Second Timer Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josie1554

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else applying a second time and feeling more nervous than the first time that they applied? I am feeling less optimistic this time. I wish the economy had improved more this year.

On another note, what are other second timers planning to do different for their interviews?

I need to practice better ways of talking about my research interests.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just preparing by reading about past interview questions and how to answer them. I also made a point to start interactions with professors since the summer before applying again.

My interview is this week. I'm so nervous!

I did not get into the school I wanted to this year and will be applying again next year. I get the impression that this happens frequently. I do feel a bit better though, knowing that I am not the only one!

Best of luck to you! Second times a charm?!? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my second time around with the same school. I don't know if I feel more nervous or not. I know that this time last year I was freaking out big time, and so far I've kept my cool (though I can feel the nerves rising a little bit every day!) I'll be getting my master's degree this spring, so I guess I feel a little more qualified than last year, and therefore less nervous? Even so, I'll definitely be jittery when February comes around and they start extending interview invites!
Good luck to all of you other second timers out there!

I applied last year as well, except I didn't get any interviews. I have my very first interview this Friday and I am pretty damn nervous. It is my only interview invite thus far too, so added pressure there. I am reading papers by my POI and reviewing questions that might be asked. I think I just need to get my nerves under control.

i did a lot of things wrong last year, so I have hopefully corrected most of them this year.

i did a lot of things wrong last year, so I have hopefully corrected most of them this year.

LOL! i love this response, its like the PC way of saying I f***ed up last year and I am not going to f*** up this year :)

well said.

Deadmau5, What types of things do you think that you did right last year? "wrong" last year? How do you plan to do things differently this year?

... lol, I practically didn't do anything right. This year, I grabbed the Insider's Guide and was mesmerized by how wrong I went about things.

- didn't email profs to make sure they were taking students. DON'T EVER TRUST THE WEBSITE, unless it actually says "not taking students for __-__ year" right beside their name or somewhere that looks like it has been updated.
- didn't have enough research experience (0 pubs, now I have 2 in process and gained a ton of experience in the meantime, and practical experience)
- LORs - only 1 was from an actual professor, 2 others were just supervisors
- didn't have my marks from 4th year yet, so all they saw was my first-third year marks, of which my first year were low, second was the best, third was okay.
- didn't know what program I wanted: applied to neuroscience, clinical psychology, and experimental psychology
- my interests were WAY too varied I put everything from sleep, neurotransmitters, animal models, to depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, OCD and OCD-related disorders - way to many things!
- applied to top schools/really competitive schools when I was not a top applicant: Ann Arbor, Princeton, Ottawa, UWO, UWaterloo, all these Ontario schools (Ontario is SUPER-competitive right now).

@Psych Dork: I didn't get invited to an interview either, I just got wait listed. :| Coincidentally, Psych Dork, have you found it harder to focus and absorb the materials you're reading published by your POI? Mine actually sent me some to read, and I can't hardly focus on them to feel like I'm prepared! Any tips on how to overcome that?

I was a re-apply last year. I was wait-listed and never accepted the first time around. I am now extremely happy in my first choice program. Be confident and sell yourself, without being obnoxious. If you're reapplying to the same programs, don't ignore that fact--tell them where you feel you went wrong and how you've improved. Best of luck!

@Psych Dork: I didn't get invited to an interview either, I just got wait listed. :| Coincidentally, Psych Dork, have you found it harder to focus and absorb the materials you're reading published by your POI? Mine actually sent me some to read, and I can't hardly focus on them to feel like I'm prepared! Any tips on how to overcome that?

That is so funny, cuz I totally feel that way. I have been trying to read some articles for a few weeks now. I read part of one today... I am thinking it will give me something to do on the flight...

is there a limit to the amount of times you can apply to a program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to my knowledge, though I can imagine that after a few years of rejection you might decide to change your goals a bit. I read of at least one person on the board here who applied three times to a school, and they eventually got accepted, so there then is a credit to persistence.

