Second thoughts on a school I've been accepted to...Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freemds

Attending fed up with CMGs
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was only accepted to one school but its in Detroit (Wayne St.) and after interviewing there my wife and I are thinking that we might not want to go there (crime, very expensive, cold, wasn't too impressed with the school, etc). I have a lot of research, clinical exp with handicapped indiv, a 32 on mcat, and a 3.6 GPA. I feel that I could have been accepted to more schools but I was a late applicant due to retaking the MCAT. So does anyone have any advice on whether I should turn down Wayne St. and reapply, or any advise on Wayne St. in general? I hear it looks really bad to turn down an acceptance when its your only one.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you've already posted this in the reapplicant thread. So here's the deal again:

You're lucky you got into any school, and if you really want to be a doctor then you'll go to Wayne. Don't feel like you're entitled to any acceptances to any med school-- there's a guy in the pre-allo forum who is standing empty handed who scored a 38 on the mcat and has gpa of 3.89. And need I mention Wiggy?

Rescinding an acceptance and reapplying next year is a big red flag to admissions that you're not really dedicated to becoming a doctor. It's only four years, Detroit can't be that bad, Wayne is a good school, and med school is basically med school regardless of where you go.

Make sure you go into this with the right attitude, though. If you go in thinking that "I could have done better, I deserve a better school than this..." then you're going to be miserable and so is your wife. You're sitting pretty with an acceptance in your hand, a piece of paper some 17,000 other kids would kill for. So enjoy your application success and put things into perspective

silas2642 said:
Dude, you've already posted this in the reapplicant thread. So here's the deal again:

For this reason, your thread might be closed down. You got some sound suggestions in the Re-Applicants forum (at least, I'd like to think so). I get the feeling, however, that you're not hearing what you want to hear. So my new advice to you is to go for it. Drop Wayne State and re-apply. Someone who really wants to be there will be very grateful to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
ljh55 said:
So I was only accepted to one school but its in Detroit (Wayne St.) and after interviewing there my wife and I are thinking that we might not want to go there (crime, very expensive, cold, wasn't too impressed with the school, etc). I have a lot of research, clinical exp with handicapped indiv, a 32 on mcat, and a 3.6 GPA. I feel that I could have been accepted to more schools but I was a late applicant due to retaking the MCAT. So does anyone have any advice on whether I should turn down Wayne St. and reapply, or any advise on Wayne St. in general? I hear it looks really bad to turn down an acceptance when its your only one.

Bear in mind that a 32 as a retake isn't regarded the same as a 32 the first time out. Be happy you got in -- congrats. There are worse places in the world than Detroit.

ljh55 said:

Why do people always give their GPA and scores when they ask these questions? Does it really bear any relevance on whether or not you want to live in Detroit?

Why not contact some M1s there and learn about their experiences? I'd spend the money to visit and see where people live and what they have to say. You might have a more complete picture if you ask present students rather than rely on your own impressions.

bugmenot said:
Why do people always give their GPA and scores when they ask these questions? Does it really bear any relevance on whether or not you want to live in Detroit?

I assumed he was trying to suggest he should have gotten into someplace better, had his app been more timely, and thinks he doesn't belong in D-troit.

Law2Doc said:
Bear in mind that a 32 as a retake isn't regarded the same as a 32 the first time out. Be happy you got in -- congrats. There are worse places in the world than Detroit.

Ooh, I didn't even pick up on the fact that it was a retake.

You know, when I see these threads of, "I'm great and I should have gotten into a better school but I didn't so should I rescind my acceptance?" all I can think is, "are you crazy? No way, you go where you're accepted because at the end of the day a physician is a physician and who cares where the hell you got your degree?" But then I realize, that these people should do whatever they want to-- if they want to let their seat go, then fine, at least it will go to someone who really wants it.

ljh55 said:
I hear it looks really bad to turn down an acceptance when its your only one.

Geeze, most people would give up a lot just to be accepted to one medical school. Count your blessings, goto med school, and become a doctor. Your acceptance to the school you applied to is keeping somebody else that wants to attend from going. Sorry to be harsh, but come on...you got into med school!

