Seat Reservation for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cangara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my first offer from a pharmacy school, and I need to reserve my seat by Feb 9th. I am still waiting for UOP and USC, interviewed on Jan 21st and 22nd, and these schools are my top choices. I am not sure if I will get other offers, and I am thinking of waiting to reserve my seat until the last minute (before feb 9th). It sucks that pharmacy schools are asking $500 deposit. I am hoping that USC or UOP will give me notifications before Feb 7th.

I don't know anything about the rules of seat reservation and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Am I allowed to reserve multiple seats from different schools? Can I extend my notification deadline to avoid paying too many deposits? If I decided not to attend the school, the school won't give back my deposit right? It sucks that we all have to pay PharmCAS and suplementary application fee, and seat reservation.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

cangara said:
Am I allowed to reserve multiple seats from different schools? Can I extend my notification deadline to avoid paying too many deposits? If I decided not to attend the school, the school won't give back my deposit right? It sucks that we all have to pay PharmCAS and suplementary application fee, and seat reservation.

Yes. Probably not but only the school can tell you that. Right. Seat reservation money should be going to tuition so you're not out of the money unless you decide not to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember I once talked to a girl that had the opportunity to extend her deadline but I think it was only by a week or two. You should definitely look into it, though.

cangara said:
Am I allowed to reserve multiple seats from different schools?

Not for the UCs.

Yes, It sucks to have to pay money for deposits etc, but $500 bucks isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things. Look at it this way, you don't reserve your seat, then by some bad luck you don't get admitted anywhere else. Instead of being out a potential $500, you miss out on making 100 grand for another year down the line.

Pay the deposit. Always reserve your first acceptance. It is only money, the feds will loan you all you need. Focus on the end result, not the shortterm loss of 500 bucks. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I am just tryingto budget my money, since I have a lot of bills (property tax, vet bill of $800, mortgage, and student and car loan). If I don't hear anything from the other two schools this week, I will definitely pay the deposit. I am thinking of calling the two schools though before Feb 9th. Is that smart?

Thanks again and good with everyone here.

Jeddevil said:
Yes, It sucks to have to pay money for deposits etc, but $500 bucks isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things. Look at it this way, you don't reserve your seat, then by some bad luck you don't get admitted anywhere else. Instead of being out a potential $500, you miss out on making 100 grand for another year down the line.

Pay the deposit. Always reserve your first acceptance. It is only money, the feds will loan you all you need. Focus on the end result, not the shortterm loss of 500 bucks. Good luck.

cangara said:
I am thinking of calling the two schools though before Feb 9th. Is that smart?

If you do, be sure to refrain from stating the REAL purpose for calling them (i.e. i need to know whether or not your school wants me so i can decide if i should pay the $500 deposit to the other school for security purposes :) )

Hey guys,

I'm in the same shoes now as the original poster of this thread: I just received an acceptance letter from University X (they might check out this web site, you never know ;) don't want them to know they are not my top choice ); but they say that they want $1000 within the next 10 days to reserve my seat. I am also missing 2 pre-requisite classes from their list, so they said that I'd have to take it over the summer and get a C or better to be in, but that's besides the point. Would you pay this pretty steep deposite? Again, it's not my top choice school; but if no other schools accept me, then that'd be bad as well (wait another year). Should I pay now, or wait and pay on the 9th day (so I might hear from other schools), or just not pay at all? What other options do I have?

Thanks

2005pharmD said:
Hey guys,

I'm in the same shoes now as the original poster of this thread: I just received an acceptance letter from University X (they might check out this web site, you never know ;) don't want them to know they are not my top choice ); but they say that they want $1000 within the next 10 days to reserve my seat. I am also missing 2 pre-requisite classes from their list, so they said that I'd have to take it over the summer and get a C or better to be in, but that's besides the point. Would you pay this pretty steep deposite? Again, it's not my top choice school; but if no other schools accept me, then that'd be bad as well (wait another year). Should I pay now, or wait and pay on the 9th day (so I might hear from other schools), or just not pay at all? What other options do I have?

Thanks
What are your chances getting into your top choice? Have you interviewed there? been waitlisted?
how devastated are you going to be if you don't get into your top choice? how about if you don't get to start at all this fall?

it is a lot of money... i don't remember how much it was to hold my spot but i think $450ish.

if it was high up on my list and i liked where it was and the curriculum then i would pay. however if its not something you really want to do then no.
i know you want to do it if you don't get into your top choice but will you be happy there??

2005pharmD said:
Hey guys,

I'm in the same shoes now as the original poster of this thread: I just received an acceptance letter from University X (they might check out this web site, you never know ;) don't want them to know they are not my top choice ); but they say that they want $1000 within the next 10 days to reserve my seat.

First of all, congrats 2005pharmD on your recent acceptance. I know that you don't want to diclose the University, but can you give a small tiny itsy bitsy clue?? Sounds like the school that I applied to and interviewed with last month (regarding $1000 deposit and given only 10 days to give an answer). Congrats once more :thumbup:

The way I see it, given the choice, I would rather "waste" $1000, than take a chance on not getting into Pharmacy school this year.

Asor said:
2005pharmD said:
Hey guys,

I'm in the same shoes now as the original poster of this thread: I just received an acceptance letter from University X (they might check out this web site, you never know ;) don't want them to know they are not my top choice ); but they say that they want $1000 within the next 10 days to reserve my seat.