On a different note, does any one know anything about renewing an application when you reapply? Does that just mean that they keep your old information from the last year and reuse it for the present? Do you think it has any bearing on likelihood of being considered for acceptance? I'm just curious since that's what I wound up doing this year (after updating documents and personal statements, etc.)

is there a limit to the amount of times you can apply to a program?

I've heard of a few programs that recommend you don't reapply to them if you've been rejected previously. They usually state this on their site. Others "strongly discourage" you from reapplying unless there were significant changes in your application from one application cycle to the next. Of course, this leaves open some room for interpretation as to what is considered "significant."

If you have concerns, always best to ask.

Not to my knowledge, though I can imagine that after a few years of rejection you might decide to change your goals a bit. I read of at least one person on the board here who applied three times to a school, and they eventually got accepted, so there then is a credit to persistence.

On a different note, does any one know anything about renewing an application when you reapply? Does that just mean that they keep your old information from the last year and reuse it for the present? Do you think it has any bearing on likelihood of being considered for acceptance? I'm just curious since that's what I wound up doing this year (after updating documents and personal statements, etc.)

I applied to the same school, but different area. Basically, they use whatever you want them to use again. I had them keep my GRE scores (which saved me $20). However, I had to resend transcripts and pay the fee. Depends on the school though.

I was a re-apply last year. I was wait-listed and never accepted the first time around. I am now extremely happy in my first choice program. Be confident and sell yourself, without being obnoxious. If you're reapplying to the same programs, don't ignore that fact--tell them where you feel you went wrong and how you've improved. Best of luck!

+1, reapplying my second year was in the grand scheme of things the best thing that ever happened to me as well.

I am now in a program with a 90k per year stipend, excellent professors, and a phenomenal long term career nicely packaged up and delivered to me.

I would have never had this opportunity had I gotten accepted elsewhere my first time around.

Mark

+1, reapplying my second year was in the grand scheme of things the best thing that ever happened to me as well.

I am now in a program with a 90k per year stipend, excellent professors, and a phenomenal long term career nicely packaged up and delivered to me.

I would have never had this opportunity had I gotten accepted elsewhere my first time around.

Mark

90k per year!? What? You get paid $90,000 a year to complete your PhD? I don't know if I am being ignorant or if talking about money is faux pas, but I thought that most schools give about ~$20,000.

90k per year!? What? You get paid $90,000 a year to complete your PhD? I don't know if I am being ignorant or if talking about money is faux pas, but I thought that most schools give about ~$20,000.

Ditto! I've heard of a few post-docs paying that much, but nothing between here and there with that kind of money. Tempts me to ask WHAT program you're in. ; )

We all (or anyone else who's applying) just have to be a little bit more optimistic! Granted, it can be tough if you have a few factors working against you, but it doesn't hurt to keep a little bit of room for hope, right?

I am ok with talking about the money... Some find it distasteful. Anyone can look up military pay.

Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.

Civilian Slots have a $29k per year stipend and full tuition remission (including fees), NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

Military slots pay from $60k per year and up depending on experience. An absolute newbie with 0 years of experience will make about $60k per year, some students pull down in excess of $100k per year. I was enlisted in the USAF about 10 years ago, and that time counts towards my current pay. A large portion of my pay is tax exempt (roughly $30k).

So yes, I am getting paid $90k a year to get my Ph.D. but it comes with strings that most psychology students find unacceptable. I have to wear a uniform to class, I have to attend a military APA accredited internship site, and I have to serve for 7 years (as a military clinical psychologist) after I finish my Ph.D. program.

There are pro's and con's to this. For those who enjoy military service, this is a phenomenal program and yes, it can be very enjoyable and rewarding. Although it can be as frustrating as any graduate program, I also feel like I won the lottery getting into the program as well.

Mark

I've been really happy with the results this time around for me and thankful of course. How are the other "second timers" doing?

