

fee of AUD$3000, or if the student is UQ-Ochsner student, less a cancellation fee of US$3000.

12. Refunds of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

1. a) OSHC Allianz Global Assistance - If a student cancels OSHC cover prior to arrival in Australia, OSHC Allianz Global Assistance will refund the OSHC amount paid. For students who cancel OSHC cover after arrival in Australia, OSHC Allianz Global Assistance will refund the OSHC amount paid, less a minimum cover of three months.
  2. b) Other healthcare providers Students who use other healthcare providers should consult their provider about refund provisions in the event of cancellation.
    "