Just wondering why you applied this particular school if you knew that you may not be happy there?

silas2642 said:
But then I realize, that these people should do whatever they want to-- if they want to let their seat go, then fine, at least it will go to someone who really wants it.

You're probably right, but I keep feeling compelled to try and shake some sense into these prople. At the end of the day, they can obviously disregard good advice and follow the bad. :cool:

RAD11 said:
Just wondering why you applied this particular school if you knew that you may not be happy there?

I hate that people ask this on every one of these threads. He said it wasn't until "after the interview" that he decided these things. Let it go. Next time read the post before you reply and don't ask inane questions.

RAD11 said:
I think this is the important message here. Do some BASIC research about the schools that you are applying to. You say that you don't want to go to Detroit because of the cost of living, the weather, and the crime. All of these bits of information could have been researched and discovered BEFORE you wasted time and money applying there.

To make a general rule from this specific poster's case. Do not apply to a school unless you would happily go there if no other school accepted you. Period.

To the OP - if you want to be a doctor - go to Wayne State. Your stats are average, and nothing more than everybody else that is applying. Only half of the people applying actually get an acceptance. It is only four years - you can hang for four years.

SaturdayDwarf said:
I hate that people ask this on every one of these threads. He said it wasn't until "after the interview" that he decided these things.

He didn't know there was crime in Detroit until after the interview? Or that it was cold there??? :laugh:

Law2Doc said:
He didn't know there was crime in Detroit until after the interview? Or that it was cold there??? :laugh:
LOL.. I beat you Law2Doc.. I just said the same thing.

Can you try deferring a year at Wayne State? That way, you can reapply to other schools and see if you can get in. If not, you still have your spot at Wayne State.

Hassler said:
Can you try deferring a year at Wayne State? That way, you can reapply to other schools and see if you can get in. If not, you still have your spot at Wayne State.

Most schools will not allow you to apply elsewhere while you're holding a deferral. There are exceptions to this, but I don't know if Wayne State is one of them.

you can re-send whatever PM you sent before that could not be delivered

Maybe there are people out there who are absolutly in love with everything about where they are going to Med School, I am not one of them either. I got into a number of schools, some of them ranked very high, some of the ones that I liked better were ranked very low. As much as none of us believe this, I don't think ranking really matter in the long run. I was accepted to schools in the most urban of places and the most rural of places and I can give you a list of reasons why I don't like all of them. When I think about it though, I can also find as many good things about each of them too. I am still having trouble deciding, I just want to say that you should really consider where you think you could go instead, and then think about if maybe you wouldn't find just as many things wrong with where ever that place might be. I wouldn't encourage you to settle, but think about what you could be throwing away if you make a mistake, it might not only be a year of you life, it could be your career. Read the complaints by waitlisters, and read their stats, a lot of them are higher than me, a lot of them are higher than you. There is some dice work in who gets in, be very very careful how many times you think you can role a 7 or 11.

Trail Boss said:
Maybe there are people out there who are absolutly in love with everything about where they are going to Med School, I am not one of them either. I got into a number of schools, some of them ranked very high, some of the ones that I liked better were ranked very low. As much as none of us believe this, I don't think ranking really matter in the long run. I was accepted to schools in the most urban of places and the most rural of places and I can give you a list of reasons why I don't like all of them. When I think about it though, I can also find as many good things about each of them too. I am still having trouble deciding, I just want to say that you should really consider where you think you could go instead, and then think about if maybe you wouldn't find just as many things wrong with where ever that place might be. I wouldn't encourage you to settle, but think about what you could be throwing away if you make a mistake, it might not only be a year of you life, it could be your career. Read the complaints by waitlisters, and read their stats, a lot of them are higher than me, a lot of them are higher than you. There is some dice work in who gets in, be very very careful how many times you think you can role a 7 or 11.

Fantastic post. :thumbup: I would rate it a 9.0 on a scale of 10.0. This is because the Premed is strong in me, and I sensed a disturbance in the Force when I saw the typo in the last sentence ("roll", as in rofl).