I've been really happy with the results this time around for me and thankful of course. How are the other "second timers" doing?

I'm actually a 3rd timer!! This is my last time applying-so this is it! For me personally, it has tougher each year. Just anxiously waiting to hear back.

I assume s/he sent you some journal articles they wrote, so I would break they down much like you would an article on a topic area with which you are unfamiliar. I would read the abstract and then probably skim through the introduction to get an idea of the related factors, and then I'd want to check out the discussion section. Don't get weighed down too much in the details at first, then when you have a grasp on the topic area and what they examined, then you can go through the design and methodology stuff and fill in the blanks.

So yes, I am getting paid $90k a year to get my Ph.D. but it comes with strings that most psychology students find unacceptable. I have to wear a uniform to class, I have to attend a military APA accredited internship site, and I have to serve for 7 years (as a military clinical psychologist) after I finish my Ph.D. program.

Mark

Wow, none of that would bother me. And that's a lot more mullah you're getting. Which is appropriate considering the military aspect and I think the military deserves perks considering their role in the country and all. Hmm.

This is my second time applying this year. Unfortunately, I did not receive any invites this year. Last year, I had five interviews and two acceptances. But after visiting the Universities, I did not feel those schools were a good fit for me and decided to hold off a year. I also thought i would hold out for better economy too. but i guess it's back to the drawing board. Better luck next year!

Yeah, my first time around I applied to 12 schools and received two interviews and got wai-listed to both places and did not get in. This time, I applied to 10 schools and receieved 5 interviews! I'm already waitlisted to one and have one offer of admission. I think I learned a lot from the first time I applied and carefully chose schools this time around where I find myself a good "fit."

Congratulations to all who have gotten interviews the second time around! Persistence pays off :)

It seems like many people learned that fit is the most important issue to consider when applying to programs. Tailoring your SoP and emphasizing how your interests and experience match the POI’s is really important.

Anyone wondering what they might do if there is a third time around? I'm not really sure what's left to do.

I'm honestly going to apply again. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple more schools, but I doubt anything is going to happen. There are still a couple of weeks left for some invites to occur.

This is what I want to do, it's just taking a hell of a long time to get in. Then again, only 23, if I do get in, I think I can do it within 6 years (M+PHD) so I'll be 30 when done. I could do Psychiatry, but that's not the same, I feel. Plus, there are always talks about improving prescribing methods for clinical psychologists.

I'm thinking of really maximizing my application for the third time. This is all I've been thinking about the past few weeks - what else I can do. (Only taking 2 courses right now, so bored like hell). My grades are not the greatest, so I'll take another 5 half courses in the summer to raise the GPA for my last 25 courses to 3.7 - that puts me in the A- range.

Also a thesis. in the Summer as soon as i finish exams. Maybe another project at my placement at the hospital. they actually have a funded summer program that looks really good. Will be asking my supervisor this week or so.

Getting my CV critiqued and taking a workshop for SoP writing.
Not applying to the U.S. - I think it's a waste of time for Canadians, esp. if you don't have really high marks and amazing experience. Personally applied to 5 U.S. schools, not one has even sent me any kind of update. Waste of $500 right there that I could have used to apply to more Canadian schools.

It really sucks b/c I felt this time I did a good job showing that I am good enough - I have 2 pubs, over 3 years experience. My references all commented that I am a great researcher. I applied based on good matches. Grades are pretty good - not the best, but I explained that I was really passionate, hardworking, and that I've always had a part-time job or volunteering on the side.

The only thing I fear is not getting in AGAIN and that competition will be even stiffer next year. So I'll be applying to other programs as a backup this time.

I'm honestly going to apply again. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple more schools, but I doubt anything is going to happen. There are still a couple of weeks left for some invites to occur.

