General Admissions & OTCAS Second Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's up?
I am gonna keep this short. When I first found OT, about two years ago, I had a 2.52 GPA. That is extremely low, and most programs would not even look at me. So ever since, I've been busting my sorry butt. I got myself an associates degree as a way to close a chapter of my life and start again (i got reinstated the semester after). I am now double majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Over the past three semesters or so, I've been retaking classes I did horrible in and my GPA is a 2.73, not including this semester.

But if you include this semester:
Internship - A;
Socialization of the Child - A;
Cognitive Psychology [retake] - B+ or A
Abnormal Psychology - B;
Introduction to Sociological Theory - C+

My institutional GPA ends up being like a 2.94 (my overall GPA - which includes classes I took at the community college back home, along with the projections is a 3.08). Then all I'd have left is A&PII (also a retake) and Lifespan Development, and best case scenario, if I were to get A's in them both, my institutional would go over a 3.0 (my school has this deal with taking classes in other CCs) and my overall would be a 3.24. Now I am aware that this is all planning, but realistically I'm expecting to have a 3.1 overall when I apply in the summer. My pre-requisite GPA is like a 3.3~3.4, but like I stated earlier, I still have two pre-reqs to go. My last 60 is like a 3.5.

I have about 290 hours of shadowing done, an internship with an OT, I'm the editor for one of the sections for my school newspaper, I'm in student government, in the Sociology Honors Society, I have worked at tech support in my university for four years, at a sensory panelist lab for one, I'm a private math tutor, and I did rec sports (I was captain and champion of some of the sports we played). I am also a black male who speaks two and a half languages and was born in Brazil for all that's worth. This summer I also plan on shadowing more (make it to about 400 hours) and taking the GRE. I also have five people who want to write letters for me (the OT i'm interning under, three professors, and the editor in chief for my newspaper). Plus I have a youtube channel about OT and video-making and stuff like that is one of my favorite hobbies.

With that being said, I wanna test the waters. I started terribly, but I have a good upward trend, and I've been trying to perfect my application since my GPA isn't too hot. If everything works out, I plan on applying to UNC - Chapel Hill, Chatham (both OT and Counseling), MUSC, Western Michigan, Eastern Kentucky University, JCHS, D' Youville College, CSUDH, and Rutgers University (OTA).

Thank you all for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

anything is possible. it sounds like you already know what you need to do and how to go about it. i was accepted to a program with a 2.84 cumulative, if that helps alleviate some of your anxiety at all.

of the schools you are planning to apply to, i would say UNC - Chapel Hill would be your ultimate reach based on GPA alone, but you never know what may happen! good luck to you, you'll do fine! and do anything you can to keep that pre-req GPA as high as possible. in my opinion, even with a dismal cumulative, having a pre-req GPA as close to 4.0 as possible really helps your chances and shows programs you can be strong in the areas that count.

I think the amount of shadowing you've done and the hard work you put in to pull your grades up will get you accepted somewhere!

Can I ask why you're planning on applying to UNC? Chapel Hill is awesome (I live just down the road in Raleigh) and the program is great, but it's a tough school to get into. I'll share what my experience was like when I applied there this year, and you can decide whether or not you should apply. My GPA is a 3.4 and my prerequisite GPA is a 3.8. I taught special programs for five years in the NC public school system and did about 60 hours of shadowing OT in different settings. I didn't try very hard in college because I thought I was going to be a teacher for the rest of my life, so I worked to get a good GRE score that would show that I'm more capable than my GPA lets on. I scored well above the average GRE scores of students that are accepted into the program. There were 267 people that applied for 22 spots this year, and I didn't even get an interview.

I did, however, get accepted to the second best OT program in the state and I'll be attending East Carolina University in the fall. ECU's program is more clinically-based while UNC's program focuses more on research. I prefer a clinically-based program plus the tuition is a bit cheaper, so I'm really happy with how everything turned out.

If you want to be in NC, I'd encourage you to apply to ECU over UNC. Greenville is definitely not as cool as Chapel Hill, but you'll have a better shot at getting in and ECU has a great reputation in the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I was a big fan of UNC when I applied there for undergrad. I got in and everything, but I didn't have the funds to attend. But based on the numbers you gave me, I have about an 8% percent chance of getting accepted. Thinking better about it, I shouldn't apply there. I would apply to ECU, but I got a C in A&PI and I thought their pre-requisites had to be a B and above right?

