Second Looks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blutie202

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they helpful? Recommended?

I've also heard that they can hurt you since programs are so swamped in late-Winter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

definitely if you can squeeze it in. it shows interest from you and to see beyond the interview process. plus it's a chance to meet residents and form a bond in your limited time....and that can make/break you.

it can only hurt if you're not very personable and/or make a bad impression.

Most places will say second looks have no bearing on match decisions from the residency's perspective. It is just for you if you need to take a closer look at a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most places will say second looks have no bearing on match decisions from the residency's perspective. It is just for you if you need to take a closer look at a program.
Agree.
Little chance this will do anything to help your application.
It may help you with your rank list if you didn't get a feel for the program.

Exactly - second looks are a chance for YOU, the applicant, to confirm your interest in a program. It's a chance to see a bit more of the program while they're not pulling out all the stops for you on interview day. To make it worthwhile, go to one or two (or none, if you don't need to) places, try to hang out with residents as much as possible, and try to do some shadowing for a shift with a senior resident.

A second look day should never change a programs opinion of you, barring extreme instances. IMHO.

True, and programs seem to all say as much. But I don't think you should underestimate the importance of staying on the radar - it may not affect their opinion of you, but it might help them remember how much you impressed them on interview day, especially if you only met them for 20 minutes three months ago. When they're making their rank list they definitely have a clearer recollection of the people from interviews in January than those from October and November.

I think it's definitely worth it to show face at your top picks if you interviewed early and didn't rotate there.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly - second looks are a chance for YOU, the applicant, to confirm your interest in a program. It's a chance to see a bit more of the program while they're not pulling out all the stops for you on interview day. To make it worthwhile, go to one or two (or none, if you don't need to) places, try to hang out with residents as much as possible, and try to do some shadowing for a shift with a senior resident.

A second look day should never change a programs opinion of you, barring extreme instances. IMHO.

it's not as one sided as one would think. I think that's where a huge misconception is taught, that the 2nd looks is just for the applicant. sure it's a chance for you to see the daily grind with the personalities that go along with that but anytime a candidate interacts with a residency program it forms an impression on both parties. when you walked in and first spoke with the secretary were you polite or a total douchebag? secretaries don't look at board scores or analyze your clinical grades so there's no real input (ha!) but I bet you gave the best impression possible. it's job interview etiquette 101.

it's no different with second looks or the dinner . when you get feedback from other staff/residents regarding ms4 x it'll be "yeah he stopped by our pod on a second look, seemed nice, easy to chat with, even helped me translate" vs "totally pathologic, all he did was sit in the corner and stared. didn't ask a single question". I am sure applicants form the same type of opinions on residents/attendings. when I did post interview questionnaires after the match, I've heard various comments and felt the same doing my second looks

getting the interview just means you hopped over a written demographic so on paper you look good. it's hard to form concrete opinions in a 15-30 min interview. that additional face time can change opinions one way or another. regardless of how good you are on paper, chances are slim to none if the programs' 1st impression or 2nd (look) of you was bad....and slim just left town. so good luck and put on a good face

jessica freedman on sdn just emailed this regarding second looks:

Even though residency programs often state that second looks do not affect rankings, I still think second looks provide an opportunity to meet other faculty and residents who can put in a “good word” for you and thus influence your candidacy. It is your job, if you do a second look, to make sure the program director is aware. Consider stopping by the program director’s office during your second look to say hello. If this is not possible, after the second look, send the program director an email to express your interest in the program and that your second look helped confirm this interest. Also mention whom you met during the second look.
However, doing second looks after programs rank applicants will not impact your ranking. Programs typically rank applicants by the second week of February so, if you are considering a second look, do them now!
Visit: MedEdits

don't sell short the value of time well spent

Just came from meeting with the people making the rank list at my hospital. And while it wasn't specifically discussed, it was heavily implied that people who come for a second look will have their file re-examined with the residents who are on shift that day so that they can move them up or down based on how they interacted with the residents.

is that for sure going to happen? No. But it was implied, and I'll see if it actually happens once people start taking second looks.

So I agree with the above.