This is what I want to do, it's just taking a hell of a long time to get in. Then again, only 23, if I do get in, I think I can do it within 6 years (M+PHD) so I'll be 30 when done. I could do Psychiatry, but that's not the same, I feel. Plus, there are always talks about improving prescribing methods for clinical psychologists.

I'm thinking of really maximizing my application for the third time. This is all I've been thinking about the past few weeks - what else I can do. (Only taking 2 courses right now, so bored like hell). My grades are not the greatest, so I'll take another 5 half courses in the summer to raise the GPA for my last 25 courses to 3.7 - that puts me in the A- range.

Also a thesis. in the Summer as soon as i finish exams. Maybe another project at my placement at the hospital. they actually have a funded summer program that looks really good. Will be asking my supervisor this week or so.

Getting my CV critiqued and taking a workshop for SoP writing.
Not applying to the U.S. - I think it's a waste of time for Canadians, esp. if you don't have really high marks and amazing experience. Personally applied to 5 U.S. schools, not one has even sent me any kind of update. Waste of $500 right there that I could have used to apply to more Canadian schools.

It really sucks b/c I felt this time I did a good job showing that I am good enough - I have 2 pubs, over 3 years experience. My references all commented that I am a great researcher. I applied based on good matches. Grades are pretty good - not the best, but I explained that I was really passionate, hardworking, and that I've always had a part-time job or volunteering on the side.

The only thing I fear is not getting in AGAIN and that competition will be even stiffer next year. So I'll be applying to other programs as a backup this time.

To which programs are you applying? I have no pubs, but got 2 interviews and a waitlist... I've heard some ppl say that maybe they didn't get in because their transcripts only had 3 yrs on them instead of all 4. But I'm graduating in 3 yrs, so when I applied, they only had 4 semesters of college on them... I didn't apply to the "elite" programs... I applied to places that I had an interest in the faculty's research, and where my GREs indicated I had a shot...

Yeah, my first time around I applied to 12 schools and received two interviews and got wai-listed to both places and did not get in. This time, I applied to 10 schools and receieved 5 interviews! I'm already waitlisted to one and have one offer of admission. I think I learned a lot from the first time I applied and carefully chose schools this time around where I find myself a good "fit."

This is my first time. I applied to 8, 2 interviews- waitlisted at one, still need to hear from the other but assuming waitlist.
I'm an older applicant and I did apply based on fit. Any tips if I end up applying next year? I don't know what else I can do.

This is my first time. I applied to 8, 2 interviews- waitlisted at one, still need to hear from the other but assuming waitlist.
I'm an older applicant and I did apply based on fit. Any tips if I end up applying next year? I don't know what else I can do.

An older applicant. You make it sound like you're getting ready for retirement. LOL

I believe I remember you saying that you applied to only top schools, so IF you don't get in anywhere--and I do say IF--you may want to apply to a few safety schools next year.

An older applicant. You make it sound like you're getting ready for retirement. LOL

I believe I remember you saying that you applied to only top schools, so IF you don't get in anywhere--and I do say IF--you may want to apply to a few safety schools next year.

Ha. No retirement yet, no rest for the wicked ;)

I think you are right, I need to expand my school list. good memory!

I am interested in a faculty position eventually so school rank is somewhat important but there are other things I could probably be more flexible about.

thank you!

I am interested in a faculty position eventually so school rank is somewhat important but there are other things I could probably be more flexible about.

thank you!

Another thing you might want to think about is explaining "why" you are applying as an older applicant--why switch careers mid-life, in other words? Make sure you convey this convincingly, yet concisely, to programs. It can be done, of course--my current PI used to be a nun, for one--but I do think it's an additional hurdle to clear. I really hope you get in this cycle, though! :)

What program have you been waitlisted at, out of curiosity? Feel free to PM.

Good luck! :luck:

To which programs are you applying? I have no pubs, but got 2 interviews and a waitlist... I've heard some ppl say that maybe they didn't get in because their transcripts only had 3 yrs on them instead of all 4. But I'm graduating in 3 yrs, so when I applied, they only had 4 semesters of college on them... I didn't apply to the "elite" programs... I applied to places that I had an interest in the faculty's research, and where my GREs indicated I had a shot...