If you got a C in A&P I then I would recommend retaking it if possible. That is one of the key classes schools look at as being indicative of the sort of thing you have to do in grad school.

I would apply to lots of schools. OTCAS makes that easier to do. As a black male, you might be a more attractive candidate to an HBCU that might want to build better relations or role models with the undergrad students. I visited Tennessee State and really liked what I saw. Very friendly and they look at more than just GPA. However, they had really bad NBCOT pass rates until they started incorporating a 2 day review class right before graduation.

Well, I was a big fan of UNC when I applied there for undergrad. I got in and everything, but I didn't have the funds to attend. But based on the numbers you gave me, I have about an 8% percent chance of getting accepted. Thinking better about it, I shouldn't apply there. I would apply to ECU, but I got a C in A&PI and I thought their pre-requisites had to be a B and above right?

Oh, that's' right! I think they just put that rule in place for the upcoming application cycle. I completely agree with CurlyHairedGirl though. If you can cram A&P I in over the summer to get rid of that C, I think your chances will improve greatly. Research teachers and pick one that gets good reviews. I think it will be worth the time, money, and effort.

One more thing that's important to know about OTCAS, while it does make it easy to apply to a lot of schools, it also increases the number of applications that those schools receive. This can greatly decrease your chances of getting in. For instance, Winston-Salem State has the lowest NBCOT pass rate and a not-so-good reputation in the state, but because they accept applications through OTCAS they had about 500 people (mostly out of state) apply. I was waitlisted there because of that, but accepted to ECU. ECU has a much better program that still manages to have higher GPA and GRE averages of the applicants it accepts even though they receive fewer applications. Seriously take into consideration the amount of people that apply to each school.

I'll bite this application cycle with a C, I'm okay with using this as a learning experience. Most of the schools I'm applying to have free applications and other fees so that's good. I'd apply to OTCAS schools, but my OTCAS GPA is horrible (I was a crappy student for two years of undergrad).

I'll chime in since I got into UNC and will be starting there in the fall. Only 6 out-of-state students are in next year's class of 22 so coming from Pennsylvania will be very difficult to get in with below avg stats. However, they are looking to increase the diversity of their students, so being a minority male (like me) will certainly help your cause. Talking with the current students, it seems like everybody has something very unique (academically-speaking) that really made them stand out. As far as ECU goes, I've heard that they have an even higher percentage of in-state students so again being out-of-state might prove challenging.

Do you all have any suggestions of non-OTCAS schools to apply to? I'll be applying to Bay Path also, and if they accept me, I'll take A&PII again over the summer coming into college.

Do you all have any suggestions of non-OTCAS schools to apply to? I'll be applying to Bay Path also, and if they accept me, I'll take A&PII again over the summer coming into college.
Is this your first time applying? I was wondering! I was denied by all of the schools I've applied too? Did you take the GRE yet??

I'm going to try and apply all over the place and hope for the best.

Is this your first time applying? I was wondering! I was denied by all of the schools I've applied too? Did you take the GRE yet??

Yeah! I think I'm going to apply to:
Chatham University, Medical University of South Carolina, Western Michigan University, Eastern Kentucky University, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Bay Path, D' Youville, CSUDH, and most likely, American International College. The plan is to get A&PII done in Summer 1, and take Lifespan Development and the GRE in Summer 2. If it doesn't work out, I'll apply again next year - hopefully with a stronger GPA.

I'm applying to WMU - but all the other schools are requiring crazy pre-reqs I don't have time to take... Thanks for your help man. My last 60 GPA is a 3.6 by the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i think the youtube channel/making videos about OT is pretty unique and makes you stand out, not to mention showcases your passion for the field. i would definitely continue that activity and highlight it in your applications as well!

Update!
The semester is now over. My overall GPA has been bumped to a 2.87 (I still have one incomplete grade - my internship, since my 11 page paper just kinda disappeared). Best case scenario, if I get an A, my GPA ends up being a 2.93 (soooooooo close). My pre-req GPA is at a 3.3-3.4 range. All I need to do is take the two classes I have left this summer, and I apply in the fall! I hope things work out.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I finalized the list of schools I'm applying to:
MUSC, Chatham (both OT and Counseling), Western Michigan, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, D' Youville College, Eastern Kentucky University, American International College, Springfield College, and University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) - Last three I'd still need to take one more pre-req (Biology, Chem, or Physics - most likely Physics).