First of all, congrats 2005pharmD on your recent acceptance. I know that you don't want to diclose the University, but can you give a small tiny itsy bitsy clue?? Sounds like the school that I applied to and interviewed with last month (regarding $1000 deposit and given only 10 days to give an answer). Congrats once more :thumbup:

If it's $1000 deposit, it's gotta be a private school.

bbmuffin said:
What are your chances getting into your top choice? Have you interviewed there? been waitlisted?
how devastated are you going to be if you don't get into your top choice? how about if you don't get to start at all this fall?

it is a lot of money... i don't remember how much it was to hold my spot but i think $450ish.

if it was high up on my list and i liked where it was and the curriculum then i would pay. however if its not something you really want to do then no.
i know you want to do it if you don't get into your top choice but will you be happy there??

Thanks for your response/concern bbmuffin,

I have been interviewed at my top choice; they put me on hold because of low PCAT scores and I re-took PCAT in January with better scores (which they just got today). I have a feeling I will get wait-listed at my top choice (but just a feeling). I have had interviews at other places too (places for whom I have rather similar "affinity" as this University X) and haven't heard from them yet. I will also have another interview soon. So, do I like this place? I think it's ok. But the worst case scenario would be not getting accepted to any schools this year. In other words, I'd rather get into anywhere than wait another year (am I answering my own question then by saying this? well I don't know, maybe. When you're in the midst of it, it's just really confusing to discover all options and make the best choice). But anyways, this is the situation. :confused: :cool:

I don't mind disclosing what school this is by "PM-ing" people. So Asor, check your PM out :D :) ;)

2005pharmD said:
I don't mind disclosing what school this is by "PM-ing" people. So Asor, check your PM out :D :) ;)

Thanks once more, 2005pharmD you rock... :D

I am actually on the same exact boat as you. I was interviewed at USC on Jan 22nd and got into my back-up school. I also need to reserve my seat by March 9th. Well, I have no idea what my chances are at USC, but I have talked to someone that's on the admission's committee for several years and he said that my chances of getting is pretty good although I shouldn't spend time on scholarships because I probably won't get any. But anyways, I'm going to waste $500 and save myself a spot. If I don't get into USC at least I still have a backup. But if I don't hold my spot at my back-up and I happen to not get into USC, I'll just wind up re-applying again. We all know how much Pharmcas and all the supplementary applications cost! I think it's more worth it to just waste $500 and reserve urself a spot. Hey at least you are guaranteed a seat somewhere!
cangara said:
Hi all,

I just received my first offer from a pharmacy school, and I need to reserve my seat by Feb 9th. I am still waiting for UOP and USC, interviewed on Jan 21st and 22nd, and these schools are my top choices. I am not sure if I will get other offers, and I am thinking of waiting to reserve my seat until the last minute (before feb 9th). It sucks that pharmacy schools are asking $500 deposit. I am hoping that USC or UOP will give me notifications before Feb 7th.

I don't know anything about the rules of seat reservation and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Am I allowed to reserve multiple seats from different schools? Can I extend my notification deadline to avoid paying too many deposits? If I decided not to attend the school, the school won't give back my deposit right? It sucks that we all have to pay PharmCAS and suplementary application fee, and seat reservation.

Thanks in advance.

crazyrice610 said:
I am actually on the same exact boat as you. I was interviewed at USC on Jan 22nd and got into my back-up school. I also need to reserve my seat by March 9th. Well, I have no idea what my chances are at USC, but I have talked to someone that's on the admission's committee for several years and he said that my chances of getting is pretty good although I shouldn't spend time on scholarships because I probably won't get any. But anyways, I'm going to waste $500 and save myself a spot. If I don't get into USC at least I still have a backup. But if I don't hold my spot at my back-up and I happen to not get into USC, I'll just wind up re-applying again. We all know how much Pharmcas and all the supplementary applications cost! I think it's more worth it to just waste $500 and reserve urself a spot. Hey at least you are guaranteed a seat somewhere!

Your post popped up another question in my mind that I had been thinking of a while ago, but forgot to ask: Once an applicant pays this deposit fee for seat reservation, even if the school finds another more eligible applicant (say, someone with a 4.0 GPA and 99th percentile PCAT, work experience, bacheolor's degree, etc), could the school then refund your deposit and dump/replace you for this other more eligible person? Or a deposit makes it final? Have you heard of such a thing?

Thanks

2005pharmD said:
Your post popped up another question in my mind that I had been thinking of a while ago, but forgot to ask: Once an applicant pays this deposit fee for seat reservation, even if the school finds another more eligible applicant (say, someone with a 4.0 GPA and 99th percentile PCAT, work experience, bacheolor's degree, etc), could the school then refund your deposit and dump/replace you for this other more eligible person? Or a deposit makes it final? Have you heard of such a thing?

Thanks

No. Deposits make it final unless you break a contingency (if any) that is included in your letter of acceptance.

SHOOTT!! :mad: There is another school which will let me know about my status sometime next week. The problem here is that the 10 day deadline will have just passed by next week, at which time they'll notify me. Do you think it's a good idea to tell this University who wants the $1000 deposit to wait or give me a few more days (like 15 days), so that if the other school accepts me, then I won't have lost $1000? Will it be bad if I request this, sort of, extension? What would you do? What would you exactly tell them on the phone to get the extension?

I appreciate your inputs guys.