ClinPsy Programs. I did my research, I really thought I picked some really good "match" schools. Even when I emailed profs, they encouraged me to apply (I did actually send CVs with my gpa on them). But I'm guessing they base it more on marks than anything else, which is why I'm not getting anything. Also I didn't get my master's funding which would have been reallllly good.

I'm technically 5th year... I've already got my Hon B.Sc. last year and I'm just taking more courses so I don't die of boredom. I work part-time and I volunteer at my two placements. So my full transcript is there - they probably just don't like what they are seeing.

Whatever, nothing has ever worked out the first/second time for me anyways. Just another test of my character, perserverance, and patience. I'm still going to try again. I feel like emailing some of the directors of schools that I applied to for more guidance on what they are looking for.

ClinPsy Programs. I did my research, I really thought I picked some really good "match" schools. Even when I emailed profs, they encouraged me to apply (I did actually send CVs with my gpa on them). But I'm guessing they base it more on marks than anything else, which is why I'm not getting anything. Also I didn't get my master's funding which would have been reallllly good.

I'm technically 5th year... I've already got my Hon B.Sc. last year and I'm just taking more courses so I don't die of boredom. I work part-time and I volunteer at my two placements. So my full transcript is there - they probably just don't like what they are seeing.

Whatever, nothing has ever worked out the first/second time for me anyways. Just another test of my character, perserverance, and patience. I'm still going to try again. I feel like emailing some of the directors of schools that I applied to for more guidance on what they are looking for.

Would a MA/MS program be an option? In some cases (not sure about Canadian programs), that can help off-set a lowish GPA.

2 of the profs (one psych, one soc) at my undergrad were teenaged moms. One started school again in her 30's. Now they're both Ph. Ds. Nothing is impossible.

thank you!

I agree with futureapppsy2.

They way you talk about being an "older" applicant sounds almost apologetic. There are many strengths to being an older applicant. I definitely agree with you that many straight-out-of-college applicants are stellar. But, you have some strengths that the vast majority of them could not possibly have because you have more life experience.

Diversity goes beyond ethnicity and race. Many solid programs want to have a very diverse group of students, including a diversity of ages. Capitalize on your life experience (in addition to whatever research and clinical experience you have).

I also chose POIs who were at least my age. IMO, I had a better shot with older POIs because I think many younger POIs would be uncomfortable mentoring an older student. Now, of course, I could just be projecting. : )

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here... but I needed a place to vent... as well as see if anything like this has happened to any one else.

As background, let me say that I assist HR on high-level interviews quite frequently at my place of employment (top-notch firm in the DC area working with govt. contracts) - in the past 6 months I've been one of the interviewers on at least 30 6-8 hour interview days (so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about! haha).

So on to my gripe...

I went to interview at a school that was 2nd tier on my list but I was surprisingly impressed with the program. I had 3 interviews with POIs. The first was great (easy flow of convo, the POI seemed genuinely interested, but kept the language professional/giving nothing away) - nothing really to do cartwheels over but enough to feel pretty decent about. It's the other two that really troubled me.

I go out of my way to watch my language when I do interviews. I will not use language that would lead an interviewee to ever assume "they have it in the bag"... everything is instead framed hypothetically... "IF you come here" or "I see where you COULD...". Get my point? But these final interviewers definitely didn't follow that idea. The second in line, went on and on about how excited they were to meet ME (shouldn't it be the other way around? haha), how great of a fit they saw b/w my experience and their current work, even comments like "you are going to excel in this program!" The last interviewer was even worse. They went on and on about how my resume was the best they'd seen in the whole applicant pool, how well I'd fit in, and how they had put themselves on my interview list because THEY were really interested in working with me and utilizing my experience even though I didn't list them as a POI. Needless to say I left feeling confident... slightly freaked out and actually a tiny bit uncomfortable in the interviews... but confident. I even received emails from one of the professors thanking ME for coming, and another that replied to my thank you letter with more unnecessary praise and more "false hope language."