And thanks for the support, guys! I really appreciate it :)

Last 60: 3.5
Pre-Req (depending on school): 3.3 - 3.4
Overall GPA: 2.98 (with A's on my last two - it goes to a 3.16)
Institutional GPA (as of right now): 2.87 (but I have one incomplete, and I'm taking a class that will change my institutional GPA).

Shadowing hours: 332

I would advise you to stop shadowing if you haven't already. Do you do any volunteer work? Try something which is interesting to you even if it is unrelated directly to physical dysfunction: rape crisis center? suicide prevention hotline? teaching adult students for the GED? Those are all things I did and I think they helped me to stand out.

I want to shadow one more place (either geriatrics or peds, I'd love to work with either population).

I did an internship with an Occupational Therapist in my University (my college is ranked real high nationally for services for students with disabilities), I quit my job at tech support to start working as a meal/homework aide for students with disabilities, and I have a potential research opportunity in a topic that relates to physical disability. Now, I just need to figure out how to do some interesting things that help me stand out. Thanks MOT4ME!

Those shadowing hours are amazing and show your passion! With your last 60 units gpa, you'll get in somewhere :)
Thanks 10ninja! I hope so too. I wish I had tried harder from the beginning. But what is done is done :/
But my fingers are crossed!

Yet another update!
I've started taking both A&PI and Lifespan Development. I currently have an 82% in A&P and an A in Lifespan Development. Anatomy is almost over (three weeks left), but Lifespan Development isn't over until the end of July. My goal in A&P is at least a B+ (which is an 85).

Also, I got a shadowing gig for both a nursing home (geriatrics) and a kids therapy center. They said that they would both let me shadow as much as I want. And I plan on taking the GRE in the end of August (paid for the spot), and I also decided to apply to schools in waves.

So in September, I'm applying to: JCHS, Davenport University, American International College, Husson University, University of Wisconsin - LaCrosse, and Chatham University (for Counseling).

Then in December, after the semester is over (and my grades have been updated): Western Michigan University, D' Youville College, Eastern Kentucky University, and University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. Hopefully, it all works out.

Last edited:
I also decided to apply to schools in waves.

So in September, I'm applying to: JCHS, Davenport University, American International College, Husson University, University of Wisconsin - LaCrosse, and Chatham University (for Counseling).

Then in December, after the semester is over (and my grades have been updated): Western Michigan University, D' Youville College, Eastern Kentucky University, and University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. Hopefully, it all works out.

I think it is smart to apply in waves. I applied to some rolling schools early on, and it was nice to know where I stood with them before applying other places. Plus, if you get into a rolling school you like, you can save money by skipping later applications that you don't need.

Yeah, JCHS is rolling. WMU is too, but I feel like if I do well in this Fall semester, I can apply in December since they look at the last 60. I hope I can get in. My GPA isn't too hot but I have so much experience that hopefully I can make up for it.

You might want to apply to D'Youville earlier, maybe in September or October. I applied in October, was accepted in the beginning of December and there were only a few (I think six?) spots left cause a lot of students who applied early already sent their deposits to secure their spots. It's a free application anyways, so the earlier the better. Good luck with the process! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere :)

I might just apply... I mean, you're right - it IS a free application. My university adjusted my GPA and I have a 3.02 right now. I'm excited.

You might want to apply to D'Youville earlier, maybe in September or October. I applied in October, was accepted in the beginning of December and there were only a few (I think six?) spots left cause a lot of students who applied early already sent their deposits to secure their spots. It's a free application anyways, so the earlier the better. Good luck with the process! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere :)

So I took a year off of OT. I decided to apply this year.
Here are my current stats:
Overall GPA: 3.18 (I really tried)
Pre-Requisite GPA: 3.2 - 3.5 (depends on the school)
Last 60 GPA: 3.5
Currently retaking Abnormal Psychology AND I'm taking Biology I.

Last edited:
Any update?

I'm applying this summer. I never got around to applying because I talked to my advisor in undergrad and she told me I was rushing things. I took a job as a rehab tech in which I have amassed over 900 hours of experience, presented my research in some conferences, and took classes - got 5 A's and 2 B's. I am taking one more class in the summer, and I will start applying shortly after. I have been contacting schools in the mean time to have them assess my app and they said I am competitive. I'm at about a 3.3

PM me, I will answer any of your questions.

Reactions: 1 user