Acceptances went out and I didn't get one. I contact my POI who confirmed I was not on the list.

What gives? It almost felt like lies or a game of some sort. I know that programs are in turn trying to sell them selvs to the applicants - but this was like used-car-salesman-crazy!

Anyone else get bizarrely OVERLY positive interview feedback but no follow-through?

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here... but I needed a place to vent... as well as see if anything like this has happened to any one else.

As background, let me say that I assist HR on high-level interviews quite frequently at my place of employment (top-notch firm in the DC area working with govt. contracts) - in the past 6 months I've been one of the interviewers on at least 30 6-8 hour interview days (so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about! haha).

So on to my gripe...

I went to interview at a school that was 2nd tier on my list but I was surprisingly impressed with the program. I had 3 interviews with POIs. The first was great (easy flow of convo, the POI seemed genuinely interested, but kept the language professional/giving nothing away) - nothing really to do cartwheels over but enough to feel pretty decent about. It's the other two that really troubled me.

I go out of my way to watch my language when I do interviews. I will not use language that would lead an interviewee to ever assume "they have it in the bag"... everything is instead framed hypothetically... "IF you come here" or "I see where you COULD...". Get my point? But these final interviewers definitely didn't follow that idea. The second in line, went on and on about how excited they were to meet ME (shouldn't it be the other way around? haha), how great of a fit they saw b/w my experience and their current work, even comments like "you are going to excel in this program!" The last interviewer was even worse. They went on and on about how my resume was the best they'd seen in the whole applicant pool, how well I'd fit in, and how they had put themselves on my interview list because THEY were really interested in working with me and utilizing my experience even though I didn't list them as a POI. Needless to say I left feeling confident... slightly freaked out and actually a tiny bit uncomfortable in the interviews... but confident. I even received emails from one of the professors thanking ME for coming, and another that replied to my thank you letter with more unnecessary praise and more "false hope language."

Acceptances went out and I didn't get one. I contact my POI who confirmed I was not on the list.

What gives? It almost felt like lies or a game of some sort. I know that programs are in turn trying to sell them selvs to the applicants - but this was like used-car-salesman-crazy!

Anyone else get bizarrely OVERLY positive interview feedback but no follow-through?

That has not happened to me, but I have read a number of similar posts on this forum. I'm sorry that happened to you. We just have to remember that professors are not well-trained in interviewing protocol. . . . I'm not sure why the act so overly exuberant.

My guess: at the time they interviewed you, you were one of their first choices on paper. And, they know that you most likely were applying to other programs, so they really show their interest hoping that if they pick you, you will pick them. That's my guess.

that is awful......I really do think they should be more careful with their words.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I had a POI tell me I was at the top of his list and contact me several times. As a result, I turned down an interview at another school (shouldn't have done that--however, it was the same day as another institution so...)

anyway....I know offers went out and I never received one. Normally, I would be peeved, but I found out some information about the POI during interview weekend via grad students that makes me positive I will not be attending the school....basically they said I should go some place else.

My point is that I just wish POIs would be more careful about the interview process. I don't think it is fair for them to tell individuals they are their top choices...whether it is true or not. It makes things very difficult for the applicant.

At my first interview my POI didn't even know who I was or if I wanted to work with her, even though we had emailed each other several times. She was kind of rude and short with me-no surprise I was rejected post interview at that program.

At my next interview my POI was very positive. He had many nice things to say about my statement, letters or recommendation, and research experience. I have been confident I will get an offer from this school, but after reading the post above, I'm not so sure...

At my first interview my POI didn't even know who I was or if I wanted to work with her, even though we had emailed each other several times. She was kind of rude and short with me-no surprise I was rejected post interview at that program.

At my next interview my POI was very positive. He had many nice things to say about my statement, letters or recommendation, and research experience. I have been confident I will get an offer from this school, but after reading the post above, I'm not so sure...

Advice: Be optimistic but temper your excitement.

Good luck to you!!!!

Last year I had a great interview. Met with my POI for an hour, he only met with other students for a half an hour. Talked with all the students in his lab. Everyone was excited about the upcoming work and my interest. Several students came up and said that they see me as a perfect fit. I got a wink from one grad student about next year, and at the end of the interview with my POI he said "Well, welcome aboard!" I was kinda shocked and wanted to ask about this statement but it was what he said as he walked away. Needless to say I did not get an offer.

Last year I had a great interview. Met with my POI for an hour, he only met with other students for a half an hour. Talked with all the students in his lab. Everyone was excited about the upcoming work and my interest. Several students came up and said that they see me as a perfect fit. I got a wink from one grad student about next year, and at the end of the interview with my POI he said "Well, welcome aboard!" I was kinda shocked and wanted to ask about this statement but it was what he said as he walked away. Needless to say I did not get an offer.

Hmmmmm . . . maybe faculty need some training in how to interview. That's terrible. For clarification: It was your POI that said, "welcome aboard", correct? So wrong!

I have a sinking feeling that I too will get a rejection following an amazing interview experience. I interviewed on 2/19, so I can't say what the ultimate outcome is yet... except that I hit refresh on my email more than I breathe.

At my now favored (damm!t) school, I interviewed with 5 ppl.

1st PhD) POI: fantastic lengthy discussion about my research interests. She realized that I used to work under a former colleague & asked if she could contact her former coleague. I had no objections. When our allotted time elapsed, she asked if I could meet with her later in the day to con't discussing my research interests. At this point I am thrilled.

2nd PhD) I developed good rapport with person #2. Nothing remarkable to help or hurt my chances.

3rd PhD) FANTASTIC rapport with Dr. 3rd. He used some overly positive comments that other posters have mentioned (e.g. he said that I gave the best response he had ever heard during an interview, said I would fit in perfectly in the dept, gave complimentary responses to my research interests, etc).

4th PhD) I developed such good rapport that we spoke for over an hour. This interview ran over the entire time allotted for my last interview.

5th PhD) Dr. 5th was super sweet about me chatting through my original interview time. As it was lunch time, she allowed me to eat in her office so that I could receive my 5th and final interview.

Now the swan dive into the pavement:
I went on the campus tour, then the applicants were dismissed (READ: I never got to meet with the POI to con't our discussion). DIMWIT ME does NOT address the missed meeting in my Thank You letter. In fact, my POI did NOT respond to my Thank You letter (which has never happened to me following an intervew... so I look upon that as an omen).

Dr. 3rd promptly responds to my Thank You email, how I am such an "impressive and charming" candicate. Blah blah blah with compliments. Then at the end writes something to the effect that the decision making process is difficult given the qualifications of the candidates, so best of luck with your future endeavors.

On the bright side, I am enjoying the Olympics ...and hitting refresh on my email.

As I have posted before, a similar thing happened to me twice the last time I applied. In both instances, I was given more time with professors than the other candidates and the professors talked as though I was already admitted. Well, I think two factors came in play in my case: the economy (the schools may not have truly known how many students they could accept) and both POIs were new to the school (they may not have known fully how admission worked).

In retrospect, I am glad I did not get accepted to those programs, because I am happy to report that I got a verbal acceptance from a program that is a good fit for me and, in my opinion, is a better program than the others. (However, I am not going to reveal the name of the school until I receive the official letter. I still do not trust the system and I might jinx myself :scared:). So it may be in your best interest that you did not get accepted into that school (especially if the faculty intentional committed a major faux pas).

Good luck to all. I hope everything works out for everyone.